KTM Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, after a bunch of wheelies (not hard front landing ones either) my bars can rotate back and make me feel like I'm some sort of hipster. Since I'm a grumpy old man instead, I'd rather not experience this any longer. Nothing is stripped and the bolts are torqued to spec. I've even over tightened slightly and after a while, the same thing happens. Is Locktite (sp?) something I should be considering at this point or does anyone have any better idea?

Thanks as always,

Andy

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sorry Andysan..... I'm a wuss and don't do wheelies over 1cm :LOL:. Locktite or Permatec might act as an anti slip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is a special grade of loctite used for stuff like handlebar clamps and other press or clamp fittings. I've used it for other applications and it worked and held up great. It was green, not sure of the grade, 638 maybe? Check their website.

And I am also a wheelie wuss😟

·
Registered
170 Posts
What's your technique for torqueing down the bolts? I think it should be the front ones first, and tighten with the rear bolts... Or maybe that's reversed. Also, what torque are you putting on the bolts exactly? I also use blue Loctite but it's just a precaution because the bars shouldn't be moving, something's wrong.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't remember the torque settings as it's been a little while since it needed to be done and we've had cold wet weather... TX winter... I've not yet tried a systematic sequence for tightening them, but likely a clockwise rotation and then a double check. I remember popping a timid wheelie on the way home from the dealer with it last year and they moved. I have likely run 200+ wheelies since then and it happens every so often... and always far from home... My mechanic friend agrees with Loctite. I wasn't aware of the green, etc. I'll check out their site for some info. Thanks again!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't remember the torque settings as it's been a little while since it needed to be done and we've had cold wet weather... TX winter... I've not yet tried a systematic sequence for tightening them, but likely a clockwise rotation and then a double check. I remember popping a timid wheelie on the way home from the dealer with it last year and they moved. I have likely run 200+ wheelies since then and it happens every so often... and always far from home... My mechanic friend agrees with Loctite. I wasn't aware of the green, etc. I'll check out their site for some info. Thanks again!
I think that's your problem. Some bolts have a circular tightening pattern. With handlebars it's important to tighten the handlebar clamp bolts at the front and then torque down the rearwards ones to fasten the bars. I believe the torque is only 14.8 ft./lbs. so while Loctite is good insurance it really shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. I bought some blue and will give it a shot this weekend. I learned the red is for use when you don't ever plan to take out the bolt again. I'm afraid of big commitments, so I went with the blue ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are the bolts coming loose, or is the handlebar slipping? The blue and red are designed to be used on threaded fasteners.

If you have any trouble later, a little heat will defeat the loctite!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the blue for scopes and sights on firearms. I’ve never used any locktite on handlebar clamp bolts. Look it over carefully there may be something else wrong

·
Registered
43 Posts
The green I suggested is the retaining compound, as mentioned above. It is for the fit between the clamps and bar, to keep it from rotating under the clamps. I see now there is also a wicking green threadlocker, this is not the one I was referring too.

Sorry for any confusion, perhaps I misunderstood the issue!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The green I suggested is the retaining compound, as mentioned above. It is for the fit between the clamps and bar, to keep it from rotating under the clamps. I see now there is also a wicking green threadlocker, this is not the one I was referring too.

Gotcha, and thanks!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are the bolts coming loose, or is the handlebar slipping? The blue and red are designed to be used on threaded fasteners.

If you have any trouble later, a little heat will defeat the loctite!
Good question, and one that I don't know the answer to. I assumed the bolts were loosening slightly as I looked at it with a mechanic friend and we saw nothing unusual. Very good food for thought, thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts

Whoa! Really? I've never heard of that before. Thanks for sharing, I learned something.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: I pulled the bolts 1 at a time and none had loctite on them, though the service manual someone posted says it does (the blue). I put some on and torqued them horizontally and then repeated with the torque wrench to the proper pressure of 20NM. I'll resist the beautiful weather tomorrow and let it set for 24 hrs. Hopefully this has solved the issue.

P.S. 1 thing maybe worth mentioning is that the top 2 bolts were tight as hell while the bottom 2 would hardly be considered tight by anyone's standards. They were definitely under torqued, but I remember tightening them myself quite snugly last time. Hopefully the even tightening and the loctite solves the issue. Thanks very much everyone for your help!

Andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts