KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I had a bit of a mare today while heading to Wales.

I started getting a fuel pump failure message and it kept cutting out.

It did this about 4 times with half a tank of fuel left. Was sketchy as feck ! Especially on the dual carriageway, and when leaning over, had a few squeaky bum moments.

Managed to limp it to a petrol station, fill up, and added a bit of redex and it stopped. Managed to get to Clee Hill, then headed back and it stopped and didn't happen again all the way home.

What the effin eff is going on. It seemed really really lump when pottering around in traffic, like it was hunting in 2nd and 3rd at around 25-30mph, worse than it normally would, I know these twin thumper get a bit grumpy unless you're further up in the revs at low speed.

Anyone have any insight ? I think I got a month lefty under warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 17's pump was replaced under a recall at no charge. No idea if yours is also under that recall, but you could sure ask.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to add, its still got cat on, exhaust servo on, just a slipon, stock ecu, just cosmetic and slipon basically.
My 17's pump was replaced under a recall at no charge. No idea if yours is also under that recall, but you could sure ask.
Cheers bud. Im going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. Im not holding my breath as I had a general failure pop up from when I turned on my non existing heated grips that they told me to put the battery on charge to clear......

Took it to a different ktm dealer before I headed out and the guy cleared it in 30 seconds.

This could have gone tits up at least twice today because of this.

Just you watch, it won't happen again until warranty is out, they'll take it out, say its fine, then ill probably wipe out on the way back lol.

Not happy, I was about to take the thing apart at the side of the road.

I got an axe to grind now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bad fuel?
Thats what I thought initially, but I only use Shell V Power ( 99 RON) and BP ultimate ( 97 RON).

But I was out in bandit country, so could of been some dodgy fuel, thats why I added that redex **** ( never use it personally ). But it got me home with a top up of fuel.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
580 Posts
If bad comes to worst, replacing the FP is a pretty straight forward job. IIRC, it took me maybe an hour...maybe a little more or less, once the tank is off. Clearly explained and illustrated in the shop manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If bad comes to worst, replacing the FP is a pretty straight forward job. IIRC, it took me maybe an hour...maybe a little more or less, once the tank is off. Clearly explained and illustrated in the shop manual.

I just went through my paperwork, my warranty runs out on Monday 😆 sods law ennit !

I'm gonna go and see them today and see what they say, but I'm not paying £500 plus labour if they say its not covered due to warranty expiring, ill do an aftermarket job of need be, I'm handy with the tools so not a problem.

I'm heading out on it now, lovely morning, see if I can get it to happen again and run some fresh fuel and mite run some Wynns Xtreme fuel cleaner through it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update :

On the way to the dealership today, I took it out for a vigorous run to see if anything cropped up....nothing.

Went to top the tank up, went to start the bike, heard 2 clicks, dash went off, all the lights on the sides of the screen started having a fit, kill switch, key button, nothing worked. Had to disconnect the battery, started on the button.

Halfway to the dealership, I decided to stop, turn it off and do it again, and it did.

But this time, when I removed the seat, it just sprang to life, weird as f**k. !

Anyway, on the way there, the engine management light stayed on.

They plugged the diagnostics in, no error codes but the guy said the bike threw a list of things to check on it. So its booked in for Wednesday to check the loom and connections.

I'm loosing confidence in this bike already, as much as I love it. Already looking to trade it in reluctantly.

Aprillia RSV4 or an R1M are on the cards. Kinda miss not having a fully faired bike. The motorway journeys on this wreck my neck 🤣

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sigh. Unfortunate isn't it? It isn't always easy living with more and more sophisticated electronic systems if you ride a KTM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Weak/low battery? Loose batt connection?
Less than ideal voltage can cause some weird stuff!!

Mate I think you nailed it. Went out this morning, stopped for fuel, happened again, so I got the tools out in the petrol station, opened up the battery compartment, the negative connection wasn't snugged up as tight as it should of been. Had a brass wire brush in my kit, brushed up both terminals and connections, nutted them both up tight, 350 miles later ( just got home ) not a bloody whiff of any errors, and I gave the girl some death today, think I stretched the chain a bit, getting some slap.

But everything seems A OK apart from a few blisters on the palms of my hands, she wore me out today.

Had a jolly old time, now waiting on anymore speeding tickets lol, had one come in the post yesterday from the 14th 🙄 doing 35mph in a 30......wankers. 🤞👊

·
Registered
782 Posts
Fingers crossed for you. These bikes go bats#!t crazy whenever anything happens to the battery. The bike's behavior is not very reasonable but that's just how it is. 35 in a 30?! A$$holes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fingers crossed for you. These bikes go bats#!t crazy whenever anything happens to the battery. The bike's behavior is not very reasonable but that's just how it is. 35 in a 30?! A$$holes!
The guy at KTM said the same thing about the battery. Well I'm glad I don't have to leave it with them now ( hopefully ). I'll be back out on it tomorrow, for some more torture and testing 🤣. If all goes well, I'll put these gremlins to bed 🤞

And that ticket was from a mobile speed camera, them wankers will do you for being 1 mph over the limit. I can just imagine the jizz fest in the back of the van when they catch someone 1mph over the limit.🤭

1 - 14 of 14 Posts