KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just picked up my first KTM a 2010 xcw200. I've wanted a 200 for a little while and all my friends tried to convince me the cost of owning/maintaining a KTM wouldnt make it worth it. I guess I'll find out myself because I think it's an awesome bike lol The guy I got it from said the current weisco top end had 60 hrs on it(total hrs 280),haven't got to stretch it out too much but it seems like it's still pulling pretty strong,sound normal to me. But because of the hours I figured a top end and more than likely a crank rebuild as well should prob be expected to pop up sometime. With that in mind, are there any KTM specific/specialty tools I'll be needing to acquire? I'd hate to get in there when the time is due and encounter a funny looking bolt head I've never seen lol... Thanks in advance,cant wait to ride this thing more!

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Hello and welcome. Great bike choice in the 200. Sweet running woods weapon. Not to worry much about your non KTM friends. We all have stupid friends. Dont waste your words on the KTM haters. They dont know what we know and they're too stupid to learn. I dont fuss much over engine hours for most usage unless it's high level race motor. I'm more interested in riding than wrenching, so i just watch the hour meter run away and watch for increased cylinder leakage or reduced engine cranking compression. Always good to check both after rebuild to use as baseline for reduction in either pressure to monitor engine health. Basic sensible maintenance of air filter and trans fluid changes and constant fastener checks are all that's needed to keep after it. Once you get around to engine overhaul no high zoot tools are required other than flywheel puller and case splitter. No need for fancy clutch fixtures for removal of crank gear and clutch basket. Flattened piece of copper tubing or a dime jammed in gear teeth will lock crank for nut removal of both. (crank nut is reverse thread) I wouldn't rush to rebuild it if she's running good. Enjoy the bike for awhile. Be sure to post pictures when possible. Check back often

Reactions: HinduKushHiker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome. Great bike choice in the 200. Sweet running woods weapon. Not to worry much about your non KTM friends. We all have stupid friends. Dont waste your words on the KTM haters. They dont know what we know and they're too stupid to learn. I dont fuss much over engine hours for most usage unless it's high level race motor. I'm more interested in riding than wrenching, so i just watch the hour meter run away and watch for increased cylinder leakage or reduced engine cranking compression. Always good to check both after rebuild to use as baseline for reduction in either pressure to monitor engine health. Basic sensible maintenance of air filter and trans fluid changes and constant fastener checks are all that's needed to keep after it. Once you get around to engine overhaul no high zoot tools are required other than flywheel puller and case splitter. No need for fancy clutch fixtures for removal of crank gear and clutch basket. Flattened piece of copper tubing or a dime jammed in gear teeth will lock crank for nut removal of both. (crank nut is reverse thread) I wouldn't rush to rebuild it if she's running good. Enjoy the bike for awhile. Be sure to post pictures when possible. Check back often
Thanks for the thought filled response! I guess I'm similar to you in that I'm far more interested in riding than wrenching haha So that's my plan for now,to just enjoy it! Haha happy to hear I won't be needing any fancy new tools when the time comes! I'll try to get some pictures posted...and thanks for the tip about getting a baseline right after a rebuild seems like a great practice,def makes sense to me! Thanks again for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts