KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 SDR; I find gearing is a little too tall
I’ve changed gearing on my 16’ (back sprocket , up one tooth) and find it more manageable around town, I’m assuming all internal gearing and final gearing is the same on the 21’? , as I intend to go up 1 or 2 teeth in the back… as far as freeway driving… stock gearing gets me 100mph @ approximately 5k rpms.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
16T damped fronts are available, but that's like going 3 up on the rear. 2 would be plenty. I'm scouting for parts.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trappo,did u have enough adjustment in chain to fit a 40 tooth?( I believe 38t is stock)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Trappo,did u have enough adjustment in chain to fit a 40 tooth?( I believe 38t is stock)
Yes - you just need to make sure that the rear wheel adjuster is right forward. It is a bit tight if the bike is new, but not too hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With a 200/55 17 tire, I calculated that 6th gear and 5000 rpms it would give 150km/h, with a 190/55 17 it gave 147,7km/h... Anyhow, some 200/55 17 seem to be more or less the same as some 190/55 17:s... The new one seems to have a better speedo-accuracy, gps seems to show only 3-4 km/h less than the speedometer. Yes, a gps may have some variation too, sometimes. The older one was way too much optimistic (would say more than 10%). Anyhow, I decided to stick with this one. My feelings with the older one were: It was a little short with the first two gears, so and so with 3rd and 4th. The 4th was the first one the engine could give all resources out. A slight lack of power came to play with 5th and 6th (I'm on a heavier side and cannot crunch myself on the tank so I just lean a little forward - so there is some wind resistance). Now, the new one - I haven't tested yet, only about 1000kms on the meter but it feels more home with a little higher revs. Remains to be seen.

My calculations are one with a simple excel-sheet and they might have errors, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went up two teeth on the rear too. I find one through five are more pleasurable gears and feel as it should now. I was hoping 6th would be usable but it's still lugging at 90 mph. I used the same chain (was at 3k miles) and had to loosen it

·
Registered
19’ SDR
26 Posts
I'm having a similar experience with my bike. I swapped gears out @2100 miles for the 16/40 gears and 6th is still a ghost for my application. The motor doesn't feel like its lugging around @4500 rpm's anymore like it was with the stock gears. Worthy upgrade in my opinion.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx for all the input, tomorrow I buy a 40t!!
Bike still needs a full exhaust system! My
16’ was so much easier to mod😜

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For all the guys who went up 2 teeth, what sprockets did u buy?, oem?, or aftermarket?
And if aftermarket, which one? Thx

·
Registered
19’ SDR
26 Posts
I picked up the Drive Systems super light weight 40 tooth rear and 16 tooth front( without center rubber damper). I did not need a new chain and my shifting under hard acceleration feels solid. My bike doesn't lug (factory gearing) anymore which annoyed the hell out of me when I got it.
Drive Systems Superlite gears

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to gearingcommander.com, use the calculator and determine what works best for what you want to do. There is no one right answer for everyone. Lots of option combinations available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2021 SDR; I find gearing is a little too tall
I’ve changed gearing on my 16’ (back sprocket , up one tooth) and find it more manageable around town, I’m assuming all internal gearing and final gearing is the same on the 21’? , as I intend to go up 1 or 2 teeth in the back… as far as freeway driving… stock gearing gets me 100mph @ approximately 5k rpms.
I just installed the 16t front from supersprox and 40t rear bike feels much more responsive and manageable in all gears without the chugging in lower gears in city limits and 6th is smooth at 120kph @ 5k rpm

Chain was still fully adjustable, no need to lengthen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts