KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a way to upgrade my headlamp to LED. The guy I bought it off of had one in there and worked great, but he took it out before I received it. I tried an H4 CANBUS compatible bulb, but it only works on Hi beam and shows a low beam error. Tried Cyclops and they said they don't have a kit for it. I know they used to sell one, but now they are saying they don't. I know it's possible because I saw it. Already spent close to 100 bucks on bulbs that don't work. Anyone with any ideas please help. I have a bright halogen in it for now, but it suuucks. If any modern vehicle with LED or projectors comes up behind me at night I am just riding into my own shadow. And if its raining, I'm doing like 20 under the speed limit just to see far enough ahead. Had the same bulbs in my 1190 adventure and they work fine, something about the Gen 1 SDR that doesn't like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m on the same hunt and have searched some of the same options (emailing cyclops). I ordered one from LED perf last night that’s supposed to throw no codes, I’ll post up my results once it comes in; will probably be a few weeks till it comes in stateside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. I also ordered some resistors of different values to see if I can find any that work, but may be a while until I can do that as well. Looking forward to any tips, hints or preferably off the shelf options.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not contact previous owner to find out what he had in? Could be good info for other Gen 1 owners also.
I did, hes using the old cyclops kit with an off the shelf japanese bulb the cyclops resistors didnt have any values written on em so not sure what they used, so I bought a few to test. Was really just hoping that in the past 8 years someone would have found an easy solution. But when I do get it sorted, I will post up info or maybe make some kits.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
There used to be a "no-error" LED headlight kit on Fleabay for about $70, but it's not there anymore, perhaps because the "no error" claim was bogus. I didn't try it since I almost never ride at night. I have some AUX LED spots that I aimed for the center of the darkest part of the high beam pattern and they seem to help. I think they'd eliminate the shadow mentioned in the first post, but again, I'm just speculating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some AUX LED spots that I aimed for the center of the darkest part of the high beam pattern and they seem to help. I think they'd eliminate the shadow mentioned in the first post, but again, I'm just speculating.
Yeah that's what I have for the time being, some cheapo amazon spots. they are OK, but it would be better if the headlight were also putting out something other than brown light LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the LEDperf bulb doesn't work I may try a few places I've heard of, but the fork mounted aux lights are the final answer if nothing else works. I don't usually ride at night, but when I do I want amazing visibility. Being able to angle them out for back roads night riding would be a useful benefit.

It seems an older LED tech did work but not the current ones, I've seen that from cyclops in a previous post but I suspect that may be an industry thing.

I'm crossing my fingers, saw an install video from LEDperf for a Suzuki GSXS750 and in the comments someone asked about errors codes and they responded none.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So in the meantime I installed some el cheapo LEDs that I had laying around from a super cub project. They really suck, but still 100% better than the stock headlamp with the "70% brighter" phillips halogen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

My super cheap LEDs did so good that I covered the headlamp because it was making no difference at all in hi or low beam. The LEDs way overpower it and so far no angry flashes from oncoming cars. May just upgrade these with quality ones and forget about the headlamp if the resistors I bought dont work.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Hey, if I was into looks, I would have bought a Ducati.
Reading an owner's review on the '22 GT, the author said every time he looks at it, he want's to sell it and then every time he rides it. he changes his mind.

·
1,124 Posts
It's an old barge, but it's been a driver for the last 24 years tht I've owned it. Currently needs a starter.
They always need SOMETHING. I swear between Summit and JEGS, I should set up some sort of paycheck partial diversion account.

@Beer! - I assume you saw this thread in your innerwebs searching? Gen 1 Superduke1290 R Headlight Upgrade.. The guy he references in that thread, Mike Restivo, I swear is a member here (cannot recall his username) but here he is - Facebook လောဂ်အင်ဝင်ရန်

1 - 20 of 20 Posts