KTM Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Troppo! I too have a BMW S1000XR and love it; however, I'm considering the 2019 SD GT in black. I've taken it for a test ride a couple of times and it doesn't feel quite as quick handling (as flickable) as my XR. It also doesn't feel quite as quick as my XR. I've owned a Ducati in the past, so I've had the V-twin experience. Is the GT as fun or more fun to ride as the XR? Does it handle as well or better? Are you happy with the change? Do you miss the XR? Any input to help me make the decision is greatly appreciated.
Hello.

I had 3 years on the XR and only about a week on the GT, but I can certainly feel the difference.

The power delivery is very different. The GT has it all in the low/mid range, whereas the XR (as you know) likes to rev. My engine is still tight (850 km), but I have had it up past 8k a couple of times and the pull felt the same as the XR at the top.

Where the GT feels stronger is in the mid range - especially coming out of a corner.

Re handling - I've been getting used to the engine, so haven't been concentrating on the handling that much, but, in general terms, the GT handles as well as the XR. It comes down to tyres - my XR had mega sticky Rossi Diablo 3s and the GT has sport touring rubber. It feels as flickable, although the "flickability" may be down to bar leverage to a certain extent - the XRs bars are bigger..

The brakes are better than the XR for real world riding - the front doesn't have that harsh initial bite that you had to watch out for on the XR, but is equally powerful.

The instruments are much better on the GT, but the lack of a dedicated button for the heated grips is a PITA - however, the grips work better than the XR - much hotter.

The riding position is more bent over on the GT - I have fitted risers, as I like to sit up like the XR.

In summary, yes, I'm happy I made the change. The GT is a much more visceral motorcycle - the XR tends to be a bit soul less.

I've had beemers for 5 years, and I wanted a change.

Bottom line - yes, it is more engaging and fun to ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cheers @RobbyKTM

OEM is 17/38 and is just a little bit too tall eg you are probably using 2nd for 60kph traffic and 4th for 90 - 100 kph, and slipping the clutch from 3000rpms for stop lights or crawling road works.

17/40 increases 250 rpms (in 5th at 100kph) - 6th is still useless, but this makes real world riding more natural.

16/38 increases 500 rpms ( " " " ) - I must re-test this as I didn't warm to it at first.... felt like it lost torque, but now I'm not so sure.....

16/40 increases 750rpms ( " " " ) - slightly hard core.... gives excellent speed limit gearing (no chuggy moments) but you need to shift a bit faster than say with the 17/40 combo - the GT engine spins up so fast once you get over 6-9k rpms, the shift light seems to be on in an instant >:).

The real issue is with the internal gearbox ratio's.... 6th is just way too big a gap over 5th and no sprocket can compensate for it.... I think it is a 700rpm gap to 5th.

The 40T rear is the cheapest and quickest adjustment and feels as grunty as the oem with reduced chuggy moments, so I'd say try it first (the rear quick change system on these SS swing arms is brilliant). Just fit the sprocket into the chain first before reattaching to the hub as it will be tight with a low km chain - back the chain adjuster fully off and make sure the sprocket bolts are properly seated on the disk side). I had to wait months for new stock of 40T sproxs so I had 10,000kms up before I could change the sprocket - your's might be a squeeze due to newness.

I intend to give the 16/38 another try soon, though the 16/40 gels well with traffic it has a less torquey/abrupt feel and requires some faster cog swapping...... did you know Ducati MS1200 & 1260 use 15T front sprockets? It's all a trick of the internal gearbox ratio's.... the SDGT is just that little bit rough with the tallish euro ratios. Also, it is very true the 90deg V2 is very smooth.... I had a Caponord 1200 and it was a real smoothie, but my GT is not far off that level of smoothness, and is 40kg lighter and has 50hp more at the wheel :grin2:..... and uses zero oil :clap:.

PS The motor might never be a low rpm cruiser as it has a very light crankshaft (I think your model has 1/2kg heavier crank than mine, for an increased feeling of torque)..... it may well be that the 19 is much stronger feeling at low rpm (eg 3000) than our 16-18 GT's - so you may not need more than +2 teeth on the rear.
Thanks heaps for all the detail Dave. Regarding the Ducati, yes: I dropped my front sprocket to a 14, so I am considering dropping a tooth off the front on the GT as well. Perhaps the 40T rear will be a good, easy compromise. I'll see if my friendly service guy has one available.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to Troppo and PC1978 for some really good info! I'm headed to my local dealer to see what kind of deal I can put together.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The 20mm risers were good, but I wanted more, so went the SW Motech 30 up/20 back combo.

Just back from a quick 40 km ride. Very good. The lines are not tight at full lock.

The engine is addictive! The whole bike has a raw edge that you don't get with Beemers...

·
Registered
948 Posts
G'day Troppo,

Very neat looking risers.....

I'm not sure if you have clued onto tyre pressures for your very new SDGT. I worked that out very quickly when I first bought my 17GT and a few of the guys have mentioned they have had an 'off' while riding with 36f & 42r.

I have run with 34/35psi front and 36/37psi rear since 2017 and have had great grip/feeling and my oem Angel GT tyres lasted 15,000kms if you are concerned..... they wore very nicely, but I wouldn't trust them with the overzealous KTM handbook pressure (which I can only assume is for rider + passenger and luggage up to the max carrying capacity).

My guys (at Tony Armstrong KTM) didn't know how to re-set the trigger pressures in the TPMS way back in Feb 2017, so they just killed the "warnng" message and left the TPMS system active so I can check my pressures on the fly. (The warnings would know when I was mid corner and come on to scare me when I was busy :wink2:).

I have read that some dealers can now set the trigger pressures lower (eg say 30psi f & R) so the warning message can be retained yet allow you to use more sensible pressures.

Might see you up on the Beechmont loop or at Canungra one day :grin2:...... I'll be the only other Orange GT (unless Mrslackloin or any other new owners happen to be around :laugh2:).

Cheers...... got that 40T ordered yet? Only $45...... just read how to install it first as it only lines up one way with the drive sprocket :wink2:.

PS Just use it as a 5speed...... 6th is too tall to be of any use and the motor doesn't like struggling at low revs (I test rode an S1000XR and it liked 5k+ rpms too).

·
Registered
187 Posts
G'day Troppo,

I'm not sure if you have clued onto tyre pressures for your very new SDGT. I worked that out very quickly when I first bought my 17GT and a few of the guys have mentioned they have had an 'off' while riding with 36f & 42r.

I have run with 34/35psi front and 36/37psi rear since 2017 and have had great grip/feeling and my oem Angel GT tyres lasted 15,000kms if you are concerned..... they wore very nicely, but I wouldn't trust them with the overzealous KTM handbook pressure (which I can only assume is for rider + passenger and luggage up to the max carrying capacity).

My guys (at Tony Armstrong KTM) didn't know how to re-set the trigger pressures in the TPMS way back in Feb 2017, so they just killed the "warnng" message and left the TPMS system active so I can check my pressures on the fly. (The warnings would know when I was mid corner and come on to scare me when I was busy :wink2:).

I have read that some dealers can now set the trigger pressures lower (eg say 30psi f & R) so the warning message can be retained yet allow you to use more sensible pressures.

Might see you up on the Beechmont loop or at Canungra one day :grin2:...... I'll be the only other Orange GT (unless Mrslackloin or any other new owners happen to be around :laugh2:).

Cheers...... got that 40T ordered yet? Only $45...... just read how to install it first as it only lines up one way with the drive sprocket :wink2:.

PS Just use it as a 5speed...... 6th is too tall to be of any use and the motor doesn't like struggling at low revs (I test rode an S1000XR and it liked 5k+ rpms too).
Thanks mate - I have been using 36/40...will drop to 35/38. 40t sprocket is on the agenda shortly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just wanted to thank every one on this thread for their input about the SDGT. I rode home a new 2019 SDGT a few days ago! I came off of a 2016 BMW S1000XR. I know many of you mentioned things like the SDGT was more "engaging" or that the XR didn't have "soul", but I just wasn't sure what you meant. I do now! The XR is an amazing bike and totally fun to ride, but I hadn't noticed how it never really was a part of me. Just riding the SDGT these past few days I've noticed what it was I was missing. I now feel one with the bike. I've missed that. I know the bond will just get stronger the more miles I put on it. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
187 Posts
G'day Troppo,

Tried 35/38. Good. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a black one in Sydney 2 months ago, the salesman told me there were 3 left in Australia at that point and no more coming in until the end of the year.
I've only ever ridden inline 4's (apart from dirt bikes) and the KTM's power delivery is obviously completely different, it's very addictive and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I lose my license again. It's definitely a hooligan bike with a screen and very confidence-inspiring in the twisties.

Seat is a little firm but sheepskin should fix that, the wife and I heading off for a 3 day weekend so will know more next week. Other than that, the seating position is pretty good for long days or back road blasting.

I've done 2,500kms on it so far and other than the firm seat my only niggle is the quickshifter. The issue between 1st and 2nd is an obvious one and I've changed my technique which has improved the neutrals but when I first got the bike it used to jump into false neutral between 3rd and 4th. Also had issues with down shifting, which can be disconcerting when you're coming into a corner hot... Had it looked at during the run-in service and was assured everything is ok. It seems to be improving due to wearing in or improved technique and overall I'm very happy with the bike. It's a very capable bike in the twisties and does a reasonable job at touring.

Here's my baby...

SDGT3.jpg

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That is weird. I have an 2018 SDR and when in rain mode it goes beyond 6500rpm. Is that a new feature on the GT?
"Rain" mode and "Limp" mode are apparently one and the same on the 2016. The ESE was plugged in, the servo and cables removed and the error code erased-all good. Rain mode limits output to 100 hp, so whatever rpm that occurs at.....It was 6500 for me.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hen's teeth

G'day Paula,

I bought a 19GT a couple of months ago, and it was about the second last one available anywhere on the east coast (Australia). KTM Aus didn't order many 19s as the last model didn't sell particularly well, and they got caught short. I had to fly up to Brisbane (from Melbourne) to test ride and buy my bike. There was one other (white) available in NSW but I wanted the black one. Very happy with it so far, after about 2500km, and no issues apart from a one-off failure to switch on very late at night. It has been suggested that this was caused by a switch block problem, however I suspect it was due to a sticky electronic steering lock: as it's "worn in" the problem has gone away. I would think that if it was due to a wiring problem, it should have gotten worse. Anyway, my 19 is replacing a Ducati Multistrada 1200S and the KTM is better in almost every way. The Ducati's Ohlins suspension is better on rough bitumen, and the Ducati's 90 degree V twin is better/smoother at slow speed up my steep driveway, but I am learning to slip the clutch more on the KTM (small negative). I am still getting used to the "anti-dive" feeling in comfort and street modes, which made me feel less confident when cornering under brakes, but that will improve with time.

I bought some extra KTM Power Parts (heated seat, tinted screen, fender eliminator) and am very happy with the fit and finish. Also, my "local" KTM dealer is happy servicing a bike he didn't sell me, which is nice!

Good luck finding a '19. If you can't, I am sure you'll find a great deal on a 17 or 18, assuming you're happy with the different look.

R
Which fender eliminator did you buy? And does it affect the bags being on?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That is weird. I have an 2018 SDR and when in rain mode it goes beyond 6500rpm. Is that a new feature on the GT?
Some say "limp mode" or even "wimp mode" This was not a dialed-up mode but was caused by the ECU throwing the "MTC" code. Since I've never used "Rain" mode, I assumed it was limited. I know it's limited horsepower-wise but do not know how that's accomplished.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Which fender eliminator did you buy? And does it affect the bags being on?
I bought the KTM PowerParts unit and it fits well and looks good. I don't have side bags but there's no way they'd be affected given the eliminator is smaller than the original part.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The power parts fender looks like it should fit because it extends out somewhat.

The interference occurs when the replacement fender is closer to the bike. The signals can be in the same position left/right but if they are now positioned closer to the bike they interfere.

I bought a $50 one off of eBay. There was slight interference/bend but I lived with it because I didn’t use the bags a lot and the bend wasn’t bad. Also the stock signals have a flexible part to the tubing to support the bend without risk of breaking.

The other one that looks like it should work, as long as it is as pictured is the R&G. It places the signals over the plate instead of off to the sides.
CFCA883B-98BA-4365-9D77-F21C379ECF8D.jpeg
AA8151CE-F5E1-4554-83F2-745273639BC9.jpeg

21 - 37 of 37 Posts