KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about adding a moto GPS for longer day trips around my area. Anyone use a Garmin Zumo on their SDR? Im guessing the SDGT crowd will have some takers....and I AM curious still where you have yours mounted)...but im more curious how SDR owners do it

Thanks!

· Registered
184 Posts
Did you check BikePenR mounts?

Their website is really dated, but the mounts are rock solid. I had one on my SDR3 and a friend of mine got a similar one for his Triumph. MotoMachines started carrying BikePenR mounts in the USA.

· Registered
18 SDR
2,425 Posts
gen2 SDR

I found this product that I’m gong to give a try…I’ll have to remove the plastic dash mount and fab something so the dash is mounted under the touratech locking zumo xt mount - the gps will be above the dash - I have a Puig screen so hopefully it will all tuck in behind it …..it will require some home brew fabrication but I don’t think it will be that complicated…I decided to get a dedicated gps as a few times this summer I was out of wireless coverage …In Pennsylvania

· Registered
26 Posts
I decided to get a dedicated gps as a few times this summer I was out of wireless coverage …In Pennsylvania
I'm keen to see how your project works out.

As an aside, and apologies if you're already aware of this, some map apps allow you to download data from the area you're travelling so a lack of service is not a problem. Has worked well for me in the past using Google maps. I just have a RAM mount on my handlebars with my phone running google maps, works well with the USB port being right there.
But yeah for long trips its nice to have a dedicated GPS.

· Registered
184 Posts
gen2 SDR

I found this product that I’m gong to give a try…I’ll have to remove the plastic dash mount and fab something so the dash is mounted under the touratech locking zumo xt mount - the gps will be above the dash - I have a Puig screen so hopefully it will all tuck in behind it …..it will require some home brew fabrication but I don’t think it will be that complicated…I decided to get a dedicated gps as a few times this summer I was out of wireless coverage …In Pennsylvania

View attachment 111090
Keep us posted how it goes. I went to a dedicated GPS long time ago and I’m not looking back :)

· Registered
18 SDR
2,425 Posts
I'm keen to see how your project works out.

As an aside, and apologies if you're already aware of this, some map apps allow you to download data from the area you're travelling so a lack of service is not a problem. Has worked well for me in the past using Google maps. I just have a RAM mount on my handlebars with my phone running google maps, works well with the USB port being right there.
But yeah for long trips its nice to have a dedicated GPS.
Understood….that said my phone is now acting up as the camera is wonky - no doubt from my rides - I’ll be removing it from my handle bars (quadlock wireless with quadlock vibration dampener) as I don’t want my new one to suffer the the same fate.

· Registered
18 SDR
2,425 Posts
I looked at this one that you guys recommended and it does put the gps in a decent position but it need it higher above the dash so the Puig windshield will bolt on…..perhaps not possible but I will try to find a solution…that zumo xt seems really feature packed.

· Registered
184 Posts
I looked at this one that you guys recommended and it does put the gps in a decent position but it need it higher above the dash so the Puig windshield will bolt on…..perhaps not possible but I will try to find a solution…that zumo xt seems really feature packed.

View attachment 111092
View attachment 111091
Yeah, this mount was great from point of view, I just did not like the look of the front with it.

· Registered
18 SDR
2,425 Posts
Here is a video of the rms mount on a husky 701 - same 1-1/8 bars …I have an idea how to make it work with my rox risers - I’ll have to invert them so these rms mounts will clamp to the bars properly….

· Registered
184 Posts
Here is a video of the rms mount on a husky 701 - same 1-1/8 bars …I have an idea how to make it work with my rox risers - I’ll have to invert them so these rms mounts will clamp to the bars properly….

Good find. Adam is not the most skilled mechanic, but he is really diligent at documenting his wins and failures so you can learn from him.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
I used the supplied handlebar mount and put it on the left side, it's a tight fit with the puig screen but it works and I like having my phone back in my jacket pocket. I bought an additional mount and wiring harness for the sas so I can easily swap the xt to whatever machine i'm riding.

· Registered
18 SDR
2,425 Posts
I used the supplied handlebar mount and put it on the left side, it's a tight fit with the puig screen but it works and I like having my phone back in my jacket pocket. I bought an additional mount and wiring harness for the sas so I can easily swap the xt to whatever machine i'm riding.
Makes sense - can you post a picture of your Sdr set up?

· Registered
1,420 Posts
the Puig
Puig New Generation Touring Windshield for KTM 1290 Super Duke R & R Evo | 2020-2022

$161.30
Use the included spacers and bolts and the installation takes minutes and is stable at top speed.

· Registered
18 SDR
2,425 Posts
Parts just arrived from RMS …..work of art…I want to work on this until done but work is getting in the way :)

so a few things, as I have the ROX risers and to avoid interference with the connector at the back of the TFT, I’ll put these in the Center about 1-2” apart - remove the OEM mount and fab something to mount the tft dash using the oem rubber bushings. If all goes well it will tuck in behind my Puig wind screen….love that I can have it high and centrally located …stay tuned ..

my stretch objective is to get to fit here…

1 - 20 of 28 Posts