KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if I am at liberty to share the actual tech bulletin issued, but I did want to make people at least aware and vigilant. There is a video circulating around where a guy's 2020 caught fire under the seat from this issue. (Go to 22:30 for the fun to begin). I would have unplugged the ECU as soon as it was out but im sure they were panicking

Seems KTM recognizes and is going to address it. This is not 100% of all bikes. It happens from slight variations in the assembly...so dont panic. Apparently the harness can chaf and rub up against metal components? I have not even seen a Gen 3 in person with the seat off...but you may want to have a look and see if anything looks melted or chaffed under the seat around the tail section. Also smell for the classic electric burn smell.

If you have not been contacted you, I am sure you will

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure if I am at liberty to share the actual tech bulletin issued, but I did want to make people at least aware and vigilant.

I would have unplugged the ECU as soon as it was out but im sure they were panicking
if you have the tech bulletin, please share it for others safety.

Dont unplug the ECU in this scenario, pull the main fuse, you have to break the circuit, thats the best way.

Rob

·
Registered
160 Posts
....if you have the tech bulletin, please share it for others safety.
+1

Read the same reported by a French guy on one of the SDR Facebook groups whose bike was booked in for the fix. Would be good to have more info....don't see why posting the bulletin would be a problem, afterall understanding of the issue and fix may save someone (a number of owners) a serious problem prior to their dealer seeing their bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, I have no intention of taking my bike to the dealer, so I prefer to remedy the situation myself.

If the dealer can arrange to do a 600m service on the day it’s BOOKED IT FOR, rather than want to keep it 2days, then I may reconsider giving him my business. Until then, I am my own best mechanic!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you have the tech bulletin, please share it for others safety.

Dont unplug the ECU in this scenario, pull the main fuse, you have to break the circuit, thats the best way.

Rob
+1

Read the same reported by a French guy on one of the SDR Facebook groups whose bike was booked in for the fix. Would be good to have more info....don't see why posting the bulletin would be a problem, afterall understanding of the issue and fix may save someone (a number of owners) a serious problem prior to their dealer seeing their bike.
Not that I need to justify my reasoning, but since I got the heads up from a KTM employee, I am not sure if it is to be shared as public knowledge yet since KTM is trying to do the right thing. Thats why. Posting up about it should be knowledge enough....especially if you intend to do it yourself. Look at your harness. See anything rubbing? fix it. The KTM dealer network will reach out about it, and you have the choice to call.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok
I just left the KTM dealership and they plugged in my VIN for my 2020.
No recalls.
I asked about the harness and he knew nothing about it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
:ROFLMAO:...... my Hyundai Tucson has been hit with a recall for possible engine bay fire caused by a faulty ABS module...... but they say it's safe to continue driving, just don't park it in the garage next to your 1290SDGT :ROFLMAO:..........

Only 12 Tucson's have gone up in flames in the USA since 2015, and none over here in Oz land........ so it's easy to just check your 20SDR wiring or make sure the ECU is secured properly or make sure you haven't stuffed any rags or tools on top of it etc....... and just wait to be advised......... it's likely a precautionary recall just like my Tucson......... hopefully :whistle:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if I am at liberty to share the actual tech bulletin issued, but I did want to make people at least aware and vigilant. There is a video circulating around where a guy's 2020 caught fire under the seat from this issue. (Go to 22:30 for the fun to begin). I would have unplugged the ECU as soon as it was out but im sure they were panicking

Seems KTM recognizes and is going to address it. This is not 100% of all bikes. It happens from slight variations in the assembly...so dont panic. Apparently the harness can chaf and rub up against metal components? I have not even seen a Gen 3 in person with the seat off...but you may want to have a look and see if anything looks melted or chaffed under the seat around the tail section. Also smell for the classic electric burn smell.

If you have not been contacted you, I am sure you will
Was in getting new tires for my 2020 SDR yesterday after a puncture and was told about the recall as well. Part on order, should be booked in soon. At least they're on top of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
KTM Press Release, XX/XX/2021
RECALL OF KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R MODEL YEAR 2020: REWORK OF THE TAIL END LOWER PART AND MAIN WIRING HARNESS
Valid for all markets
KTM recalls KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R model year 2020 to the workshops of authorized KTM dealers in order to check the main wiring harness in the area of the tail end lower part for possible damage due to differences in the assembly process.
In the production process of the wiring harness in the area of the tail end lower part, nonconformities may have occurred. The main wiring harness must therefore be checked in three places for possible damage. The tail end lower part must be removed and reworked to do this.
Customers to whom the affected motorcycles have already been delivered are being personally informed by letter and are asked to immediately contact an authorized KTM dealer to arrange an appointment. In addition, customers can check online in the “Service” area on the KTM website if their motorcycle is affected by the recall.
The rework of the tail end lower part and the main wiring harness takes about 75 minutes if the wires are okay, about 95 minutes if there is damage to the wires and about 240 minutes if there is damage to the wires and the main wiring harness has to be replaced. The rework can be carried out by authorized KTM dealers only. This check and possible rework of the main wiring harness is a free-of- charge service for customers performed under warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
KTM Press Release, XX/XX/2021
RECALL OF KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R MODEL YEAR 2020: REWORK OF THE TAIL END LOWER PART AND MAIN WIRING HARNESS
Valid for all markets
KTM recalls KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R model year 2020 to the workshops of authorized KTM dealers in order to check the main wiring harness in the area of the tail end lower part for possible damage due to differences in the assembly process.
In the production process of the wiring harness in the area of the tail end lower part, nonconformities may have occurred. The main wiring harness must therefore be checked in three places for possible damage. The tail end lower part must be removed and reworked to do this.
Customers to whom the affected motorcycles have already been delivered are being personally informed by letter and are asked to immediately contact an authorized KTM dealer to arrange an appointment. In addition, customers can check online in the “Service” area on the KTM website if their motorcycle is affected by the recall.
The rework of the tail end lower part and the main wiring harness takes about 75 minutes if the wires are okay, about 95 minutes if there is damage to the wires and about 240 minutes if there is damage to the wires and the main wiring harness has to be replaced. The rework can be carried out by authorized KTM dealers only. This check and possible rework of the main wiring harness is a free-of- charge service for customers performed under warranty.
Sounds like you know much about this issue. Are you able to give detail? If I can do it myself I will. My dealer seems to be clueless. They learned about it from my informing them of what I learned from KTMForums. Sad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All I did was cut and paste that from KTM’s safety and recalls page. Sorry I don’t know more, I was just trying to pass along some info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I typed my VIN into KTM's Safety Page and it showed my bike had a safety recall. I called my dealer (Grand Junction KTM in Grand Junction, Colorado) and spoke to John in the Service department. I asked him about it and he replied "That's funny, I just got it (the recall notice)." He was reading it while on the phone with me. So, I made an appointment to take my bike in (2020 SDR) on Thursday, the 25th of February, so he can look at it on the 26th. In the mean time he said he's ordering parts. It's been snowing so no big deal, I'd like to get it taken care of now before the season is full on.

I'm off to an auspicious start with this bike. Tried to buy it in January, couldn't deliver it because of a recall on the shifter shaft. Bike was delivered on February 6th, rode it on the 7th for about 50 miles. Now there's another recall, at least there's snow on the ground. My '08 KTM 300 XCX was bullet-proof, and I'm hoping after some "burping" that the Super Duke will be, as well.

Cheers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I’ve had my recall call from the dealer. I need to ring them back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok
I just left the KTM dealership and they plugged in my VIN for my 2020.
No recalls.
I asked about the harness and he knew nothing about it.
I typed my VIN into KTM's Safety Page and it showed my bike had a safety recall. I called my dealer (Grand Junction KTM in Grand Junction, Colorado) and spoke to John in the Service department. I asked him about it and he replied "That's funny, I just got it (the recall notice)." He was reading it while on the phone with me. So, I made an appointment to take my bike in (2020 SDR) on Thursday, the 25th of February, so he can look at it on the 26th. In the mean time he said he's ordering parts. It's been snowing so no big deal, I'd like to get it taken care of now before the season is full on.

I'm off to an auspicious start with this bike. Tried to buy it in January, couldn't deliver it because of a recall on the shifter shaft. Bike was delivered on February 6th, rode it on the 7th for about 50 miles. Now there's another recall, at least there's snow on the ground. My '08 KTM 300 XCX was bullet-proof, and I'm hoping after some "burping" that the Super Duke will be, as well. No better than my Hardley shop in Charleston,SC.

Cheers.
My dealer (Savannah Georgia) seemed clueless about this recall. They say they won't order anything until they look at the bike. So I could be in waiting for how long? Am I supposed to ride my bike there and leave till who knows when? Piss poor in my book. No better than my Hardley shop in Charleston SC. I'm with Trebor27. Do it yourself. So far, not impressed with KTM customer service.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I blame the dealers, but they all seem to set such a low bar, I don’t know how much KTM can beat them up over it.... I often wonder if a dealership over here, modeled on the UK level of service, would survive. Do they a) run on razor thin margins, or are they b) just greedy bastards wanting to stuff their sacks as full as possible with cash. They dont seem to do much for the amount of cream they skim off the top...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer Motorcycles R U in QLD, aus has been great. Had the bike (2020 SDR) in for new tires and they told me about the recall and that they'd ordered the parts already. My 2018 and 2020 sdrs have not been without issue, BUT the dealer has handled most of the issues excellently. Hope to have the recall repair done shortly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Too cold and too much salt so I decided to take the lower tail off to see what my wiring looked like. It’s an easy task once the passenger peg brackets are off. It’s easier if you disconnect the light connections and the seat lock cable.

Here are the pics (excuse the size, but I wanted to give everyone a good look.

I did find a spot where the wiring was rubbing the tail under tray (see the yellow circles for the location). The rubbing did not make any real progress through the cladding - my wiring is not damaged. It looks like it is the wire to the exhaust valve motor. The tail light wire is also rubbing on the tray. I am going to wrap the tail light wire.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts