KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am toying with the idea of getting the SDGT, can any new owners give me some of their experiences and comments on their bikes good or bad.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hi all, I am toying with the idea of getting the SDGT, can any new owners give me some of their experiences and comments on their bikes good or bad.
Thanks in advance.
Paul
I have a '16 I bought new a year ago. Three warranty claims, all addressed. Sidestand tang, front master cylinder core replacement (no probs, just on the list), and the fuel gauge sensor froze and threw a code. (bike went into Rain mode, 6500 rpm limit, which is 100mph in 6th) All were repaired with updated parts. Also, the exhaust servo motor fried in slow traffic on a hot day, but I removed it myself and replaced it with the cheap dongle instead of doing a claim and then doing the dongle, which I would have done in any case.

Pretty sure the updated parts are already on the '19 model. Other than that, changed the windscreen for a large one, changed the bars for a custom bend I did myself and still need to address the stock seat. Warranty claims and custom parts aside, 10,000 miles in the last year and no desire to trade for anything else.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bought my '16 in fall of 2017; had a few warranty claims (same as above) all settled satisfactorily in the first month. Been perfect since then, and, now with 11,000 miles, it's the most enjoyable, best handling, quickest bike I've ever had. I bought my first bike in 1971, so I've had a few.

I find myself going thru a lot of rear tires though😁😁

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a leftover '16 last year, it had a few teething issues, caliper recall, exhaust servo, taken care of under warranty. 8000+ and still one of the most comfortable and the most fun mc I've ever owned, been riding since '65. Over 1,000,000 miles on 2 wheels.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought my '16 in fall of 2017; had a few warranty claims (same as above) all settled satisfactorily in the first month. Been perfect since then, and, now with 11,000 miles, it's the most enjoyable, best handling, quickest bike I've ever had. I bought my first bike in 1971, so I've had a few.

I find myself going thru a lot of rear tires though😁😁
Tyres are there to be abused, not worried about tyre life as an owner of a Gen 2 Hayabusa.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 16' but I can share what I know.

The good: The motor, the motor, the motor! Everything on the bike is great if you like your tourer on the sportier end of the spectrum. The brakes, suspension, motor, handling, etc. are all premium stuff and feel like it. Also, each of the systems are smoothly integrated to create a bike that is more than the sum of it's parts. It also is a seriously engineered and built motorcycle. It has been engineered to handle a lot of power and does so with a feeling of confidence and effortlessness. It can flatter a rider and in the hands of a good rider, holy smokes they are scary fast. The ergonomics are adjustable so a good fit is within the reach of most riders, the windshield is small but I think well chose for the bike's intended purpose. I have had bike with no windshield all the way to tourers with barn door sized screens. I really like the size and function of the windshield on the SDGT. the on/off throttle response is the best I've ever felt on a motorcycle. Other positive notables are great handling, semi-active suspension, saddlebags, a biggish fuel tank, and decent wind protection. All in all, I think KTM has found a "sweet spot" when they designed the SDGT, great power, handling, comfort, and a real handlebar instead of clip ons. It's widely reported that it is the best bike many of us have ridden.

The bad: Teething problems at first. There are a lot of "premium" operating systems in place on the GT. If one breaks you won't have a Japanese priced part to replace and having to replace expensive things like exhaust valve motors doesn't feel reassuring. This also applies to crashing. I saw a crashed GT in my local shop and the parts list price was eye watering. They are also very tall. I have heard of soft warped disks, a bouncy comfort suspension setting, and lubing the chain is tedious, rear hubs have come loose, water in the swingarm, and so forth. You'll have to deal with a single sided swingarm. New stands, torque wrench, and giant sockets will need to be added to the garage. Hypothetically it's like buying an old Porsche. You go in knowing that you eventually will be standing in line at the dealership to buy a list of expensive parts or it might be in the shop for a while. It's the expensive toy dilemma that comes with most expensive toys. I only have about 14k mi. on my bike but I have had some issues after the warranty ran out and KTM has been very responsive and helpful. I haven't heard of any high mileage GTs yet. Too early to know how they are long term. Finally, the saddlebags such. The GT is built on a short sportbike platform so there had to be cutouts in the bags to accommodate a passenger's legs. There are better tourers and better sportbikes but for an all day ride or a short tour it is, in my opinion, it is a peerless weapon. A BMW GS will give you more buttons and comfort but it can't touch the GT in power or handling. The GT is in another league.

·
Registered
948 Posts
G'day Paulaj,

Hmmm, a High-Abuser driver eh? :)laugh2:)....... you will have to accept that the inferior V2 motor will only make 150hp on the dyno compared to nearly 200 from your Busa :wink2:.

That said, the SDGT is way lighter (233kg wet), more situp (but still a nice neutral lean to the bars) and a whole lot of fun. It isn't perfect, but grows on you. Nothing will ever replace that wonderful 4 cyl power and sophistication, but there's something about a 1300cc 2cyl lump that brings the best of a rider out.

I have a 17GT (new in Feb 017) but the 2019 is different, yet the same...... it has a different screen/fairing/headlight motor etc etc but it is still all SDGT - just a bit more refined than our model..... although, once we get the ECU upgraded to 19 spec, there's really no difference apart from looks and the USB socket in the extra cubby pockets.

I had an enforced 'rest' which denied me any riding in 2018, so I'm only a low km owner (would have been up around 30k by now..... but that's history), yet I really like this thing..... it's light, quick, has great tank range (400kms) and is easy to work on. It stops well, handles and steers like magic..... but it is a crossover style between the big trail bikes (eg 1190etc) and a sports bike....... so it's not everything to everyone.

You should ignore the early 2016 issues as they have all been resolved (whatever their cause)..... you are looking at the 2019 which has all the best of the SDGT's, with improvements. Your only issue will be with dealership location/service reputation....... although my GT starts everytime and behaves just like my Honda CBR1100XX, some owners have had issues with modifications which might bring up scary 'warning' alerts...... it's just life in the high tech software world...... nothing wrong with the bike. Occasionally some report waxy blockages in oil jets, but we don't know what oil was used - and these are a small number of posts - there are many many more complaints on other forums ( eg Aprilia/BMW/Ducati etc etc) that would make your hair curl :laugh2:.

There are high mileage units that post on here (keep reading, the GT has been around for 3.5 yrs and it's quite common to see 40K kms on 16/17 models)..... @JoePalma (or was it Pablo...??)has 70,000kms+, and on the other forum my contacts have +40k kms up, all are happy. I met a guy that doesn't bother with forums - he had 43k kms up and was arranging a new chain & sprockets for the first time - he was very happy with his 17GT. I think all the new gen high tech bikes can have some problems if their owners try to mess with stuff before they understand what they are doing, otherwise, the SDGT is a well made, reliable, high quality machine....... :grin2: ..... mine uses zero oil :clap:..... unlike that Italian bike I traded in on the GT.

Try to get a test ride to be sure - V2's are not to everybody's liking - some adaptation is required, but I'm in no hurry to go back to a 4cyl race bike when I can ride an SDGT.

:grin2:

PS DG Rig's post is very comprehensive - keep in mind 16-18 SDGT's need to have the free software upgrade to 2019 specs. The 2019 model comes with the faster software that gives Ohlins like standards (I have Ohlins on my CBR1100XX hence I know the feeling)...... and so far, KTM service/spares/accessories pricing has been reasonable here in Australia..... but I haven't crashed my SDGT (and don't intend to - but I have insurance just in case, and the premium is also comparable with other new bikes = $540pa comp with Swann Ins.... I chose the $1k excess to save on annual premium :wink2:).

PPs.... one small issue with 2019 SDGT's is some units had a problem with their right hand switch gear - it was wired internally with slightly shorter wiring which caused starting problems - there is already a new part number, and dealers simply change the entire switchblock. Later builds might even have the revised switchblock installed at assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. I am tired of multi cylinder bikes and want a more comfortabke riding position with good wind screening.
I have already had V twins (SPI Honda and TLR Suzuki) back in the early days and love the V twin characteristics. Will be taking a test ride in Bristol soon but wont buy until I return to Perth Oz.
Trying to find a dealer in Perth that sells them is a challenge!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cheers PJ...... there's a few SDGT's over in Perth Au...... if they don't post on here they must be on the Super Twins forum site. There should be a KTM dealer in town..... the Aussie KTM importer's warehouse is located in Perth WA...... :grin2:.

I think you'll get on well with the 19GT....... it gets some nice internal tweaks to the donk, like a 0.5kg heavier crankshaft for a more torque'y feel down low, titanium inlet valves like the SDR for an extra 500rpm to the red line, and a very nice 6" TFT dash from the SAS - which sits up higher and can be adjusted for angle so the mid morning sun doesn't reflect into your eyes like my old style 17dash is prone to do..... :laugh2:.

The ignition is a keyless/fob type on the 19, and the new screen is more sturdy than the older design. You'll probably find the aftermarket screen makers haven't designed any alternative styles to the standard KTM clear/tinted part yet - we had the same issue back in 2016...... but they will come - or you can fit an MRA X-creen 'Touring' size wing deflector to the standard screen with good effect....... the 16-18 model screens will not fit the 19 model.

Oh, and the cruise control on the left is a lot easier to use. Standard handguards save time ordering any of the accessory styles we had to find for our earlier models. The KTM side cases are 30L (same as mine and still key operated) and are ok for solo, but you can buy racks to fit other luggage (soft/hard styles, eg I can run Givi 40L cases by using a quick release SWMotec rack).....although the KTM Shad cases are nice and light (3kg ea) and close fitting (92cm wide). Top cases and racks are avail too, KTM(made by Shad) or other brands...... plenty to look at.

Happy hunting :grin2:.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks in advance.
Paul
Hi Paula

I got mine in April, and have over 5000 miles on it already, second set of tires. Have had zero issues with it. It is my main means of transportation, since my wife and I only have one car. I commute every day on it. Have been on a 7 week, 2500 mile trip on it last May. Absolutely amazing. I'm sure you've read the reviews...Assuming what you are looking for is the same as most here, this is the best street bike money can buy right now (yep, I said it again).
Make sure when you get yours that they have the latest TFT dash software update. I had issues with the bluetooth pairing at first which were fixed by this update (first world problems..:grin2: )

Anyway, here is the thread where I couldn't eat or sleep in anticipation:
https://www.ktmforums.com/forums/super-duke/128140-picking-up-my-2019-sdgt-white-saturday-cant-sleep-concentrate-anything.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hen's teeth

G'day Paula,

I bought a 19GT a couple of months ago, and it was about the second last one available anywhere on the east coast (Australia). KTM Aus didn't order many 19s as the last model didn't sell particularly well, and they got caught short. I had to fly up to Brisbane (from Melbourne) to test ride and buy my bike. There was one other (white) available in NSW but I wanted the black one. Very happy with it so far, after about 2500km, and no issues apart from a one-off failure to switch on very late at night. It has been suggested that this was caused by a switch block problem, however I suspect it was due to a sticky electronic steering lock: as it's "worn in" the problem has gone away. I would think that if it was due to a wiring problem, it should have gotten worse. Anyway, my 19 is replacing a Ducati Multistrada 1200S and the KTM is better in almost every way. The Ducati's Ohlins suspension is better on rough bitumen, and the Ducati's 90 degree V twin is better/smoother at slow speed up my steep driveway, but I am learning to slip the clutch more on the KTM (small negative). I am still getting used to the "anti-dive" feeling in comfort and street modes, which made me feel less confident when cornering under brakes, but that will improve with time.

I bought some extra KTM Power Parts (heated seat, tinted screen, fender eliminator) and am very happy with the fit and finish. Also, my "local" KTM dealer is happy servicing a bike he didn't sell me, which is nice!

Good luck finding a '19. If you can't, I am sure you'll find a great deal on a 17 or 18, assuming you're happy with the different look.

R

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cheers @RobbyKTM......

That tall gearing is only a sprocket away from being a lot nicer....... I totally recommend you order a $50 Supersprox 40T from your local dealer and take 15-20 mins to fit it (just make sure you put the pretty machined side facing in like the oem sprocket to line up with the front sprocket).

I have tested a 16t front sprocket with good results..... in fact, if you want to make use of the 6th gear and still keep your licence...... 16/40 is the go...... but I also liked the 17/40 combo and just used the bike as a 5 speeder.

I might try the 16/38 again one day just to make sure, but my GT is nice in traffic and still gets 19k/ltr on the freeway with 16/40 (and I see myself using 6th more often without chugging the motor)...... The speedo is not affected (has always been 2% error - Garmin Satnav checked) and the chain doesn't require lengthening. It's just an adjustment, not a warranty/modification issue.

:smile2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the informative replies. I will be taking a test ride of the SDGT in Bristol Uk very soon before I finally return to Western Australia. Very much looking forward to this as a comparison to the Hayabusa which is my current steed. The Hayabusa will be sold when back in Oz regardless.
Cheers
Paul.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks all for the informative replies. I will be taking a test ride of the SDGT in Bristol Uk very soon before I finally return to Western Australia. Very much looking forward to this as a comparison to the Hayabusa which is my current steed. The Hayabusa will be sold when back in Oz regardless.
Cheers
Paul.
Careful: if you test a '19 and fall in love with it, you might be **** outta luck when you get back to Aus as there aren't many (if any) left. You might have to bring one home in your luggage! Or wait for the 2020 model :wink2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cheers @RobbyKTM......

That tall gearing is only a sprocket away from being a lot nicer....... I totally recommend you order a $50 Supersprox 40T from your local dealer and take 15-20 mins to fit it (just make sure you put the pretty machined side facing in like the oem sprocket to line up with the front sprocket).

I have tested a 16t front sprocket with good results..... in fact, if you want to make use of the 6th gear and still keep your licence...... 16/40 is the go...... but I also liked the 17/40 combo and just used the bike as a 5 speeder.

I might try the 16/38 again one day just to make sure, but my GT is nice in traffic and still gets 19k/ltr on the freeway with 16/40 (and I see myself using 6th more often without chugging the motor)...... The speedo is not affected (has always been 2% error - Garmin Satnav checked) and the chain doesn't require lengthening. It's just an adjustment, not a warranty/modification issue.

:smile2:
BTW: What is the standard final gearing? I guess I can look it up.

I lowered the gearing on the Ducati for similar reasons, although it was always smoother down low than the KTM. I find the KTM needs at least 3,000 - 3,500 RPM to get up my driveway smoothly. That's at least 500 RPM more than the Ducati.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Careful: if you test a '19 and fall in love with it, you might be **** outta luck when you get back to Aus as there aren't many (if any) left. You might have to bring one home in your luggage! Or wait for the 2020 model :wink2:
I had to wait 6 months. My previous bike got totaled in June of 2018. I was about to pull the trigger on the current SDGT at the time (2018 or 2017 model), when a buddy forwarded me an article with spy shots of the prototype 2019 SDGT with a bunch of obvious upgrades (including front end and TFT dash).
I was so glad I saw that in time!

For the next 6 months I watched the rumors grow, then the official press release. Put a deposit in January and picked mine up in April. I guess it was 10 months wait then, not 6!
It was so worth it. If you can't find a 2019, I would wait for the 2020.

·
Registered
948 Posts
BTW: What is the standard final gearing? .
Cheers @RobbyKTM

OEM is 17/38 and is just a little bit too tall eg you are probably using 2nd for 60kph traffic and 4th for 90 - 100 kph, and slipping the clutch from 3000rpms for stop lights or crawling road works.

17/40 increases 250 rpms (in 5th at 100kph) - 6th is still useless, but this makes real world riding more natural.

16/38 increases 500 rpms ( " " " ) - I must re-test this as I didn't warm to it at first.... felt like it lost torque, but now I'm not so sure.....

16/40 increases 750rpms ( " " " ) - slightly hard core.... gives excellent speed limit gearing (no chuggy moments) but you need to shift a bit faster than say with the 17/40 combo - the GT engine spins up so fast once you get over 6-9k rpms, the shift light seems to be on in an instant >:).

The real issue is with the internal gearbox ratio's.... 6th is just way too big a gap over 5th and no sprocket can compensate for it.... I think it is a 700rpm gap to 5th.

The 40T rear is the cheapest and quickest adjustment and feels as grunty as the oem with reduced chuggy moments, so I'd say try it first (the rear quick change system on these SS swing arms is brilliant). Just fit the sprocket into the chain first before reattaching to the hub as it will be tight with a low km chain - back the chain adjuster fully off and make sure the sprocket bolts are properly seated on the disk side). I had to wait months for new stock of 40T sproxs so I had 10,000kms up before I could change the sprocket - your's might be a squeeze due to newness.

I intend to give the 16/38 another try soon, though the 16/40 gels well with traffic it has a less torquey/abrupt feel and requires some faster cog swapping...... did you know Ducati MS1200 & 1260 use 15T front sprockets? It's all a trick of the internal gearbox ratio's.... the SDGT is just that little bit rough with the tallish euro ratios. Also, it is very true the 90deg V2 is very smooth.... I had a Caponord 1200 and it was a real smoothie, but my GT is not far off that level of smoothness, and is 40kg lighter and has 50hp more at the wheel :grin2:..... and uses zero oil :clap:.

PS The motor might never be a low rpm cruiser as it has a very light crankshaft (I think your model has 1/2kg heavier crank than mine, for an increased feeling of torque)..... it may well be that the 19 is much stronger feeling at low rpm (eg 3000) than our 16-18 GT's - so you may not need more than +2 teeth on the rear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have just purchased probably the last black GT on the east coast (maybe..).

It replaces an XR and GS. I've been a BMW fan for the last 5 years, and it was time for a change. I've owned lots of boxers and 1000cc beemers over that time.

I've also owned a B-King and a Busa (and a ZX14), so I'm very familiar with those bikes.

The last V twin I owned was a V-Strom 20 years ago...I have been getting used to strong engine braking again!

The bike is dominated by the engine. A monster. As has been said above, it is overgeared - I will order a 40t rear shortly.

I tried 6th on the M1 motorway today....it is OK over 130....:smile2:

The screen isn't bad. Over 100 the windblast is strong, but smooth - no turbulence. Your helmet is in the wind. 80 and below is fine.

I'm used to the GS/XR sit up riding position - I lifted the GT's bars 20mm with a SW Motech spacer. Much better than stock, but I will probably move them up and back a bit more.

If you are coming from a Bus, you will be fine with the stock position.

Brakes are great - the front is as good as the XR, without the initial (too savage) bite.

My bike has the power parts seats. Better than stock...but still a bit hard.

The GT is visceral. It just wants to go hard, all the time....

It goes like it looks...angry!

But, you can still dawdle around if you want to be mellow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Troppo! I too have a BMW S1000XR and love it; however, I'm considering the 2019 SD GT in black. I've taken it for a test ride a couple of times and it doesn't feel quite as quick handling (as flickable) as my XR. It also doesn't feel quite as quick as my XR. I've owned a Ducati in the past, so I've had the V-twin experience. Is the GT as fun or more fun to ride as the XR? Does it handle as well or better? Are you happy with the change? Do you miss the XR? Any input to help me make the decision is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Troppo! I too have a BMW S1000XR and love it; however, I'm considering the 2019 SD GT in black. I've taken it for a test ride a couple of times and it doesn't feel quite as quick handling (as flickable) as my XR. It also doesn't feel quite as quick as my XR. I've owned a Ducati in the past, so I've had the V-twin experience. Is the GT as fun or more fun to ride as the XR? Does it handle as well or better? Are you happy with the change? Do you miss the XR? Any input to help me make the decision is greatly appreciated.
The GT took some getting used to for me. I came from a Honda 919. It had 62 ft-lb of torque at the wheel but it was mostly available from idle/lower rpms. So not nearly as much power as the XR but probably a similar delivery.

When I got the GT I felt like something was off because when I hammered the throttle from lower rpms it didn’t seem to blast off quite like I was expecting (having 35 or so more ft-lb at the wheel than the 919). Of course the added stability and wind protection also probably played a role in perception.
Once I got the feel for what it liked, I started cruising at 4500-5000 rpms. And when I am riding aggressively or ready to make moves in traffic, I keep it in the gear that has it at 5500 or over. Then all that juicy torque is right there (it has good torque lower, but that’s where I feel like the insane pulling starts).

If you aren’t getting it up there in the rpms (due to it being a test ride) or expecting the power to come in hard at 3500-4500 rpm, it probably feels lacking when compared to the XR.
But it shines when riding it in a similar manner as described above.

I posted a video in another thread of some nice riding of an XR and SDR through the twisties and some straight line pulls and they appear to be very evenly matched.
To me the X factor for the KTM is the wild torque pull of the V-twin in 2nd-4th gear at 5500 rpm and above.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts