KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 250 TPI Started leaking oil from the gear lever, I bought the new oil seal and replaced it, the funny part is that when I went to the dealer to buy the new seal they had a bike like mine and told them come and see, my bike is leaking oil from here (pointing at the gear lever) and surprise!!! the new bike was leaking oil also from the same place!! I think this must be a factory problem .....

I hope that replacing this solves my problem, here are some before and after pictures

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Good catch. Most modern mass produced machinery use the cheapest bearings and seals possible and assemble them dry. This will cause the sort of failure you observed. Savvy repair techs will correct this problem during replacement by lubricating seal lips with correct seal lubricant or grease and using a protective sleeve over splined or keyed shaft during installation. Pride in workmanship and quality work is simply a load of crap on a mission statement on the office wall in the factory these days. On the other side of the factory where our stuff is built, a bunch of production hungry pricks are compromising quality for speed of production with no interest in quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ktm dome washer is crap, get dirttricks and stop worrying about a leak.
Where can I find them?, I bought 2 oil seals at the dealer so I still have a spare one but to consider for the future is always good to know what are the best pars to get

Thanks!

·
Dirt Wizard
3,728 Posts
I usually just take the size (which is normally listed on the spare parts list) or a sample and go to the local bearing shop and get a full rubber style tc seal from them. Easier to fit and being rubber cased they tend to seal better if someone has scratched the housing.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I usually just take the size (which is normally listed on the spare parts list) or a sample and go to the local bearing shop and get a full rubber style tc seal from them. Easier to fit and being rubber cased they tend to seal better if someone has scratched the housing.
And they are cheaper than buying them from a KTM dealer...

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Uhhhhh ....you're welcome.....?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
augiedoggie
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing