KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bid farewell to the 2019 GT.

She has been replaced with a new R.

I only have about 30 km on the new girl...but...wow!

Better in every way. The FI is amazingly good. Smooooth.

It tips in beautifully (new tyres notwithstanding...), the front brakes are like hitting a brick wall (yet progressive), and the electronics and TFT dash are great - the TFT gives you all the info you really need, and remainder is hidden, to be called up with a button press if needed.

The new switch gear is good as well.

The quickshifter and gearbox are noticeably better than the GT.

I moved the bars to the most rearward of 4 positions, and the ergos aren't too bad. Will suck it and see, and if needs be, will lift the bars a bit.

Oh, and race shift is only 1 bolt away.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very wise decision. When I took out a 2019 GT when my (2018) R was in for a service I felt like I was on a jet propelled arm chair - definitely not for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! Great pic, too!
Bit jealous of your green outdoor snippet there (we are sitting at -11C here), but can't wait to take mine out when the weather mends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am curious about your height, inseam and how legroom/lower body comfort compares between the '19 GT and the '21 R compare.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am curious about your height, inseam and how legroom/lower body comfort compares between the '19 GT and the '21 R compare.
That's my concern as well in deciding whether or not to trade my '18 SDR for a '21. I love the ergos of my '18 and when I sat on a '21 at the dealer (have not actually ridden one yet), the legroom felt very cramped with the pegs set further back and the bars more forward and lower like a sport bike in comparison--not to my liking. I'm 5' 10' with a 32 1/2" inseam (can just barely flatfoot my '18).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am 5 10, 33 inch inseam. The pegs are fine for me. Have moved the bars right back. They may have to come up a bit. Will ride it for a while and see..

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's my concern as well in deciding whether or not to trade my '18 SDR for a '21. I love the ergos of my '18 and when I sat on a '21 at the dealer (have not actually ridden one yet), the legroom felt very cramped with the pegs set further back and the bars more forward and lower like a sport sport bike in comparison--not to my liking. I'm 5' 10' with a 32 1/2" inseam (can just barely flatfoot my '18).
I'm 6' with the same inseam. I've sat on the '20 R and its leg room was almost there, but not quite. It was comfortable enough for a single 2-300 mile ride, but not enough for 2-4 consecutive 300+ mile days. I'm coming from a Multistrada 1200 and I am used to having plenty of leg room.

If a revised GT with the new R mods (frame, suspension, electronics, motor) comes out this year and gives a bit more leg room, it will be a contender for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Today I bid farewell to the 2019 GT.

She has been replaced with a new R.

I only have about 30 km on the new girl...but...wow!

Better in every way. The FI is amazingly good. Smooooth.

It tips in beautifully (new tyres notwithstanding...), the front brakes are like hitting a brick wall (yet progressive), and the electronics and TFT dash are great - the TFT gives you all the info you really need, and remainder is hidden, to be called up with a button press if needed.

The new switch gear is good as well.

The quickshifter and gearbox are noticeably better than the GT.

I moved the bars to the most rearward of 4 positions, and the ergos aren't too bad. Will suck it and see, and if needs be, will lift the bars a bit.

Oh, and race shift is only 1 bolt away.

View attachment 100529
I see your have the pricey boi stands. Very nice. Ads keep popping up for me on Instagram and other sites for em.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Now go to the front of the bike, crouch down at the front wheel looking towards the back of the bike... look way down.... no further, right to the bottom of your fork legs....

See those orange elastics? Right at the bottom? Slide them up against the dust seals on your fork legs... They tell you how much suspension travel you are using.

I reset the right hand one (when sat on the bike) frequently and leave the left to record ‘worst case’ travel.

Make sure preload is set the same in both fork legs. Mine came from the dealer with the left at +3 and the right at 0.

Congrats on the new beast, mine has 420mi on her now.

Rob

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now go to the front of the bike, crouch down at the front wheel looking towards the back of the bike... look way down.... no further, right to the bottom of your fork legs....

See those orange elastics? Right at the bottom? Slide them up against the dust seals on your fork legs... They tell you how much suspension travel you are using.

I reset the right hand one (when sat on the bike) frequently and leave the left to record ‘worst case’ travel.

Make sure preload is set the same in both fork legs. Mine came from the dealer with the left at +3 and the right at 0.

Rob
Thanks - will do - went for a short ride early this morning - it pulls so much harder than my GT....

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
:ROFLMAO:....... Tony will be pleased :D...... letting the moths out of the wallet (maybe it's time I did the same o_O)...........(y)

And you managed to walk past all those sexy RED 200hp V4 Streetfighters laying around in the Ducati showroom! :LOL:....

:devilish:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:ROFLMAO:....... Tony will be pleased :D...... letting the moths out of the wallet (maybe it's time I did the same o_O)...........(y)

And you managed to walk past all those sexy RED 200hp V4 Streetfighters laying around in the Ducati showroom! :LOL:....

:devilish:
Nah...they are too track focussed...they did an excellent deal on the R.

Went for an early squirt...no babying!

The grunt is fantastic!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! Great pic, too!
Bit jealous of your green outdoor snippet there (we are sitting at -11C here), but can't wait to take mine out when the weather mends.
We are in the middle of the Oz summer here...quite warm at times.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Rob
Checked, thanks. All suspension settings are standard. Moved the red rings up as you suggested.

·
Registered
2020 KTM SuperDuke R, 2019 KTM XC-W TPI, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple, 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6
22 Posts
They are great stands...
What's the brand? How do they go sideways? It seems like all wheels are on the ground at the same time?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts