KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I’ll share my day one issue I had with this wireless FOB system with my 2018 SDR that I picked up brand new in May of 2019.

I have been a forum member since 2013 and have been following the super Duke forum to get me up to speed on potential issues before I picked up the bike (2.0). I was intimate with the kill switch thread where someone said there was a revised version.

When I arrived to pick up my bike - it took like 3-4 tries before the dash would initiate the “race on” sequence - the Dealer said it was normal- where I pushed back and stated that it was not and it should work every time/first time. They replaced the FOB battery (I noticed it had the spacer) but the same thing happened.I mentioned the kill switch issue but in the end they replaced the fob and I have not had an issue since. They never replaced the kill switch assembly

I occasionally get the “key out of range” message but I keep my key in my thigh pocket. When I keep it in my chest or jacket pocket I never get that message.

just thought I would share my experience with this wireless FOB system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ll share my day one issue I had with this wireless FOB system with my 2018 SDR that I picked up brand new in May of 2019.

I have been a forum member since 2013 and have been following the super Duke forum to get me up to speed on potential issues before I picked up the bike (2.0). I was intimate with the kill switch thread where someone said there was a revised version.

When I arrived to pick up my bike - it took like 3-4 tries before the dash would initiate the “race on” sequence - the Dealer said it was normal- where I pushed back and stated that it was not and it should work every time/first time. They replaced the FOB battery (I noticed it had the spacer) but the same thing happened.I mentioned the kill switch issue but in the end they replaced the fob and I have not had an issue since. They never replaced the kill switch assembly

I occasionally get the “key out of range” message but I keep my key in my thigh pocket. When I keep it in my chest or jacket pocket I never get that message.

2020 SDGT No problems so far. 3 months and 3000k. Mine works from over a meter away with the FOB in my pants pocket (cargo pocket near knee). I'm guessing that's how it should be.

I did just have a similar problem with my 4WD. Replaced the battery and back to normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to clarify again, this is not a key fob battery/range issue we’re describing. Spsgold confirmed in his second post there were no lights or anything from the TFT (it wasn’t even looking for the key). Same thing on my SDGT, which normally flashes a yellow light after pressing race-on button to indicate it is looking for key...and that wasn’t happening during my “event” either. Mine just magically fixed itself the same way Spsgold’s did too. Been over a month for me and also haven’t seen the “black screen no startup” event again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the trash that is remote key.
After $500 of diagnostics the tech disconnected my battery for 30 minutes and everything fired right up.
I have been wondering if the unit reading the key can up upgraded? It's screwed into the center panel fairing cover on the gas tank which is held in with some rubber grommets.

I own a 2017 and I recommend everyone buy an extended warranty. I hate warranties but the random gremlins that pop up are so annoying/expensive on the KTM. (I didn't buy 1 and I regret it everyday)

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
While riding today, my bike said the key fob was out of range for a few minutes but returned to normal. I bet that is the issue with your bike too

Have you tried just using the key? The ignition switch is located under the plastic piece that surrounds the fuel cap. You can just pull it off with your fingers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
keyless ignition is supposed to fix what? you still have to carry a fob around so it's just another thing to go wrong.
Haha. When something finally gets good you have to ruin it a bit so that you can still have billables. It's product evolution 😂.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't get satisfaction with anything going wrong with these bikes and the first time I saw the keyless I wanted one. It seems KTM added this feature because it was trendy, not because they believed in it, or actually spent any research developing it as having to shim batterys is stupid and half assed for a new machine. As to warranty coverage we're in a global market and many parts are outsourced and KTM isn't responsible for it but generally those outsourced parts have their own warranty that is painlessly taken care of within the warranty period. 18,000 miles and running strong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hopped on the bike this morning, started fine, rode about 5 miles, shut it off for about 10 minutes, went to start it and NOTHING!
No lights, no ready to race, no nothing! Tried putting the key against the transponder, nothing! Tried removing and repalcing the battery, nothing!
Haven't tried the "backup key" yet because I'm stuck......any ideas? anyone had this happen to them yet??
My 2018 sad is in the shop now because of this. Check all the other things in the manual if you can fix it it could be the starter switch...the button assembly, race button...mines being replaced

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Mercury in retrograde until July 9th..Expect many delays, lost items, and absurd mechanical malfunctions!
( As I prepare for my 200 mile ride tomorrow)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Dealer warned me to keep the FOB in my jacket pocket and not in my pants pocket. Yup, got an out of range message on my last ride and then went away. What a pain. Hate these FOBs, my new Honda Ridgeline is worse!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dealer warned me to keep the FOB in my jacket pocket and not in my pants pocket. Yup, got an out of range message on my last ride and then went away. What a pain. Hate these FOBs, my new Honda Ridgeline is worse!
That’s weird the antenna is by your right knee. Keep mine in right front pocket and never an issue. Would like they need to replace your antenna

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a KAW Concours that had one of those keyless systems...I found it easier and simpler to leave my fob is the dash box, and be done with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s weird the antenna is by your right knee. Keep mine in right front pocket and never an issue. Would like they need to replace your antenna
Not if dealer warned me about it, seems to be an endemic problem on 2019 SD’s. Come on KTM, this is a high $$$ bike and I expect better. FOB was in my LEFT pocket. So what!? Maybe if I put on cruise control and outstretched my arms it would work better. Give me a break, 24“ further away and it doesn’t work? Come on!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I keep a first aid kit underneath the passenger seat. I also put a spare set of key batteries in there in case I'm ever stranded. The CR 2032 batteries can be found in a supermarket for about 5$ and that's for a pair. The key uses one. Seems a very easy precaution for a potential big and infuriating problem.

I should add to this the one time I went riding in a 1 piece leather suit as opposed to my normal 2 piece and kept the key in a tailbag. During the ride I got the key out of range warning which dissapeared after a minute and never returned. From what I can tell, when that warning pops up with the vehicle in operation, you can keep riding it until you shut it down. It doesn't shut down on it's own.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My Harley-rider buddy put some spare fob batteries in his saddlebag when he bought the bike in 2018 and when the original recently died, the spares all turned out to be dead too, so I hadda run to the hardware store to get some so he wouldn't be stranded. I suppose the trend is moving away from mechanical components (keyed ignition switch) towards electronics with no moving parts, but I can see no other advantage to keyless ignitions. Something else to run up repair hours.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts