KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a nice detail cleaning on my new19' SDGT yesterday, no better way to get to know a bikes construction.
Just want to hear from those that have installed fender extenders on the SDGT or SDR. I have had a front fender extender on my old 2007 R1200R and it really didn't keep the front of the engine(oil cooler) that much cleaner IMO. What's the word on the extenders for the front fender and rear hugger on the KTM's?
THANKS

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I also put one of those fender extender's on the front guard...... but I used the screws as well as the tape and it keeps most of the crud off the radiator (and my home made rad guard keeps most of the rest off). The oil tank cover gets the rest of the spray. (I have added a short extra tip to the one on my Honda Blackbird and that really works well.... on that bike).

For the rear hugger, I found some material in an old soft bag that I thought was strong enough and light enough and cut that to shape and riveted it in place...... it won't win any concourse awards but it extends the hugger back to the tips of the side case holders and protects the shockie and Reg-Rect from road spray. I put some adhesive clear on the orange undertail area and that takes some of the grit blasting away from the plastic panels.

You can see my handy work below....... if you go down this track be careful when removing the hugger as there are wires from the rear ABS sensor that must be routed through a channel in the hugger...... very fiddly to get them back into place after attaching the extender.

I have seen a longer carbon fiber look hugger on the forum pages - it extends the hugger over the axle...... might be pricey, but would protect better and look trick.......

PS Had a quick look and spotted a post from Doc...... not sure if Pyramid site is working but the other two (Puig & the Carbon fiber long style) are working.......

Have the Pyramid rear fender hugger ( https://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/accessories.html?catnum=103227&h=11_103089&d=1290 Super Duke GT Hugger Extension ). Works OK. Have a friend with the Puig ( Puig Rear Fender Extender | 10% ($4.42) Off! - RevZilla ). Seems to work better. If you have the cash there is a carbon fiber model that appears to be the longest ( Hinterradabdeckung KTM 1290 / GT ). Best,

Doc:thumbup:

Yep, the Pyramid Plastics extender "hugger 1290" looks like this :-

Attachments

Reactions: acpantera

·
Registered
372 Posts
Also, the rear extender is more crucial than the front if you ride in the rain. The rear tire throws muck all over the rear shock with out an extender. I have a neoprene sock around my shock to keep it clean throughout the winter. It's a must have.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boy o boy, those carbon fiber bits look awesome!
I'm going to be thinking alot about those for a long while.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I went this route on the rear, works well
:giggle:....... mine's longer than your's........ :ROFLMAO:, .......but your's is more trick......... (y)

Reactions: JC1290GT

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wish I could find legit longer pieces instead of piecemealing
With extenders.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If someone would make a full-coverage rear hugger/chainguard combo, I'd be on it. Then I could take the ergly license plate bridge girder off and clean up the rear end. Lots of bike manufacturers have placed the plate on a "skimmer"
of sorts right at the middle of the back tire. I've always thought they looked silly, but it proves they could design an actual rear fender that would keep munge off your expensive rear shock. Extenders are pretty spendy for little handfuls of plastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If someone would make a full-coverage rear hugger/chainguard combo, I'd be on it. Then I could take the ergly license plate bridge girder off and clean up the rear end. Lots of bike manufacturers have placed the plate on a "skimmer"
of sorts right at the middle of the back tire. I've always thought they looked silly, but it proves they could design an actual rear fender that would keep munge off your expensive rear shock. Extenders are pretty spendy for little handfuls of plastic.
Boy; i would be all in as well....last tour with the wife on pillion during rain soaked roads completely soaked her arse— even with both bags on. Wish someone would carbon fiber one reasonably cheaper than the german one—-$250-300,is a bit rich for me—even for the nicely extended one that company sells....

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I went ahead and got the extensions from Revzilla, they didn't list a frt for the GT but the but puig site says the frt is the same as the SDR. Frt and rear #s 9025N and 9898J. The plastics match pretty well and I used 3m double sided tape to secure instead of the tape buttons and plastic darts puig supplied.

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
So I went ahead and got the extensions from Revzilla, they didn't list a frt for the GT but the but puig site says the frt is the same as the SDR. Frt and rear #s 9025N and 9898J. The plastics match pretty well and I used 3m double sided tape to secure instead of the tape buttons and plastic darts puig supplied.
Are you still happy with these extenders? I’m looking to purchase the front and rear how did you attach your to make them stay?

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you still happy with these extenders? I’m looking to purchase the front and rear how did you attach your to make them stay?
Like them very much, I used 3m 2 sided tape I got from the hardware store, cut and trimmed to cover 100% of the mating surfaces.
Have nearly 1000 miles on them now, triple digit speeds on many occasions, still on there sturdy....love em alot. Less muck on the radiator and rear shock staying cleaner.
No regrets, good purchase.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Like them very much, I used 3m 2 sided tape I got from the hardware store, cut and trimmed to cover 100% of the mating surfaces.
Have nearly 1000 miles on them now, triple digit speeds on many occasions, still on there sturdy....love em alot. Less muck on the radiator and rear shock staying cleaner.
No regrets, good purchase.
I’m going to pick these up and the 3m 2 sided tape but do you have a link on Homedepot that you recommend?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts