KTM Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what people are running for air pressure in their front tire. I ride mostly woods/single track with a combo of rocks, roots etc. I am not tubliss or mousse, just a factory front tire on my 250 sxf. I’m in NW PA.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Lots of opinions for tire pressures. Some guys run crazy low pressures as low as 6-8 psi. I dont like pressure lower than 12psi ever. 14-18 psi is the sweet spot for good traction and resistance to flat tires. I dont buy into the low tire pressure for a larger contact patch theory for offroad tires. Your offroad tires need more pressure than road bikes to keep tire knobs from deflecting under power. Low pressure does not allow knobs to bite with their leading edge. Same for cornering in low traction conditions you need your tire to cut into ground with a sharp leading edge. Your higher tire pressures resist flat tires and bent rims in rocky terrain but will transmit more shock to rider. Dont be afraid to experiment with tire pressures but no more than 2psi differential between front and rear tire pressure or it will freak out your cornering. I run 20-22psi in some sugar sand and dune riding to force tire to dig down to the better traction surfaces. Try to experiment for your own preference but never ask your riding buddies..... they dont know what works for you

Reactions: Dirtclods
1 - 3 of 3 Posts