KTM Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Registered
2018 Super Duke 1290R
Having spare batteries is not a bad idea but everyone should remove the battery from the fob
and then pace the fob w/o a battery in it over the ignition module you should be able to start
the bike w/o a battery using the RFID chip in the fob. If it does not work then your fob RFID
chip did not get programmed into the Hands Free ignition module go to the dealer and
have that done the bike is suppose to be setup so that the RFID chips in the fob and passive
key are programmed to the ignition lock from the factory. The only reason that the battery is
in the fob is to power the active radio high freq signal so you don't have to place the fob over
the ignition module to start the bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
Having spare batteries is not a bad idea but everyone should remove the battery from the fob
and then pace the fob w/o a battery in it over the ignition module you should be able to start
the bike w/o a battery using the RFID chip in the fob. If it does not work then your fob RFID
chip did not get programmed into the Hands Free ignition module go to the dealer and
have that done the bike is suppose to be setup so that the RFID chips in the fob and passive
key are programmed to the ignition lock from the factory. The only reason that the battery is
in the fob is to power the active radio high freq signal so you don't have to place the fob over
the ignition module to start the bike.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Excellent advice! 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Well, so far so good, I haven't got it to repeat the problem since the one time two weeks ago. Hoping it was a "one and done" glitch! 馃
Leaving tomorrow for a couple days of riding along Hwy 1, California central coast. Looking forward to layin down some miles and that cooool coastal air! 馃憤

Registered
I like the idea of elimination of moving parts, but keyless fobs only move the problem from parts wear and malfunction to electronic mystery issues, so, no, thanks. Just eliminated my locking fuel cap.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
I like the idea of elimination of moving parts, but keyless fobs only move the problem from parts wear and malfunction to electronic mystery issues, so, no, thanks. Just eliminated my locking fuel cap.
Interesting, I've been thinking about the same thing, one less possible problem to worry about at fill-up!
What model did you go with? Where there any "issues" to be dealt with?

Registered
TWM, the Italian outfit that made the PowerParts caps for the Mothership. No issues. Remove the screws, separate the cap from it's underframe, sandwich on the new piece and use the included screws.

Registered
I've had the pleasure of being stranded twice randomly on the side of mountain roads for a total of 5 hours on my 2019 thanks to the garbage system. Both times it was completely bricked - initially happened when I hit race on button and pressed starter which turned off the whole bike. Took the battery out of the key, put it up to the spot on tank, tried push start, removed the battery and put it back in and both times for no reason it randomly decided to work again after a sleep. In between and after both the bikes was 100% perfect.
I love the bike and have spent a lot on parts - and had a 2015 one before, but this trash keyless system has me considering getting rid of it before the warranty is out and never getting anything with it again

Registered
That IS an extreme case, but I know those who've been stranded by a locking gas cap, or broke the key off when it froze up. I would rate both keyless systems and locking fuel caps in the same category; Answers to questions nobody asked.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
After 300 miles in two days along Hwy 1 I'm happy to report......NO ISSUES! 馃憤 As some of you know, that's no place you'd want to be stranded! 馃槼
I'll post some pics in a new thread

Registered
hopped on the bike this morning, started fine, rode about 5 miles, shut it off for about 10 minutes, went to start it and NOTHING!
No lights, no ready to race, no nothing! Tried putting the key against the transponder, nothing! Tried removing and repalcing the battery, nothing!
Haven't tried the "backup key" yet because I'm stuck......any ideas? anyone had this happen to them yet??
Very interesting discussion here. I began reviewing this forum as I contemplate purchasing a used 2017 SD GT to replace my 2007 990 SD. This problem gives me pause. I love my 990 SD. I'm attracted to the 1290 SD GT for its reported a) better, smoother throttle response, b) improved suspension and handling, c) greater comfort for passenger, d) ability to fit panniers, and e) 33% more power!! All the electronics enhancements in the newer KTMs appeal to me - almost not at all. And seeing that the unnecessary and unnecessarily fiddly enhancements (a keyless radio signal actuated ignition? What idiot dreamed that up? All the reliability of a cell phone repurposed to perform an essential operation on a motorcycle?) seems, uh, unwise. I hope you all solve the starting problem. I'm rethinking my interest in "upgrading" to a modern bike.

Registered
Very interesting discussion here. I began reviewing this forum as I contemplate purchasing a used 2017 SD GT to replace my 2007 990 SD. This problem gives me pause. I love my 990 SD. I'm attracted to the 1290 SD GT for its reported a) better, smoother throttle response, b) improved suspension and handling, c) greater comfort for passenger, d) ability to fit panniers, and e) 33% more power!! All the electronics enhancements in the newer KTMs appeal to me - almost not at all. And seeing that the unnecessary and unnecessarily fiddly enhancements (a keyless radio signal actuated ignition? What idiot dreamed that up? All the reliability of a cell phone repurposed to perform an essential operation on a motorcycle?) seems, uh, unwise. I hope you all solve the starting problem. I'm rethinking my interest in "upgrading" to a modern bike.
The 17 GT has a key, at least mine does. You will love this GT for all the mentions in your post, buy it. Get the 50 buck fuel dongles from Rottweiler for an even better throttle.

Registered
2018 Super Duke 1290R
The new hands free systems also use the same RFID Technology that the
1st gens have used for years the Fob and Passive key also have RFID
chips in them. If you don't trust the Fob you can run the bike with the
passive key you just need to place the key over the ignition module and
it will start the bike. Or if you remove the battery from the Fob it is then
just a passive key as well.
My biggest bitch about the new system is owners can no longer program
a new key to the bike. It has to be done with the KTM tool by a dealer and
the dealers in my area do not inspire any confidence that they know even
as much as I know about the procedure.

Registered
The 2017 has keyed ignition, no fob.

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
TWM, the Italian outfit that made the PowerParts caps for the Mothership. No issues. Remove the screws, separate the cap from it's underframe, sandwich on the new piece and use the included screws.
Just curious, were you able to purchase that from a dealer in the US or did you have to deal with TWM directly? I've emailed them in Italy,but they are really slow to respond......

Registered
G'day @MRPC ,

You have a choice of 2016-2018 gen 1 SDGT with key ignition, or 2019+ gen 2 (with LED headlight) model with remote keyless ignition (but with a key for locking the cases just like the gen 1 models).

The above response from @Dvoid - #41- is highly likely the #1 issue with all the keyless complaints - the fkng dealer has neglected to program something they should have known about, which results in stranded riders and endless complaints.

I'm considering trading my 17SDGT in on a 21GT next year and having read Dvoid's post I am much happier to embrace the car technology keyless fob system - all my Ducati mates have had it for years...... and I have confidence in my local KTM dealer to pre-deliver my bike correctly, as was the case with my 2017Gt way back in Feb017.

There is nothing wrong with a 17Gt or an 18GT - they are the ones with the Halogen headlight, but if it were me buying a bike now, i'd go for the 19 gen 2 as it has several neat upgrades...... the 21GT is still a year away, but it will get the 20SDR's new frame and suspension linkage system...... but the gen1 & 2 models are still good things!

Go forth and upgrade - keep in mind the gen1 Gt's will need the gen 2 (2019) software upgrade (if the previous owner hasn't had it done at a service), to correct the original weak rebound damping rates, but other than that easy upgrade, there is plenty to like - assuming you have a dealership that has people who know their trade working on your bike. That seems to be the biggest issue with KTM (particularly in the USA)........ crappy dealership support - not the bikes..... they are brilliant...... very sporty, but great to ride!

(y)

Registered
Just curious, were you able to purchase that from a dealer in the US or did you have to deal with TWM directly? I've emailed them in Italy,but they are really slow to respond......
Saw it on Ebay. Seller said it was the last one they had.

Registered
So to try and use the RFID you have to remove the battery in the fob?
Then place the fob on the tank?

Registered
2018 Super Duke 1290R
So to try and use the RFID you have to remove the battery in the fob?
Then place the fob on the tank?
Yes if the battery is in the fob and it has power the High Freq
signal will be picked up before it has a chance to read the RFID
chip.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts