KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called 4 Ktm dealers for quotes on 1st service for my 2018 SDR - prices are all over the map. When I ask them to confirm if the oil nozzle is cleaned, all weren’t aware and some stated it’s done at the next service. Have you guys had this done at the first service?

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
So I couldn't help googling this. Would someone explain what this carb jet in the clutch does?

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is the LC8 design doesn’t bathe the clutch in oil so this “nozzle” (as KTM calls it) sprays the clutch with oil. I’ve seen posts that the hole is 1/50th of an inch and can become clogged. Symptoms are the clutch not fully disengaging (or drag), hard to find neutral..clutch being ”grabby”...etc.

Looks like a simple procedure however I’m 100% confident very few dealers even do this as part of the specified checklist.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Anyone have a visual on where this is? I literally just had the clutch cover off to install a clear one. Is the jet internal? Or can it be accessed externally for maintenance?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The brass “jet” or “nozzle” is in this hole under a cap screw.
That makes it look super simple, like we could clean it ourselves in 5 min. True?

·
Registered
168 Posts
That makes it look super simple, like we could clean it ourselves in 5 min. True?

It’s straightforward enough to do. Pull the sprocket cover and rectifier cover off to get at it. Clean the area, remove the cover and then use a flat-blade stubby to (carefully) remove the brass jet. I cleaned mine with compressed air. Reverse for install paying attention to torque specs.

It’s just a tight area to work in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
It’s straightforward enough to do. Pull the sprocket cover and rectifier cover off to get at it. Clean the area, remove the cover and then use a flat-blade stubby to (carefully) remove the brass jet. I cleaned mine with compressed air. Reverse for install paying attention to torque specs.

It’s just a tight area to work in.

I think I may wait until I feel anything symptomatic of what is described above rather than precheck. My luck would have me damaging it trying to just check it lol and im good right now

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
My 15 SDR had no hole in the oil jet. It was solid brass. Replaced it with one with a hole in it. Felt no different. I check it every oil change and it’s clogged. I don’t remove anything to access it except it’s own little cover. I clean it out with a numbered dremel tool drill. It’s .3mm I think. And a flat blade screwdriver with the middle of the blade filed out works very well for screwing the jet in and out.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is very straight forward however it is an awkward are to work in and there are people that have had complications - unable to losses the jet, stripping the head ...creating brass shavings...difficulty getting the jet out once unscrewed (I’ve read successful use of a q-tip works) , risk of dirt (a grain of sand will clog it..) getting in while doing the job...I’m almost of the opinion to leave it alone unless you are having clutch issues ...

·
Registered
704 Posts
So I couldn't help googling this. Would someone explain what this carb jet in the clutch does?
After looking it up in the service manual and then staring at the bike, it's hard to see how a small jet on the left side of the engine could feed oil to a clutch on the right side, particularly since it's a wet clutch. My best guess is that it lubricates the clutch pushrod.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's on the 9300-mile service checklist. Whether your shop actually does it is another matter.

I suspect many don’t. It was ticked off as completed after my second major service (at just over 60,000 km) and when I changed the oil/filter 5,000km later, it was completely blocked.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I suspect many don’t. It was ticked off as completed after my second major service (at just over 60,000 km) and when I changed the oil/filter 5,000km later, it was completely blocked.

It's also due a the 600-mile checkup, as well as at every service interval.

I just paid $477 for the 9300-miler; $121 in parts (oil and filter, new air filter) and 3 hrs labor. I've had the tank off a time or two, so I know it takes a while. They are required to check off every operation as they go and enter it into your bike's service history, so if issues arise later from neglect, working backward though the checklist would expose that. Some might be willing to chance skipping over small details like the clutch oil jet, but I don't think my dealer would appreciate his guys doing so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine was partially blocked at ~800 miles when I checked it the other day. I didn't have any wire that thin so I shot carb cleaner through until it was cleared out.

A quick test on the rear stand showed that neutral was much easier to find.. hopefully that translates to out on the road. I had some level of difficulty finding neutral before.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Mine was partially blocked at ~800 miles when I checked it the other day. I didn't have any wire that thin so I shot carb cleaner through until it was cleared out.

A quick test on the rear stand showed that neutral was much easier to find.. hopefully that translates to out on the road. I had some level of difficulty finding neutral before.
That may be the first sign before things get worse.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That may be the first sign before things get worse.

Even with a freshly cleaned jet, new clutch pack and fully bled slave and master cylinders, neutral is hard to find when the bike is hot. Someone here mentioned a while back, and it agrees with my experience, that it’s easier to find neutral coming down from second, rather than coming up from first when the bike is hot.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts