KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
What's the brand? How do they go sideways? It seems like all wheels are on the ground at the same time?
They look like interesting stands for sure. Shame the front stand goes under the front wheel. No way to get a tire warmer on, or remove the front wheel!

The little wheels on the stand are mate from rollers. They can “wheel” forwards/backwards and then “roll” sideways on the rollers.

The wheels can be purchased separately, try Googling “multidirectional wheels”.

Rob

·
Registered
113 Posts
Today I bid farewell to the 2019 GT.

She has been replaced with a new R.

I only have about 30 km on the new girl...but...wow!

Better in every way. The FI is amazingly good. Smooooth.

It tips in beautifully (new tyres notwithstanding...), the front brakes are like hitting a brick wall (yet progressive), and the electronics and TFT dash are great - the TFT gives you all the info you really need, and remainder is hidden, to be called up with a button press if needed.

The new switch gear is good as well.

The quickshifter and gearbox are noticeably better than the GT.

I moved the bars to the most rearward of 4 positions, and the ergos aren't too bad. Will suck it and see, and if needs be, will lift the bars a bit.

Oh, and race shift is only 1 bolt away.

View attachment 100529
Atta boy Troppo! What a beauty - Congrats! Welcome to the Gen 3, look into the full Akra if you can, it is sublime

·
Registered
23 Posts
:ROFLMAO:....... Tony will be pleased :D...... letting the moths out of the wallet (maybe it's time I did the same o_O)...........(y)

And you managed to walk past all those sexy RED 200hp V4 Streetfighters laying around in the Ducati showroom! :LOL:....

:devilish:
Those streetfighter are nice but they just dont have the zest the super duke has. Completely ignored them when I got my sdr.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I still haven't owned a liter size I-4, the s1kr demo nearly won me over, but that sucker runs hot and my knees are tucked too tight. I'm short at 5'8'' but still long days have me skimming the pavement for relief. If the gen 3 bikes are a tight fit it doesn't matter how much better everything else is. I don't want a naked track bike.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
:LOL:......... Squirt = Strop = Fang = Blast = Ride........... (y)

Reactions: Trebor27

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on your new beast! I'm 5'10" and 33 in inseam as well, and I can't flat foot my 20 SDR, but it's close.

I think the V4 Streetfighter S is a nice bike, but speaking only for myself, I am not quite sure I understand Ducati's intention by making that model so track focused. Anyone who wants that can just buy the Panigale V4S. Then you add in that $24k for the S model doesn't even get you a gas gauge (plus a ~90 mile range) and no cruise control...to me the SDR was really the only option in this segment!

Reactions: DaveNZ and Troppo

·
Registered
428 Posts
NOVArider52~ Clearly this group (yours truly included) is biased however what you said is spot on. I will admit that I was intrigued by Ducati's new Streetfighter but after seeing it in person, not only did I come back with more appreciation for my "old" SDR but moreover, if I wanted a track oriented machine, I would buy a V4R.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also the Ducati has cables draped all across the engine. Looks a little messy for someone like Ducati, but it’s a small thing. KTM at least attempts to tidy them out the way! ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Totally agree guys. The fit and finish, and quality of the switchgear, placement/routing of cables, and the levers and controls on the SDR were of much higher quality than my Ducati. I didn't dislike my Ducati until they refused to cover a factory engine defect (bike was under warranty) and after it sat at the dealer for 60 days and STILL was not fixed, I filed a complaint with their corporate office, who did nothing. After that, I'd pretty much had enough of Ducati. My experience was its a premium price for sub-premium product and poor customer service. I still like some of their models (definitely not the new Monster though) but not sure I'd ever buy another one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
c
Totally agree guys. The fit and finish, and quality of the switchgear, placement/routing of cables, and the levers and controls on the SDR were of much higher quality than my Ducati. I didn't dislike my Ducati until they refused to cover a factory engine defect (bike was under warranty) and after it sat at the dealer for 60 days and STILL was not fixed, I filed a complaint with their corporate office, who did nothing. After that, I'd pretty much had enough of Ducati. My experience was its a premium price for sub-premium product and poor customer service. I still like some of their models (definitely not the new Monster though) but not sure I'd ever buy another one.
What years was this and which dealer? You can reply directly if you want. I ask because with over 90k miles (which isn't a ton, but enough for problems to pop up) Ducs, I only had one serious issue. Both my dealer and Ducati, NA really stepped up to the plate. This was almost ten years ago though, prior to VW/Audi buying them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
c

What years was this and which dealer? You can reply directly if you want. I ask because with over 90k miles (which isn't a ton, but enough for problems to pop up) Ducs, I only had one serious issue. Both my dealer and Ducati, NA really stepped up to the plate. This was almost ten years ago though, prior to VW/Audi buying them.
Ducati's are pretty dam reliable nowadays, outside the Japanese, id put them top in quality and reliability. KTM are getting there. i did 88,000kms on my 1200 Multi, not one issue. 4000kms on my 1290R switch block fails and stuck in rain mode for 2 months (summer) missed out on 3 track days. only just recently fixed under warrantee. I have just brought a new 950S Multi. Beautiful bike to ride. Switch gear is top notch, LED screen is amazing, and simple to operate. I did 550kms on it yesterday of tight windie country back roads, amazing bike, the suspension is at another level. But its sunday today and was looking to take the 1290R out for a blast, haven't ridden it for a few weeks. BUT the sea is flat the sun is shining, no wind and me and the wife are going fishing. 1290 will have to wait.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ducati's are pretty dam reliable nowadays, outside the Japanese, id put them top in quality and reliability. KTM are getting there. i did 88,000kms on my 1200 Multi, not one issue. 4000kms on my 1290R switch block fails and stuck in rain mode for 2 months (summer) missed out on 3 track days. only just recently fixed under warrantee. I have just brought a new 950S Multi. Beautiful bike to ride. Switch gear is top notch, LED screen is amazing, and simple to operate. I did 550kms on it yesterday of tight windie country back roads, amazing bike, the suspension is at another level. But its sunday today and was looking to take the 1290R out for a blast, haven't ridden it for a few weeks. BUT the sea is flat the sun is shining, no wind and me and the wife are going fishing. 1290 will have to wait.:)
Several of my friends have had Ducatis; two of them never had a single issue - and one of them has owned over 5 Ducatis, and currently owns a new Multi which he loves. Myself and another guy in the same group have owned one Ducati each and ours were problems. His was a well cared for '05 999 that he bought used and it gave up its bottom end at like 15k miles, after several electrical gremlins, and a faulty fuel pump that left us all stranded in a downpour. Mine was an 1100 Scrambler Sport that I bought new in 2018 which developed the dreaded piston slap issue, after a couple of small issues such as a sticking brake lever. I don't disagree that they've come a long way, which is one of the reasons why I finally bought one, but speaking only for myself, I dont think I'd own another.

·
Registered
300 Posts
^^^ All bike makers have their gremlins from time to time. Ive had 4 new KTM, 3 1290ies including the GT, and a 790. All have had issues, but all have been fixed under warrantee. So nothing to really get pissed about. GT was actually the most reliable with only the stand spur breaking in over 38,000kms, so nothing there to complain about. I also had a 999S, i had to replace the wireing loom. I beat that bike pretty hard, on the track and the road, even drag strips. It had one strong engine, much like the Rotax Aprilia Vtwins. The 1098s have crank bearing issues, so not is all rosy in camp red, but thet are getting there.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts