KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently added the coveted Akro's to my 07' 990 Adventure and downloaded the map specifically for them off of the KTM dealer site, and I went from getting close to 200 miles between fill to 150 miles between fill if I'm lucky. What the heck?! Thats a significant change! Wondering if the extra horses was worth it. Anyone else out there reporting these numbers with their 990 Adventures?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just joined this forum ... it's pretty dead and thought I would bump this thread.

I've been riding a '08 990 A since last June and put Wings exhaust on it a few months ago, similar to the Akra's. Love the look, sound, weight saving, and getting the thermonuclear hot OEM cans off of it. According to the manufacturer no re-map is needed if you use either of the spark arrestor / silencers supplied. There are two different sizes, the smallest pretty much reproduces the stock sound, the largest is quite a bit louder than stock and sounds nice but not too loud. The Akra map is recommended by the manufacturer if you remove the inserts altogether which is my current setup and it sounds great, still not way loud but deep and rumbly. With the stock cans I was getting 38 - 40 MPG, and about the same using either of the Wings inserts. After removing them completely and having the Akra map done at the dealer ($99.00) my mileage dropped to 28 - 32 MPG. It does "feel" like it runs stronger but short of putting it on a dyno you cant say for sure. Standing behind the bike while idling it smells very rich. I've had this setup for a couple of months now and think I'll go back to the large inserts and have the stock map re installed.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
My first question would be, was the riding style the same on the low MPG ride, as on the higher MPG ride. Apples and apples?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first question would be, was the riding style the same on the low MPG ride, as on the higher MPG ride. Apples and apples?
Yeah, no major changes in riding style. Always been a good mix of highway and gravel / dirt roads. There are some that report 50 MPG on the FI 990's. I never got close to that even bone stock. They must weigh 90 pounds riding like my granny. My right hand has a chronic problem of over twisting when I'm saddled on the 990 ;-) I'm not overly concerned with the mileage I'm getting it's just the shortened range I don't like. I honestly don't see a great improvement in performance with the Akra map is why I'll go back to the stock map and inserts for the Wings. No harm, no foul.

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
Yeah, no major changes in riding style. Always been a good mix of highway and gravel / dirt roads. There are some that report 50 MPG on the FI 990's. I never got close to that even bone stock. They must weigh 90 pounds riding like my granny. My right hand has a chronic problem of over twisting when I'm saddled on the 990 ;-) I'm not overly concerned with the mileage I'm getting it's just the shortened range I don't like. I honestly don't see a great improvement in performance with the Akra map is why I'll go back to the stock map and inserts for the Wings. No harm, no foul.
Ya I have people tell me they get 45 mpg on their LC4s too, but
I have the same throttle problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts