KTM Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after having my 2020 Duke R for a few months (It has the full Akra titanium exhaust, I have decided to send my ecu to Open flash to get their tune installed. I have used them on my old 2016 SDR and the improvements were very very good, especially from a drivability standpoint. My bike does have the Akra map but there are a couple things about it
that really bug me. One is the higher idle (like 1800 rpm) which seems common with the akra tune and two, the off idle throttle response and general softness through about 1/3rd throttle is annoying and makes getting going in first harder then it should be. The akra tune is smooth but the throttle does not feel connected to the bike until you get close to 1/2 throttle and above.

Hopefully the OFT tune will fix all of that :) Stay tuned.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you expand on how you liked their tune on your SDR? Considering going that route with mine.
Basically it did what I am asking for on my 890.....more direct feel between the throttle and the engine, it's very smooth and improved drivability immensely. On the stock tune 6th gear was unusable anywhere below about 75-80 mph. With the OFT tune, you can use 5th and 6th gears (or any gears really) at much lower speed/rpm's without the engine bucking, surging or complaining at all. Basically the around driving experience is much much improved. The bike also seems to have a bit more power/torque, etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Basically it did what I am asking for on my 890.....more direct feel between the throttle and the engine, it's very smooth and improved drivability immensely. On the stock tune 6th gear was unusable anywhere below about 75-80 mph. With the OFT tune, you can use 5th and 6th gears (or any gears really) at much lower speed/rpm's without the engine bucking, surging or complaining at all. Basically the around driving experience is much much improved. The bike also seems to have a bit more power/torque, etc.
On my 890 Duke R, I fit a decat pipe (retained standard muffler), K&N air filter and dropped 1 tooth off the front sprocket and it runs superbly whilst the acceleration (always in ‘SPORTS mode of course) is more instantaneous and feels like it should have been geared like this from factory,
Saved me some $$$ and really goes well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interested to hear your feedback, @CRFan1 - I had contacted them last month asking about how it worked and am thinking of doing the same this off-season.
Shipped my ECU off to Shiv today.....they will get it Monday and I hope I get it back by end of the week. Really, my bike ran well except the softness of the throttle off idle and the undirect feel of the drive by wire in that first half throttle area is what bugged me. If that alone gets improved I will happy as the bike rips in general, lol.

·
Registered
2021 KTM 890 Duke
59 Posts
Well, after having my 2020 Duke R for a few months (It has the full Akra titanium exhaust, I have decided to send my ecu to Open flash to get their tune installed. I have used them on my old 2016 SDR and the improvements were very very good, especially from a drivability standpoint. My bike does have the Akra map but there are a couple things about it that really bug me. One is the higher idle (like 1800 rpm) which seems common with the akra tune and two, the off idle throttle response and general softness through about 1/3rd throttle is annoying and makes getting going in first harder then it should be. The akra tune is smooth but the throttle does not feel connected to the bike until you get close to 1/2 throttle and above.

Hopefully the OFT tune will fix all of that :) Stay tuned.
Im interested in this as well, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it once you get it back and can test it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts