KTM Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
With my new 2017 SDR1290 with less than 100 miles on the clock, I was struggling to select neutral at stop lights. My knowledgeable KTM dealer resolved it by cleaning out this jet. Said it was a known issue that it can get clogged. Once cleaned, shifts were perfect and easy to select neutral. in 1-1/2 years has not reoccurred.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's on the 9300-mile service checklist. Whether your shop actually does it is another matter.

Just checking the owners manual service schedule and noticed that the oil nozzle check is a recommended, not required, service item. Ask them to check it if you’re having trouble finding neutral; or service it yourself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
My 15 SDR had no hole in the oil jet. It was solid brass. Replaced it with one with a hole in it. Felt no different. I check it every oil change and it’s clogged. I don’t remove anything to access it except it’s own little cover. I clean it out with a numbered dremel tool drill. It’s .3mm I think. And a flat blade screwdriver with the middle of the blade filed out works very well for screwing the jet in and out.
Can you post a pic? just what the screw looks like from standing.tks I'm lookinh at the photo and the left side of my bike and not seeing it?

·
Registered
726 Posts
My clutch works fine as long as I keep pumping it at stop, if I don't pump the lever b4 start or long red light when I put it in gear it's like dumping it into gear without the clutch

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My clutch works fine as long as I keep pumping it at stop, if I don't pump the lever b4 start or long red light when I put it in gear it's like dumping it into gear without the clutch
Your M/C is not holding pressure. Either there's air in the system, or one of the piston seals has failed, allowing fluid back past when the return hole is covered.

·
Registered
590 Posts
After looking it up in the service manual and then staring at the bike, it's hard to see how a small jet on the left side of the engine could feed oil to a clutch on the right side, particularly since it's a wet clutch. My best guess is that it lubricates the clutch pushrod.
So, I was completely wrong. Stopped by the dealer and spoke to one tech. It feeds oil through the countershaft to the clutch. There is a similar system on the 790 and he saw one with the nozzle clogged and the clutch was pretty dry. He did recommend cleaning it as he's seen a few blocked.

Also, they do routinely clean these during a service. Once unscrewed, they place paper towels to catch it and blow it out with the air compressor.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So how big is that hole supposed to be. The one on mine is too small to fit a fine thread through let alone a piece of wire. I didn't believe there was a hole until I held it just so and saw my light through it. That said, it was blocked.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Neutral had been getting harder and harder to find, so, I tried to service my jet today. Got the access cover off, but could not get the jet out. I'm guessing it screws in/out, but I could not break it loose and get it out. Being brass, I was afraid if I really torqued it, I might strip something, and make a real mess of it.

I need to get the suspension software upgrade, so maybe I'll let the shop service it while there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you have a compressor you could try blowing the blockage out with the nozzle in place.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you have a compressor you could try blowing the blockage out with the nozzle in place.

Hadn't thought of that. Hmm...
Wonder if high volumes of compressed air would hurt anything downstream from the nozzle? Sure would be easy to do. Anything I can damage doing it that way?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Last time it did it about 7,000km ago, I used a very quick, less than a second, blast with this

Used the plastic tip.

As long as you don’t go nuts with it (long, high pressure) I don’t see how you’d cause any damage.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts