KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if this is a recurring issue with anyone else. I've gotten this fixed 3 times now and I'm starting to doubt that it will ever be fixed properly. Here's the issue: Whenever I start the bike, the fuel level is wrong. It corrects itself after 2 minutes of riding but at start, it will indicate some random amount, say 2 bars down, and stick to that every time I start the bike. It doesn't matter if the bike is cold or hot. It didn't occur when I first bought the bike but started happening after 6 months of riding. I got it fixed once, broke after 500 kms, got it fixed again. Started having the same problem again but then the problem went away. The shop had already gotten a replacement part so I decided to go ahead with the repair (in case the issue was intermittent and should reoccur again). The new gauge has never worked correctly. Same issue with all three gauges though, they start to work after 2 minutes of riding.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thanks for your post as I’ll be watching this as I’m a 2018 SDR owner as well.

I don’t have your exact issue however I find the gauge erratic at lower fuel levels. I resort to the menu and watch the rage but it will show 20km of range then after a few minutes 80km???

When you say you had it fixed, what exactly did the shop do (if you know or if it’s on the invoice)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too have a problem with the fuel gauge on my '18 SDR. It always shows more fuel than reality and consequently the miles/gallon and range are always too high. I think it's a problem with the float in the tank getting stuck--this was a known problem with the GT's and was fixed by removing the float from the vertical tube in the tank and reshaping it so that it slides better. I've just never bothered to look into this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say you had it fixed, what exactly did the shop do (if you know or if it’s on the invoice)?
I can't remember exactly what part they replaced but I believe it was the whole gas gauge sensor? I'm hoping it will self correct like it did with the previous part. If so, I'm not touching it. Disappointing part about a one year warranty is that the second replacement was out of warranty but they let it slide. I don't dare ask again because I'm sure they'll charge me this time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the same thing. When firing up the Duke the fuel reading is wrong. You just have to wait 2 minutes and it will adjust itself. Has never been a problem for me as I always reset the "Trip1" and I know I can do about 300-320km with a tank full. So there is nothing wrong with the gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same identical problem as Cereberus 99. It is not a problem of the float in the tank getting stuck because the screen shows 3 lines at start and after 2 minutes goes to 2 lines. Stop the bike and problem comes again. I think it is a problem of electronic memory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same thing. When firing up the Duke the fuel reading is wrong. You just have to wait 2 minutes and it will adjust itself. Has never been a problem for me as I always reset the "Trip1" and I know I can do about 300-320km with a tank full. So there is nothing wrong with the gauge.
If the issue had been there from the start and never corrected itself, I would agree but the first 6 months, the bike had the correct reading when starting the bike and was correct after the first repair. After 400 kms, the issue started occurring again so I brought the bike back for repairs after another 400kms of riding. The issue actually went away while waiting for the part but I decided to get it fixed anyways because the issue seemed intermittent.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wanted to see if this is a recurring issue with anyone else. I've gotten this fixed 3 times now and I'm starting to doubt that it will ever be fixed properly. Here's the issue: Whenever I start the bike, the fuel level is wrong. It corrects itself after 2 minutes of riding but at start, it will indicate some random amount, say 2 bars down, and stick to that every time I start the bike. It doesn't matter if the bike is cold or hot. It didn't occur when I first bought the bike but started happening after 6 months of riding. I got it fixed once, broke after 500 kms, got it fixed again. Started having the same problem again but then the problem went away. The shop had already gotten a replacement part so I decided to go ahead with the repair (in case the issue was intermittent and should reoccur again). The new gauge has never worked correctly. Same issue with all three gauges though, they start to work after 2 minutes of riding.
My 19' does this every time. I'm a total non mechanic, nor do I have any inclination of how these things work, but it seems an obvious electrical thing. I can refill the tank to the top and it will display the fuel level of when I initially rolled into the gas station for a couple of minutes before showing full as it should. A sensor issue? Is it possible the starter pulling battery juice down so it's misread or malfunctioning?

·
Registered
190 Posts
My 19' does this every time. I'm a total non mechanic, nor do I have any inclination of how these things work, but it seems an obvious electrical thing. I can refill the tank to the top and it will display the fuel level of when I initially rolled into the gas station for a couple of minutes before showing full as it should. A sensor issue? Is it possible the starter pulling battery juice down so it's misread or malfunctioning?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hmmmm, I was all set to jump in and blame ethanol fuels for distorting the fuel float and causing it to stick in it's slide (?). It was considered the No1 problem on the Aprilia forum..... well, one of the many problems anyway :LOL:.

I haven't had any issue with my 2017 SDGT fuel gauge since new (now at almost 20k kms/12k miles and running on Aussie 95ULP with no ethanol).

Only thing i can think of is if you SDR pilots are hard on the throttle, maybe the fuel sloshes around at lot and confuses the readout...... a brain teaser for sure....... but the SDGT is not 'known' for fuel gauge faults (or speedo error) over here..... so I wonder if it is the fuel you are using (or any additives from winter storage?).

:unsure: PS how's your battery? Is it still reading above 9.5v on first start after 12hrs off a charger?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I don’t have the same issue I start up as others but erratic low fuel range fluctuations.

I’m fortunate as ethanol free fuel is readily available and that’s what I use religiously.

My bike is on an intelligent battery charger (Optimate 6) so my battery is always in great shape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bike's battery is in pretty good shape and isn't low by any standards. I would tend to think my issue is either due to faulty sensors, gauge or electronics as the issue corrects itself every time after 2 minutes. At least until I stop the bike anyways. I'm also aware of the issues ethanol but unfortunately, am not in a position to avoid it completely.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ok. I never really paid attention but here was my experience this morning. I also have a 2018 SDR however with only 2,800km on the odometer.

My fuel indicator had one “red” bar and the range in the menu stated 20km of range.

I filled up with the top tier fuel at my Shell gas station and when I hit the power on button (bike not started), the fuel gauge indicated “full” - all the bars were showing. So in my instance after filling up, the fuel gauge updates immediately- no delay.

I also reset my trip meters to see how long I can go on a tank.

Keep us posted on your investigation.

Btw - Here in southern Ontario we still can get ethanol free fuel..

BC405EF3-DACA-4BED-A748-A2C5452E0642.jpeg

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think it's something to do with the charging system. I just realized that I forgot to mention that my trip meter(s) also reset occasionally when the engine is off. My battery is good and the charging system is fully functional to my knowledge (I haven't gotten stranded yet ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
:giggle:..... only way to get a battery to tell the truth is to do a load test.......

Eg :- leave bike off the charger overnight/12hrs, then monitor the dash volts/multimeter while cranking the motor into life for the first start of the day....... if that voltage is 9.5 or lower the battery is weak and has had it's day.

A charger will only top it up so a multimeter reads it as 100% full, like a new battery, but the battery is probably only accepting a half (or less) charge........ but it will still show 12v even though it may be faulty.

The alternator should pump 14v into the SDR at idle if the bikes electrical system is good.

Usually a weak battery shows as slow cranking, but maybe the SDR's exhibit other weird behavior's as a battery slowly fades from glory :sneaky:. Connections are worth checking, but I think the fuel gauge float might be the culprit in this thread...... some can become porous and partially fill with fuel to give a lower reading/stick in a slide etc - we had guys on the Apriia forum that got right into the saga and that's what they found.... ethanol affecting plastic materials ;). Aprilia claimed new parts were ethanol proof...... but they still failed after some time in the bikes. I didn't have any problem with mine in 2yrs & 40k kms..... but I don't have/use ethanol fuels here in Au.

I have become used to my SDGT's DTE readout...... I know what range to expect after reserve warning is triggered and the DTE is not too far off correct...... but it is affected by fuel surge on reserve.

:ROFLMAO: Coincidentally, I was once told by a mate that "my battery is still good" (12v on his multimeter)....... "but the bike won't start!"........ I showed up with a 2.3yr old battery with <9.5ccv's, from my Honda, and his bike burst into life first stab on the go button........ :LOL:..... batteries sure can tell stories...... gotta quote the good ole 'first start load test voltage = ccv... cold cranking volts)'..... to know when an ageing battery is starting to hurt a bikes electrical system.

:)

PS my local KTM mech said to just use any AGM sport battery with the correct number (?YTX14 I think from memory - my SDGT uses the same battery as my CBR1100XX)..... so spending big $'s on a fancy battery may not be needed unless you ride in freezing conditions and experience poor AGM battery life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BAsed on manual once bike is started and side stand is up only then after 2 minutes the fuel gauge will present the correct reading . Lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts