KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice job. It's super interesting that rubbing like that would cause an outright electrical fire like was seen on that youtube clip. That lower part is not conductive AFAIK and all of the circuits in that harness should be protected by fuse. I think I was expecting the starter circuit to be rubbing on metal frame or something more catastrophic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The wire next to the exhaust valve motor is the hot wire coming from the main fuse box to the main harness. That one probably gets hot enough to burn things if the insulation is gone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That’s not the wire related to the recall. Check the wire that plugs into the voltage regulator, also check the large bundle where it routes in the left hand side of the bike!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I checked both of those locations as well. I saw no damage on the wire to the regulator or to the bundle on the left side. As you can see in my earlier pictures, the wire on the right was definitely rubbing. I still think it would be bad if the hot wire were to be damaged.

The recall mentioned there are three locations being inspected. I looked at the three places that were readily apparent when I removed the lower tail (left - center - right).

Here are pictures of the left and center (regulator wire). The regulator wire could potentially rub on the frame.

Do you know what “repair” they are doing if the wires aren’t damaged?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would strongly recommend you get your dealer to look at it....
Whats this here? This the the main bundle which is affected, though it shows to the left of where I marked, but is this a rub point?

follow this bundle inside to next to where you see the red plug under the drivers seat, inspect the main bundle all the way up the the red plug, thats area 2, area 3 is the reg/rec wire you see in your last photo.

Also, you know that little side cover in the triangle of the rear sub-frame, on the LHS of the bike? Pull the side cover off and check inside there to make sure none of the wires are rubbing behind there.

In the above photo, you need to make sure the bundle of wire is prevented from rubbing on the fram, area marked in red, maybe cable tied to the plastic above? Make sure the loop of wire marked in green, does no protrude more towards the rear than the edge of the grey plug.....

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Taking it to the dealer was always the plan. I just wanted to see if there was any obvious damage. I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer to confirm they have the parts in stock for the shift shaft recall. I called them a day before the letter was published for the wiring recall, and my VIN was indicating the shift shaft recall (which came up in the last couple of months for my VIN) and two software updates. They were supposed to let me know Friday if the parts had arrived but I haven’t heard from them yet.

It’s difficult to tell if that middle section of the harness is a rub point (where you circled green). It is certainly flush against the plastic above.

I did check the regulator wire as far up as I could see - I think they should have secured that wire to the box above.

I did not pull the LHS triangle. I will check there as well.

Once I get this recall service performed I will post up pics for comparison.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the posting the letter.

Looks like I found a location “D” on my bike. :)

I am one of the lucky ones who doesn’t have damaged wiring, so they just need to install the two parts, zip tie the voltage regulator wire, and perform a bit of cutting on the under tray.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice job. It's super interesting that rubbing like that would cause an outright electrical fire like was seen on that youtube clip. That lower part is not conductive AFAIK and all of the circuits in that harness should be protected by fuse. I think I was expecting the starter circuit to be rubbing on metal frame or something more catastrophic.
+1 ......I find this issue strange on a couple of fronts...
  • would have to be a pretty heavy cable to carry enough current to spark a fire?
  • the only circuit I can think of that would not be fused (?) / has a 30amp fuse (?) is the starter motor circuit [could you get a short sufficient to spark a fire but grounding less current than 30A?]
....a serious design flaw or assembly error for there to be a major live wire routed in such a way / not properly secured to stop movement, so as to be able to chaff through.

Not heard a peep from either dealer I've used but KTM.com shows my bike is potentially affected....will give them a bit longer before I get on the phone.

https://www.ktm.com/en-us/service/Safety.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
would have to be a pretty heavy cable to carry enough current to spark a fire?
No, the opposite, a light wire will not be able to handle the current and can catch fire.
Take a really thin wire and short your battery, no don’t do this, you could get a nasty burn.

But your thinking is partially correct. Wouldn’t light wires get a lower ampage fuse to protect them?

You often have 1 fuse protecting multiple circuits, here the fuse would be rated for combined current. The combined current can be exceed by 1 wire and this is when you get a lot of heat pretty quickly with the fuse potentially holding up fine.

Rob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Makes fuses somewhat pointless if the wiring for any any one of a number of circuits protected by a single fuse is rated to a lesser max current than the fuse itself......or indeed the current handling capability of the electrical component being powered. Such a setup surely wouldn't pass safety regs?
Will be very interesting to learn what's going on here....if we ever do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked at the wiring diagram from the repair manual. If I am not mistaken, the wire on the right side of the bike that had not started rubbing, only because the exhaust valve wire got between it and the under tray, is the wire going to the ABS fuses (25A and 15A). This wire is connected to the same terminal as the battery + wire (on the starter relay/main fuse widget). So this wire is effectively the same as the positive battery cable. There isn‘t metal in the area of the rubbing aside from the exhaust valve wires.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Makes fuses somewhat pointless if the wiring for any any one of a number of circuits protected by a single fuse is rated to a lesser max current than the fuse itself......or indeed the current handling capability of the electrical component being powered. Such a setup surely wouldn't pass safety regs?
Will be very interesting to learn what's going on here....if we ever do.
Hmm, your are probably right. But we don’t need to overheat the entire wire, only at the point of contact, which is what’s happening here based on photos of damage. An intermittent short to ground, may not exceed the fused rating, but the arcing it creates when making/breaking contact, is it’s self hot, also a loose contact has a higher resistance, also creating heat at point of contact, that too could easily cause localized heating.

Looking at the fuses, the the lowest is 10A, that’s a lot of power.

Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
After reading here I decided to call my dealer. Again.
The 2020 is there right now because the right turn signals stopped working.
They ran the VIN again and there is no recall yet for me.
bet they call me in April when the roads clear up.:mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Spoke to the dealer today. The wiring recall is showing up for my VIN, so they are ordering those parts. I had talked to them at the beginning of last week regarding the shift shaft recall for my bike (a couple of days before KTM posted the wiring recall on the website). At that time, my VIN was only showing the shift shaft recall and two software updates.

I also looked more closely at the wiring on the left side (including under the triangle plastic). I could not find any damage.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
After reading here I decided to call my dealer. Again.
The 2020 is there right now because the right turn signals stopped working.
They ran the VIN again and there is no recall yet for me.
bet they call me in April when the roads clear up.:mad:
Wondering if there is a cutoff within 2020? Like maybe its not all 2020? Everything seems to indicate it is. I would call another random dealer and have them look up your VIN and see if you get the same answer. If you do...maybe yours is a late 2020 build? When did you buy it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also depends how long it was sat in the dealers floor. I bought mine on the 2nd Jan 2021, I do have the recall.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought mine July 3 2020.
I’ll try calling another dealer.
Mine did mention there may be differences within the year.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hmm, your are probably right. But we don’t need to overheat the entire wire, only at the point of contact, which is what’s happening here based on photos of damage. An intermittent short to ground, may not exceed the fused rating, but the arcing it creates when making/breaking contact, is it’s self hot, also a loose contact has a higher resistance, also creating heat at point of contact, that too could easily cause localized heating.

Looking at the fuses, the the lowest is 10A, that’s a lot of power.

Rob
(y)

....what photos of the damage have you seen...do you have a link / links? Thnx

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don’t have access to a link or photos, sorry, but the file MishMash shared above also has photos of example damage.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts