KTM Forums banner

Full exhaust system for 2020 SDR

169K views 456 replies 93 participants last post by  why2kmax 
#1 ·
I am new to KTM and I am seeing that all 4 turn signals must be disconnected when full Akra system is installed to start the engine. Is there a work around for this? And does it apply to other systems such as Austin Racing, etc ?
Asking just in case I decide to signal on the track.

#2 ·
Hello
I hav the full akra on my 1290 SDR 2020 whit the map what comes whit it. And yes you need to disconnect all 4 trun signals. Before the bike starts. I had that issue.
But i found the way to bypass that isseu. And now i hav working turn signals on bike and bike starts :)

I will not take any responsibility from this mod. this is just for learning use :)

Why u need the relay:
The bike`s ecu makes light check every time you power the bike on. And in Akra`s map they made it so that if the ecu regonices the turnsignal it will generate IMMO issue.
And the bike will not start. So we need to make a delay in system to trick the ecu.

Here is what you need to doo to make bike work:

1. Buy delay relay you need one. like 1 here in picture

2. Find the connectors for turn signals.

3. For front turn signals: Cut from bikes side wire hardness the brown caple (is ground caple) what is connected to turn signal connector. Dont cut too near from connector. Tape the main hardness brown caple. so it will not hit anything.

4. Connect new caple to the connectors brown caple. And pull those caples on the battery. Also here dont make first too short caples.
Now you hav the front wireing done.

5. The rear: Here is some ways how you want to do it. Here what i did: I took the hardness for rear turn signals and plate light and from there did cut the plate light conector out.
This caples i did connect to the relay. So the +12volt goes on relay and the ground (brown caple) goes to relay and also to in relays COM.

6. Again cut the brown caple from rear turn signals. and connect new caples to those and pull them on battery again.

So now you shoud hav 4 caples for turn signals on top of battery and 1 relay there.

Now you connect the "new ground caples" in the relay. in Not Connected side. So when the realy is not powered on there is no connection to COM port.
and the power to relay you connect also.

Almost done.

So now you need to adjust the delay for the relay to connect.
Depences what relay you are going to use, but you need to get the connecting time in around 2 to 3 seconds. It can also be longer if you want. but don`t go under 2 sec, or the bike will not start.

Here did some pictures from my relay.

If you hav any questions PM me i help where i can.

#3 · (Edited)
Hello
I hav the full akra on my 1290 SDR 2020 whit the map what comes whit it. And yes you need to disconnect all 4 trun signals. Before the bike starts. I had that issue.
But i found the way to bypass that isseu. And now i hav working turn signals on bike and bike starts :)

I will not take any responsibility from this mod. this is just for learning use :)

Why u need the relay:
The bike`s ecu makes light check every time you power the bike on. And in Akra`s map they made it so that if the ecu regonices the turnsignal it will generate IMMO issue.
And the bike will not start. So we need to make a delay in system to trick the ecu.

Here is what you need to doo to make bike work:

1. Buy delay relay you need one. like 1 here in picture
View attachment 95624

2. Find the connectors for turn signals.

3. For front turn signals: Cut from bikes side wire hardness the brown caple (is ground caple) what is connected to turn signal connector. Dont cut too near from connector. Tape the main hardness brown caple. so it will not hit anything.

4. Connect new caple to the connectors brown caple. And pull those caples on the battery. Also here dont make first too short caples.
Now you hav the front wireing done.

5. The rear: Here is some ways how you want to do it. Here what i did: I took the hardness for rear turn signals and plate light and from there did cut the plate light conector out.
This caples i did connect to the relay. So the +12volt goes on relay and the ground (brown caple) goes to relay and also to in relays COM.

6. Again cut the brown caple from rear turn signals. and connect new caples to those and pull them on battery again.

So now you shoud hav 4 caples for turn signals on top of battery and 1 relay there.

Now you connect the "new ground caples" in the relay. in Not Connected side. So when the realy is not powered on there is no connection to COM port.
and the power to relay you connect also.

Almost done.

So now you need to adjust the delay for the relay to connect.
Depences what relay you are going to use, but you need to get the connecting time in around 2 to 3 seconds. It can also be longer if you want. but don`t go under 2 sec, or the bike will not start.

Here did some pictures from my relay.

If you hav any questions PM me i help where i can.

View attachment 95625

View attachment 95626 View attachment 95627 View attachment 95628 View attachment 95629 View attachment 95630
Great work, of course for track use only.;)

#6 ·
all 4 turn signals must be disconnected when full Akra system is installed to start the engine.

I'm sorry, but 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

What the hell is that? Okay it's obviously a silly electrical problem but holy lol, that is a weird sentence:LOL:

#9 ·
Toni, you are the boss! I read your instructions a few times and I am familiar with how relay work, but still struggle bit. would you be so kind to sketch a quick diagram showing the wires and where they are coming from and where they connect to the relay. I will send you pm with a couple more questions, if you don’t mind. Thank you so much man!

PS. How do you like Akra exhaust ?

#12 ·
This is an awesome idea!!!

So with this, you disconnected the plate light to be used as the trigger switch signal/ power for the delay? Why not use one of the accessory cables as the switch so you can keep the functionality of the plate light? Are they not on the same ground, or are they always on, even when the bike is not?

I'm going to do something similar so I can use this map.

#17 ·
I talked to my local dealer here. They told me that race map will disable headlight and rear tail light. Is that true? I have not seen this information anywhere. Do they know what they are talking about ?

Akrapovic EFI mapping (61741033131)

and also they said map is separate something around $350.
I have done Akra race exhausts on Aprilia Tuono and Ducati V4 And map was always included. Can you guys comment on that also?

#18 ·
The map is required for the exhaust. If you get the exhaust, you shouldn't need to buy the map too. There's a servo motor for the stock exhaust that if unplugged will put the bike in limp mode.

The map does not disable the head/tail lights or the turn signals for that matter. It will just prevent you from turning on the bike if the turn signals are plugged in, but there's a way around that.

This is info that came from my dealer, from seeing YouTube vids and from other posts. Mine is still on back order until next month.

#19 ·
No there's no need to disconnect the head light nor the tail light only the turn signals in Greece the full system cost around 2600€ including map and installation at least in Greece. I dont know the rest of the Europe but my dealer installed the full system and everything worked great i also installed the magicbox and my turn lights works great also.

#29 ·
Just finished wiring. I follow Toni’s method exactly. It was not hard at all.
A few tips from me:
you will need to slightly lift the tank to get access to front indicators. There are 4 bolts that hold the tank down. They are very visible. Unhook both hoses going to the gas cap, mark which one is which. Slightly let them out. Then lift the tank (better empty). And stick a piece of 2x4 between air box and tank. Let it rest.
Indicators are behind rubber Organizers. RH side is marked green. Left side is marked red. Just like planes. Same in the rear. This is the easiest to find them as colors tape is very visible.

I also purchased enclosure in Lowe’s. Electrical section. It works well. Piece of pipe is to reduce diameter of holes somewhat . I inserted enclosure in place where flapper motor used to bE.
Everything else is straight forward.

Cheers!

#32 ·
Great job Thorny :) i like the way you do it i was inspired by Tony also as i mentioned in previous post but i didn't like the idea of cutting my bike cables thats why i did it with original connector clips :) also i have realised that this circuit dont give me the ability to use the hazard lights when my bike is off and dont give me the ability to have my alarm notify me about arm disarm lights and blinking when my alarm is activated. That's why i found a different circuit to implement that gives me all this abilities my magicbox V.2

#37 ·
3.19 sec (Akra) vs 3.33 sec (stock) 0-60 mph. Aim Solo DL 2 data. Maybe some of it me getting better of the line, but it feels more ferocious, especially in 3rd gear. It pulls massive wheelies in 3rd with WOT. Love it !
Sounds is absolutely badass. iPhone can’t record the intensity unfortunately.
Did a few 1/4 mile starts in the fields, top speed has increased from 137 to 140.4 mph.
The look gets sicker with it getting more blue.