KTM Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Recently i came across froth in the engine oil in my duke 250 india. I have attached some photos to this thread and i have done 2400km on odo. Looks like bubbles of the engine oil. These bubbles goes away 5 min when i stop riding it. I have also noticed that there is slight decrease in the coolant level which was factory filled. So, what could be the reason? Is engine oil mixing with coolant? Will coolant level going down is normal?
I haven't checked with service as there is lockdown. Any help will be really appreciated.

Attachments

· Dirt tracker
4,032 Posts
It is possible for coolant to leak into engine oil when gasket or seal fails and allows contamination, however motor oil will foam by itself during certain conditions. You may have a coolant contamination issue but you can do simple checks to help determine if your bike has a leak. Start by marking coolant level on overflow reservoir and observe coolant level. If coolant level continues to reduce it could indicate internal or external leak. If oil level increases it can indicate coolant has infiltrated engine oil but be aware both coolant and oil levels will change with engine operating temperature.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible for coolant to leak into engine oil when gasket or seal fails and allows contamination, however motor oil will foam by itself during certain conditions. You may have a coolant contamination issue but you can do simple checks to help determine if your bike has a leak. Start by marking coolant level on overflow reservoir and observe coolant level. If coolant level continues to reduce it could indicate internal or external leak. If oil level increases it can indicate coolant has infiltrated engine oil but be aware both coolant and oil levels will change with engine operating temperature.
Okay I will try doing that, also i wl take it to the service and check with them thank you for your reply. Does coolant hurt engine badly?? coolant level going down on its own, is it normal? Bcoz one of my frnd who owned duke 200 said he used to top it up whenever his motorcycle coolant went down.

· Registered
838 Posts
If you have coolant in the oil, you will have to get the engine repaired as bearings do not like diluted oil. Usually, it's a head gasket that needs replacing.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have coolant in the oil, you will have to get the engine repaired as bearings do not like diluted oil. Usually, it's a head gasket that needs replacing.
Yes i have booked the service and sent the photos to one of the service guy. He said it looks fine and bubbles formation is okay. But how to exactly say if coolant is mixing with engine oil?

· Registered
838 Posts
Yes i have booked the service and sent the photos to one of the service guy. He said it looks fine and bubbles formation is okay. But how to exactly say if coolant is mixing with engine oil?
The last time it happened to me was on a '69 MGB. Oil and coolant formulas have changed but I'd expect it to look either milky or like brown sludge. Hard to see in your pics, but that looks like good oil with bubbles.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Send a sample of your oil to a testing lab.

In the US we have Blackstone.
If you live in different country, you'll need to do a search there for similar.

Here we dont have labs to test it. After lockdown shld deal with service guy. Will update on this. Thanks for all your help guys.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The last time it happened to me was on a '69 MGB. Oil and coolant formulas have changed but I'd expect it to look either milky or like brown sludge. Hard to see in your pics, but that looks like good oil with bubbles.
[/QUOTE
Yes, service guy said the same looking at the pictures. No milky or chocolate shake kind of thing. But motorcycle runs all good and fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.