KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just bought my first KTM. Having trouble with idle staying around 2.5-3k rpm (Do not have speedo, so it is my guess). The whole engine is rebuilt from previous owner, and needs to break-in.
So far I have tried adjusting the fuel screw no difference at all. Turning out Idle screw to the point where it almost stalls seems to work, but giving a little gas the rpm's goes up again. Spraying starting fluid around intake boots (maybe did a bad job with this). Choke doesn't seem to make a difference, runs the same with choke on. My next guess will be disassemble carburetor and clean it, just wanted to ask any other thoughts of you guys before I begin with carb.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Hello, just bought my first KTM. Having trouble with idle staying around 2.5-3k rpm (Do not have speedo, so it is my guess). The whole engine is rebuilt from previous owner, and needs to break-in.
So far I have tried adjusting the fuel screw no difference at all. Turning out Idle screw to the point where it almost stalls seems to work, but giving a little gas the rpm's goes up again. Spraying starting fluid around intake boots (maybe did a bad job with this). Choke doesn't seem to make a difference, runs the same with choke on. My next guess will be disassemble carburetor and clean it, just wanted to ask any other thoughts of you guys before I begin with carb.
Welcome to forum. What year is your EXC-F 250? I think the carbi was changed to a "throttle body" from approx 2012 and the bike got fuel injection.

Have you tried to adjust the throttle? Check if the throttle cable hangs up and does not allow the carbi/throttle body to close.
-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to forum. What year is your EXC-F 250? I think the carbi was changed to a "throttle body" from approx 2012 and the bike got fuel injection.

Have you tried to adjust the throttle? Check if the throttle cable hangs up and does not allow the carbi/throttle body to close.
-
Oh sorry, forgot to mention the year on the bike is 2008. Havent tried adjusting the throttle cable, because there is a little play on the throttle

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Oh sorry, forgot to mention the year on the bike is 2008. Havent tried adjusting the throttle cable, because there is a little play on the throttle
It could be as simple as a bent jet needle...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts