KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
281 - 300 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
KTM 1290 Super Duke R
52 Posts
I checked all of the connections including the plate light. All looked good. I then unplugged all of them and plugged them in one by one and then tested. Unfortunately I get the same results. It works every other time or I should say it doesn’t work. It’s easy to tell if it going to work or not because the fuel pump fails to start. I checked Yoshimura site again and they show you need resisters for the ones I bought . So I don’t know why they didn’t work. Anyway I’ve ordered some cheap ones from Cyclegear. Hopefully they will work.
Try disconnect only the plate light and let the turn signals connected this might help ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
@AlexCanada, @manuel - I'm guessing this is because the electrical system doesn't detect the LED turn signals (the resistance is too small, also the reason why LED turn signals without relays flash faster)? This is an interesting topic to follow, I'm curious about how the Euro-spec model deals with this, since it comes with LED indicators from the factory. These have relays on the wires, so perhaps removing the resistors from the electrical circuit will actually make them run with the Akrapovič system?
I know my KTM dealer installed the full Akra upgrade and stock LED signals and it wouldn't start (they used the delay-relay work around).
It might have something to do with the style of my indicators. They have a "flow" feature, which causes their resistance being really high, which in turn tricks the cpu into thinking there aren't any indicators installed.

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
109 Posts
They have a "flow" feature, which causes their resistance being really high, which in turn tricks the cpu into thinking there aren't any indicators installed.
Thanks. But isn't the resistance actually too low for the system to detect? That's usually the attribute of/problem with LED turn signals, and the reason they flash faster without any relays.

What indicators are you using?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Resistance increases when a bulb blows resulting in a faster flash.

LED’s do not act like a pure resistor, at low voltages they appear high resistance, and high voltages their resistance plummets. Basically once you exceed the diode threshold voltage they start to conduct a lot of current, but before hitting threshold they conduct very little…

I’m guessing the ECU sends a sense voltage to detect the indicators, depending on the voltage they use, maybe they see the resistance really high (below threshold.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
On startup the CPU sends a small current thru the indicators as a check. If the current makes it thru, which means the circuit is good, it won't let the bike start.
The indicators I have show a really high resistance (the stock lightbulb indicators have minimal resistance), which for the CPU basically means the circuit is open, the test current doesn't make it back, the CPU is happy and let's the bike start.
That's also how CPUs in cars or bikes registers blown out bulbs, once the bulb burns out the resistance becomes basically infinite and the CPU signals that by having the indicators flash faster.

The indicators I use are from CNC-Racing.

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
109 Posts
@Trebor27, @AlexCanada - great replies and explanations. It makes sense now. I think I'll go with the SC Project exhaust for now though, and either wait for a straight-pipe system to come out, or make a custom one. I did learn something today though, and for that I thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Trebor27, @AlexCanada - great replies and explanations. It makes sense now. I think I'll go with the SC Project exhaust for now though, and either wait for a straight-pipe system to come out, or make a custom one. I did learn something today though, and for that I thank you.
If you are spending money on an exhaust, and are willing to deal with the workaround of the full Akra exhaust I do highly recommend it! It looks and sounds stunning! I believe that is how this bike was designed!
Not even talking about the weight reduction (12kg down to 3.6kg)

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
109 Posts
It looks and sounds stunning! I believe that is how this bike was designed!
Totally agree about the looks and sound. But there are a few things holding me back.

First is the signal issue: from what has been discussed above, it looks like this can be solved with new LED signals all-round. Problem is, I just spent a good few hours last week mounting new rear mini signals from motogadget. Re-cutting the wires to remove the resistors and then install some new front signals puts me off a bit.

Then there's that resonator/muffler on the mid-pipe. I'm guessing it's a muffler more than anything else since the exhaust has to pass FIM noise emission restrictions on European circuits.

Finally, the price: that thing costs close to 2500€. I know it's titanium, I know it's Akrapovič, but man. I got a full custom exhaust made for my car for less than 2000. And I also paid less than 15k for the bike itself. When I factor these elements in, 2500€ seems like an awful lot of money.

Now, these are things that guys like you don't care about anymore. You've got a lovely bike with an awesome exhaust and I envy you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totally agree about the looks and sound. But there are a few things holding me back.

First is the signal issue: from what has been discussed above, it looks like this can be solved with new LED signals all-round. Problem is, I just spent a good few hours last week mounting new rear mini signals from motogadget. Re-cutting the wires to remove the resistors and then install some new front signals puts me off a bit.

Then there's that resonator/muffler on the mid-pipe. I'm guessing it's a muffler more than anything else since the exhaust has to pass FIM noise emission restrictions on European circuits.

Finally, the price: that thing costs close to 2500€. I know it's titanium, I know it's Akrapovič, but man. I got a full custom exhaust made for my car for less than 2000. And I also paid less than 15k for the bike itself. When I factor these elements in, 2500€ seems like an awful lot of money.

Now, these are things that guys like you don't care about anymore. You've got a lovely bike with an awesome exhaust and I envy you.
I totally agree with you. The bike is awesome no matter what exhaust anyway!

·
Registered
516 Posts
^^^ Id love an Acra full system to unleash the beast. On previous bikes I've fitted full systems, mapping etc, and love/enjoyed the musical sympathy. On both my new bikes, 1290R and Multi 950S, I've chosen to leave the CAT in and just remove the exhaust valve and fit an after market muffler. Both bikes run very smoothly, right through the rev range, especially around town, both have ample power, and both give great fuel ecconmy. Im thinking with age I've gained an eco conscience, and leaving the CAT in helps me sleep at night (ha) and both bikes sound great as they are. I have a mate who has the AR full system, he's had to get his ECU re-mapped, the bike goes well, and beats his mate on a 1100 Street Fighter, but his fuel economy has gone through the roof, like 80km plus less from a tank. Im happy with mine as is. And come late November when we do our annual South Island ride, we shall pit our bikes against each other in roll ons. I suspect there won't be much in it, but he has one less tooth on the front. I have less teeth in my mouth.

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
109 Posts
On both my new bikes, 1290R and Multi 950S, I've chosen to leave the CAT in and just remove the exhaust valve and fit an after market muffler.
Speaking of the Multistrada, here's a clip with my recently departed 2013 1200S:

This is why I want a catless system. I'm not a stupid teenager anymore, I'm in my 30s. I don't enjoy bothering others with obnoxious engine noises, nor do I like over-polluting the environment. But there's something about the raw sound of a big, high revving V-twin that I simply enjoy like a child.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello,

i make this linkpipe and akrapovic can so it wil fit on the original evo system
I'm very interested in your fabricating capabilitys.

Would you be interested in developing another link pipe that fits the Evo resonator and have an end fitting and placement as per the standard original exhaust? Exhaust valve will ofcourse not be needed :)
This will give owners of the Akra full system the capability of using the standard end can (also all kinds of after market slip-ons) if needed to reduce DB level for track purpose and on the street if needed.

Tried to send you an PM, but I'm a brand new member and is not allowed.

281 - 300 of 342 Posts