KTM Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
That's a little above my knowledge of the motor is the pin number 14 in the diagram?

G'day all,

There's another thread on here somewhere..... with really good pics of failed rocker bearings etc etc ...... I'll try to find it again....

·
Registered
927 Posts
G'day all,

There's another thread on here somewhere..... with really good pics of failed rocker bearings etc etc ...... I'll try to find it again....

Ahaaa...... found it....... in the 'Duke' section, thread title "Extra valve tapping noise"........ if you haven't already spotted it......... also, just saw a U tube video on another thread but thought it was this one.... it was more a how to inspect/change the rocker arm.

·
Registered
927 Posts
@DaveAu
Im calling bullshiiiiiiy on the last rocker with the + tool marks, thats the newest version rocker, but to get that much radial play 1 roller rod must be missing.
These things are designed not to wear like that.

:surprise:..... errrr, forgive me but, I don't get it........ I don't have a 690, so haven't a clue what you're calling BS on :innocent:

Have you got me confused with the OP or other?

:cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
:surprise: 'Not a common occurance'....... :surprise:....... that would be his way of backing out of any warranty or any further dealership assistance - not that I'm experienced with the 690, but there seems to be a common thread on forums dealing with rocker arm bearings failures on certain models.

One thought I had which may have relevance...... oil....... what oil do you use? And how often do you change it?

I only ask this because after years of wondering - I have only recently discovered that some of the oils we take for granted as being "the best" are actually no good for regular road riders..... in particular, the racing double esthers (I have read the marketing blurb sheets claiming they are suitable for street bikes however - a Motul contact and several service tech's and a recent bike magazine published oil article advise that racing blends have no long life polymers for extended street/touring riding) - you might only do 2000km a year racing so might be ok?.

As an example...... my Honda Blackbird has done 130,000 kms with no detectable change to valve clearances using Motul 5100 (semisyn/mid strength FS...????) 10w50 oil with changes every 6000kms (=half manufacturers spec schedule). When it had 114,000kms up it's cam chain and tensioner needed replacing...... that was an unmistakable continuous loud rattle..... not the valv'ie clatter on your video :wink2:.

I suspect your valves haven't worn, but your rocker arm bearing has - thus the change to the clearances....... :surprise:...... but like I said...... not a 690 expert...... :wink2:
It is certainly more common than I thought!

https://tinyurl.com/KTMRockerbearingfailures

·
Registered
174 Posts
@DaveAu
Im calling bullshiiiiiiy on the last rocker with the + tool marks, thats the newest version rocker, but to get that much radial play 1 roller rod must be missing.
These things are designed not to wear like that.
What did KTM do to rectify the problem on the newer + type?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That I am not sure of....but at the end of the day we are rocking simple, high revving motors....it could be a combination of wear everywhere. heh

·
Registered
182 Posts
Could you explain why the pins are punched/not punched? I'd imagine them to be hardened steel. Thanks

There is a video in German, or Austrian or some language in that area, by pirate racing where they fix the issue. The language barrier is unimportant.

I used to comment valve lever bearings on the bottom of random comments but nobody really ever seemed to give a damn. It's a **** design by KTM.

·
Full Throttle
5,686 Posts
There is a video in German, or Austrian or some language in that area, by pirate racing where they fix the issue. The language barrier is unimportant.

I used to comment valve lever bearings on the bottom of random comments but nobody really ever seemed to give a damn. It's a **** design by KTM.
Design ok , factory tooling has let us down.
Design and factory tooling was adequate pre 2012 motor, New 2012 motor has different vibe as remember they made the balancer shaft for 2012 690.
Ive often viewed pirate racing vids, glad you mentioned it because it really shows some evidence .
Here a german tuner,mech and motor builder with a fairly high reputation in race circles, everybody watch the vid with the autotranslate.
We are talking a 2015\2016 vid where the guy wants to capture the problem on video because it was internet rumours etc.
Nevermind the 80hp 2005-2011 lc4 motors.

Another part of the evidence shows up when he states about the newer lighter grey metal being used and the older dark grey rockers before are different.

Theres 3 evolutions or more with the rocker.
The dark grey with no tool marks in the pin
The dark grey and lighter grey rockers with the punch mark in the centre of the pin
Lighter grey with + tooling mark on the pin.

I would do exactly what pirate suggests aswell, any owners running 2012-2015 motors with the type of cam roller, take them out and get them punched by someone who has the tools, even show them the vid. If you put new rockers in just punch them too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Excellent video and description. And a humble guy who knows what he is talking about! - I couldn't understand how centre punching the pin would sort it - but "peening" over the pin ends makes perfect sense.

The roller design has been around for a long time and is a good design, it's a question mark over materials used to execute the design. There is something very wrong with metallurgy and quality control when this is happening along with VW engines breaking timing chains/sprockets and Mercedes V6 engines are stripping balance shaft teeth at 40,000 miles in this day! :surprise:

Attachments

41 - 60 of 71 Posts