KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I’m a FJR1300 rider from Winnipeg..I’m looking at alternatives to my FJR which has but one fault..it’s kinda heavy, and I’m kinda old. My only concern is a rumour of a high speed wobble at 200-240km/hr..

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Look at the GT Bob - aside from losing 200 pounds it has better HP and torque numbers. Might vibrate a tad more than your FJ but not in any serious way. The GT is a sport tour bike, emphasis on sport. It does not come with snow tires which would be better suited for Winterpeg. Welcome aboard fellow canuck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at the GT Bob - aside from losing 200 pounds it has better HP and torque numbers. Might vibrate a tad more than your FJ but not in any serious way. The GT is a sport tour bike, emphasis on sport. It does not come with snow tires which would be better suited for Winterpeg. Welcome aboard fellow canuck.
Thanks! My wife said that I should have the bike of my dreams, so..I’m looking at the KTM SDGT, the Ducati Multistrada V4s, the BMW 1250GS. In order to replace the FJR It has to be as reliable and lighter and frankly I think it’s gonna be tough..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Edmonton, and have a riding friend in Winnipeg. He's told me that KTM isn't easy to find in Winnipeg, so you might have to do some travelling to get a test ride come spring? The SDGT I test drove was really nice, but had a downfall in the windshield department. Too much buffeting for me, but I loved the engine and transmission characteristics. I had also been given the go ahead to buy what I wanted, and was going to pull the trigger on a new remaining 2019 BMW 1250RT, but couldn't come to grips with a local dealer who wanted to charge me full retail for a tall seat, as he gave the one that had been mounted on the bike I was looking at to a previous owner, leaving me with a short seat option. I'd owned an older BMW RT in the past, as well as a GS Adventure. I've also had a Yamaha FJ, Suzuki Hayabusa, a 990 Super Duke, and an 1190 KTM Adventure. What I settled on last year was a low mileage used BMW RT, and a 2016 Super Duke R limited. One bike as a decompression chamber, and another as a traveler, with probably the best fairing in motorcycling. For long distance riding with a sport touring slant, don't underestimate the importance of the fairing/windshield. The 1200 multistrada was not good in that department either, but maybe the V4S is? Maybe a supercharged Kawasaki? Should be stable at your prescribed 200 - 240 kph?

·
Registered
354 Posts
:cool: Tough call, I had a 08 Fjr and put 15000 miles on her and loved it but the better half never went on enough rides to keep so I sold it and got a 18 Ktm 690 Duke, And yes the fjr was a heavy bike but was awesome in its own right, Love the 690 Duke for being a lot lighter bike with 75 hp ,I went up 2 teeth on the rear and installed Kevs o2 mod to smooth out the lower revs and it's much better, I have a 15 Kaw Versy 1000 for my Fjr replacement, Ride and be safe.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts