KTM Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get myself into some new gear. I know I should have bought at the beginning of the season, but A few of the shops I go to have got some good end of season deals on.

What do you guys ride with and what kind of comfort and safety do y ou feel you get? I cant be uncomfortable when I ride.

-Capo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really like EVS gear for my foundation - padded riding shorts, elbow and knee guards, kidney belt and shoulder brace (in my case). I started out with Thor Gear for my external wear, including chest protector, boots, gloves and goggles. Being a bit old school, I bought a Bell SC helmet.

After being back into riding for three years now, I will get a pair of Garne SG10 boots next time. I hear their ankle support is awesome. In March, I replaced my Bell SC helmet with HJC's new (for '08) SPX helmet. It have been very good for the money (under $175). All of my recent jersey and pant purchases have been MSR gear, which I have been very happy with. I also got a pair of MSR Revolver gloves and have been pleased with them.

I like to support local shops, but I also like to spend money wisely. I will buy hard parts locally, as a thank you to my KTM dealer, and to maintain a good relationship. For things like riding gear, I don't feel guilty about online shopping. I bought most of the MSR gear as end-of-year clearance items. I got a new pair of MSR riding pants for $25, and a new MSR jersey with shipping for $15. :D

Most of the major product lines - Fox, 661, Thor, MSR, Moose, Answer, Shift, Fly - should all have decent quality, comfortable gear. I like stuff that isn't too flashy or looks all X-Game / Death Metal. Most of my gear is either black / white / gray; or blue and white (previous bike was a Yamaha). Select something that fits your taste and has a reasonably good reputation for fit and comfort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks for the insight! Im not gonna lie, im a little younger so I like some of the flashy stuff. But hey I just really care about how little damage I do when I bite it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many years ago, when I was young, motocross and enduro gear was pretty tough and very rough. Pants were leather and jerseys were made from the same perforated nylon fabric used for football jerseys. Dirt Bike magazine offered a helpful tip to help prevent chaffed nipples caused by jerseys with iron-on numbers . . . cover 'em with band-aids!

My slickest riding outfit of the day included a JT Racing jersey, a pair of Dynomite Denim MX pants (try Googling that one), a pair of Hi-Point boots with the metal shin plate, a Bell Moto-III helmet and a pair of Torsten Hallman goatskin gloves.

Except for BMX and MTB racing JT is long gone, at least from the motorized MX scene. Torsten Hallman became Thor, and Hi-Point replica boots can be seen at AHRMA races. I'd look for a photo of myself, scan it and post it, but I don't want to be guilty of causing anyone to laugh to death.

If you want to talk wild gear, the stuff from the early 90's was crazy. When I bought my 1994 Yamaha a few years ago, I scooped up (eBay) complete 12-issue volumes of both Dirt Bike and Dirt Rider magazine from 1994. Looking at the photos, it seems like no color combination was off limits.

I don't mind bright so much; KTM orange is totally acceptable. I just don't think the skull thing fits my image very well. :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts