KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought from a Dealer today a 2008 690 Duke for $7,750 + tax (was listed for $8,250). It was used but in mint condition w/ 340 miles on it.
I think I got a good deal. Saw the Duke line for the first time at motorcycle show last month and was hooked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hell yea, those are both good deals,,, I would have done the same, but there were no used ones 10 months ago, so I bought new [[ somebody has to, or there will be no "used ones"]]...

4300 miles later [ one of several bikes] and still loving it,,

Enjoy !

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Summer pricing?

Local NY dealer here is besting at $9999 pre tax for a 690 Duke. Claims that there is high demand and he can do no better.

I love good singles and this looks like "The One", but am I on drugs considering a $10k single?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes

Local NY dealer here is besting at $9999 pre tax for a 690 Duke. Claims that there is high demand and he can do no better.

I love good singles and this looks like "The One", but am I on drugs considering a $10k single?
Find a bike online at a different dealer for $7750 and go get it, or have it shipped to you for $500.

I bought mine brand new for $8500 last year and the dealer sent a pickup on a 8 hour round trip to get it for me, no charge. You have to find someone who wants to sell a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
14,812 Posts
For that price, it should come with ALL the riding gear included. Carbon fiber helmet too.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ugh.

I've talked to 4 dealers and ~$10k is the price, with some at the list $10,850, "if you can find one."

I did see a couple of 990 SDs for $1200 more. So there's a pretty stiff unobtanium price on them. I don't feel comfortable with that.

(Finding the Brit KTM site didn't help with the value assessment. They are more common there and the comments are tempered with greater familiarity. The 'problems' page drops the reliab. down to average or below in my guess, discounting the accumulation of badness that collects on brand websites, so I don't get much support for the cost with a reliability/longevity argument.)

I have to pass. Right idea, though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
don,t like the high price of new?....buy USED !
several on e-bay the last couple a weeks,,, seen one go for $6700, very low miles....

only buy one if you live near some very twisty,narrow, mountain roads,,, otherwise it's talents are wasted.......[in otherwords, this bike sucks on flat, straight roads]..

I love mine,and it draws attention whenever I park it......:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm quite clear on it - always wanted a street thumper for its purity of purpose. This thing is a modern manx norton. You have a great bike and it has terrific resale value.

Used prices are about $1k-$2k less than what the bikes went for new, which isn't too good for a buyer. These things are bought for flogging and there is a "Clean, Used Underwear For Sale" factor with SM bikes; they're more like used dirt bikes than pampered street bikes.

The market is glutted with remarkable, low mile used bikes in the $5-$6k range and absolutely astonishing new bikes can be had around $8k. The price of the Duke is supported by its rarity and that's not good enough for me. A couple more containers from Austria would fix the issue and I'm not going to play games with dealers.

My local began our conversation by stating that the price was $12,600 (yes, a Duke) and that he probably would not sell to a local buyer - he could get more out-of-state. "...OKaaay, thanks for that info. Glad I dropped in. Can I leave now?"

I had stopped in at lunch time and had a tie on and was definitely wearing the wrong clothes. If you're headed over to see them it makes it more convenient for the dealer if you wear trousers with rubber knee pads and the zipper in the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts