KTM Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had hoped to be able to mount my phone above the display and that the older GPS mount was going to fit. It wasn't until I picked up the bike from the dealer that I noticed there is no room behind the display.

I did find this, it's the new GPS bracket for the 2019s, but not sure where it gets mounted,

ktm.com/sl/powerparts/navigation/gps-bracket-0003583f

No install instructions and also haven't been able to find any one selling it online in the US. I'll probably just do the Ram mounted X-Grip on the handlebars for my phone.

Hope this helps you.
That's just the bracket you need to mount the Powerparts Touratech Iphone/GPS holder to the handlebar clamps. The Touratech phone holder is another $155

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone have a picture of their GPS mount setup on a 2019 GT? PowerParts shows nothing and the offering on KTM Twins https://ktmtwins.com/collections/ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-parts/products/ktm-61312992044 has no details of where or how. I'm thinking there is a better way than the Garmin handlebar mount.
I put on some bar risers so i now have access to the bar between the bar posts as the top plate is no longer there. That allowed me to use a ram mount U bolt and short arm.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What's the advantage to running a separate GPS when you already have a smartphone mounted? I use my phone as a GPS and the voice in the phone gives me directions via the earbuds I use. Don't even need to look at a route map, but it's there on the phone if I would. Seems rather redundant to have both going at once.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What's the advantage to running a separate GPS when you already have a smartphone mounted? I use my phone as a GPS and the voice in the phone gives me directions via the earbuds I use. Don't even need to look at a route map, but it's there on the phone if I would. Seems rather redundant to have both going at once.
I would imagine it’s having Sat Nav instead of a cell based connection. Especially if you are off the main roads.

I’m cheap though and have T-Mobile, which is great near civilization but not so much once further away.
As long as the route is going while there is service it will keep running even without service. But trying to load a route with no service doesn’t work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would imagine it’s having Sat Nav instead of a cell based connection. Especially if you are off the main roads.

I’m cheap though and have T-Mobile, which is great near civilization but not so much once further away.
As long as the route is going while there is service it will keep running even without service. But trying to load a route with no service doesn’t work.
Google maps allows you to download offline maps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I often ride in areas where there is no cell phone service - even closer to town in the mountains. In that case you wont have GPS guidance even if your cell app ( I also use In Route on my phone - its fantastic) downloads the base map if you go off route . Also if a road on your route is closed and ypou have no cell service you are then "flying blind" without GPS

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Someone posted on another forum that phone GPS works without cell service these days thanks to new programs etc. Pretty sure if you load a route when service is there it continues even if there's a break in service. The USAF is preparing to launch a whole new generation of GPS satellites with tougher security firewalls. New sats will be even more accurate, also.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Most of the areas we travel through in the Appalachian Mountain chain have no cell services. Fortunately, there is a BaseCamp Wizard in our riding group. He creates the routes in a gpx file(s) and sends them out. Also, I have an SD card in my Garmin that allows me to have thousands of songs. Yes, it is cumbersome to load the songs on the GPS but, is worth the time. Best,

Doc 😀 😀

·
Registered
21 Posts
Someone posted on another forum that phone GPS works without cell service these days thanks to new programs etc. Pretty sure if you load a route when service is there it continues even if there's a break in service. The USAF is preparing to launch a whole new generation of GPS satellites with tougher security firewalls. New sats will be even more accurate, also.
Yes it will work without cell service to navigate a pre downloaded route. If the route changes or needs to be changed you cant do that without cell service and hence the need for GPS

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes it will work without cell service to navigate a pre downloaded route. If the route changes or needs to be changed you cant do that without cell service and hence the need for GPS
The one that has got me before is out riding around with no particular destination.
When I want to go home or back to a known location, no cell service, have to wing it until I get somewhere with service.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The one that has got me before is out riding around with no particular destination.
When I want to go home or back to a known location, no cell service, have to wing it until I get somewhere with service.

With the Garmin GPS all you have to do is press "Go Home".......
Just Saying

Best,

Doc o_O o_O

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Being a paper map user, I've never been really lost. Don't think there's any place within a thousand miles of here with no cell service, and those areas are shrinking daily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use my Android phone (Pixel 3XL) mounted to my windshield support via a RAM Mount and a custom mounting adapter (see more in my other post). The phone is waterproof (proven through several rainstorms), and I charge it using a wireless puck - similar to Thumper1500 above.

I like having quick access to Google Maps through the Google Assistant (one button press on my Sena 30K). For planned trips, I use Google My Maps. My Maps is slightly different from the "regular" Google Maps in that it doesn't re-route if you get off the pre-planned route. Kind of like highlighting a paper map. The down-side is that you lose voice/turn-by-turn directions.

Since part of this thread deviated into audio solutions, I'll summarize mine:
I do listen to music on long or non-technical rides. My setup is phone connected to Sena 30K. I wear foam earplugs about 99% of the time, and I used to just turn up the volume to max on the Sena and hope for the best. That worked great until I hit highway speeds. I've started using the auxiliary port on the Sena to plug in a set of amplified bone-conducting headphones and it is SO MUCH BETTER. My ears are protected from the wind noise by the earplugs, but the quality of the sound coming through the headphones (via the bone conduction) is fantastic. It took a little practice to be able to put my helmet on over the headphones, but once I got it right, I don't think I could ask for anything better. I have yet to reach a speed where the audio is unclear when using the intercom with other riders. Technically it's not "wireless" since the headphones are wired to the Sena, but it's self-contained and I'm not physically tethered to my bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. I use to use Ram Mount X Grip but the arms would interfere with the buttons on my iPhone. I honestly think the Quad lock system is the way to go
I keep looking at those and thinking I have to try it at some point. My current mounting solution is also a wireless charger, though, and I haven't figured out how to rig that up yet.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts