KTM Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im reassembling my engine and wanted to verify with someone

top dead center rear you line up the dots and "RE" on the cam gears
(you can see RE in the manual for this step)

then you turn 75 degrees to get top dead center front.. you line up the dots and "FR" for the front correct?

the cd manual leaves much to be desired.. it indicates line up these marks.. but the picture does not actually specify if your using RE or FR for each cylinder etc... thru taking the bike apart ktm does seem to do a good job of labeling what goes where so im assuming FR means front cams and RE stand for rear cam gears.. any verification would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
im reassembling my engine and wanted to verify with someone

top dead center rear you line up the dots and "RE" on the cam gears
(you can see RE in the manual for this step)

then you turn 75 degrees to get top dead center front.. you line up the dots and "FR" for the front correct?

the cd manual leaves much to be desired.. it indicates line up these marks.. but the picture does not actually specify if your using RE or FR for each cylinder etc... thru taking the bike apart ktm does seem to do a good job of labeling what goes where so im assuming FR means front cams and RE stand for rear cam gears.. any verification would be greatly appreciated.
Might want to take a peek at this.. basically the same engine. Scroll down to the cams section.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20Garage/Valves/cpmodem_method/valve_adjust.html

·
Registered
235 Posts
the adjustable cam gears on the rc8 are quite different unfortunately. il snap a picture tomorrow
Ah, gotcha. Haven't dived that far in myself. The sticky'd thread from PowerBrad talks about some timing bits on like pg. 5 or 6, I think. Not sure how much help that would be.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for anyone reading this thread the FR marks are incorrect, you need to line up the RE marks for the front and rear cylinders.

the picture the manual shows for the front cylinder is WRONG, they show the cam lobes up and inward which is the position they would be sitting in at the FR position.. this is 180 degrees off and your bike will only run on one cylinder... ask me how I know...

the RE position is the correct one, do not follow the indicated picture in the service manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts