KTM Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You're not missing much... Spend the money on some really good tires or an exhaust. Prospected is a skilled rider. Most people, myself included, probably don't have the talent or the place to ride a bike like this fast enough to take advantage of features such as adjustable on the fly traction control.

As mentioned previously, the front end on my bike won't lift more than a couple of inches regardless of the mode so something is boogered with the pack. I'm half tempted to have them pull the track pack off. I do like the hill hold control, but can't see a reason why I would ever want to use launch control on a bike.
I hear you but it’s something I want. I’m 40 and I’ve been riding off road/on road since I was 8 and I teach the MSF course so I would consider myself skilled as well and would like to take advantage of the technology that’s all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My local dealer contacted me regarding a sale of the track pack last spring. If I remember correctly it was 1/2 off, and it really works well. I have had no issues and have it on 100% of the time. I'm located in Northern California (Redding).
My bike is in the shop today getting new shoes. I'll ask the dealer what he knows about the product being available for the GT or not at this time when I pick it up this evening.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hear you but it’s something I want. I’m 40 and I’ve been riding off road/on road since I was 8 and I teach the MSF course so I would consider myself skilled as well and would like to take advantage of the technology that’s all.
Keep pressing then if you must have it. Or call around and see if another dealer will sell it to you. I bet you can find someone who will install it for you if your local dealer won't if you wave some money around. I've done motorcycle track days etc and am an ok rider. But on the street, I can't even come close to the potential of this bike without taking some serious risk (speed/law enforcement/road debris/etc) and I certainly don't press it hard enough where I need to adjust the traction control settings... The pack might be helpful on the track, but I'm not taking a big porky SDGT to a track day :)

At the end of the day, it doesn't feel like a whole different bike when it's on. To me anyway. The throttle is sharper... It's not like you turn it on and the GT turns into a savage beast with an extra 50hp... Maybe my track pack is just a dud and that's why they don't sell it anymore due to the inconsistencies?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Feel your pain. If the weather is good or I am at the track plug in the “ABS Dongle ( KTM 1290 Super Duke ABS Dongle - 61312953044 ).” Keeps my 2017 GT in Sup Moto Mode even if I turn off the bike. Realize it is not the same thing. Best,

(y) (y) Doc

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Keep pressing then if you must have it. Or call around and see if another dealer will sell it to you. I bet you can find someone who will install it for you if your local dealer won't if you wave some money around. I've done motorcycle track days etc and am an ok rider. But on the street, I can't even come close to the potential of this bike without taking some serious risk (speed/law enforcement/road debris/etc) and I certainly don't press it hard enough where I need to adjust the traction control settings... The pack might be helpful on the track, but I'm not taking a big porky SDGT to a track day :)

At the end of the day, it doesn't feel like a whole different bike when it's on. To me anyway. The throttle is sharper... It's not like you turn it on and the GT turns into a savage beast with an extra 50hp... Maybe my track pack is just a dud and that's why they don't sell it anymore due to the inconsistencies?
I’m not saying it’s a must have I’m just saying I would like to have it and I agree it’s probably better suited for a track. I doubt yours is a dud and I’m trying to get down to the nitty gritty as to why it’s no longer available for the GT but still available for the R especially since we have GT owners who have it. I’ve called 3 dealerships and it looks like it’s a no go at the moment 🙁

·
Registered
241 Posts
I’m not saying it’s a must have I’m just saying I would like to have it and I agree it’s probably better suited for a track. I doubt yours is a dud and I’m trying to get down to the nitty gritty as to why it’s no longer available for the GT but still available for the R especially since we have GT owners who have it. I’ve called 3 dealerships and it looks like it’s a no go at the moment 🙁
Do you think if I took mine off they would let you have it? One for one swap. They're technically still not allowing any additional bikes to have it in that case.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you think if I took mine off they would let you have it? One for one swap. They're technically still not allowing any additional bikes to have it in that case.
That’s a really good question but I doubt it but I will ask, thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I picked up my GT yesterday evening with new tires, I asked the manager (owner's son) about the Track Pack for GT's. After looking on the shop computer (I presume the KTM website), he couldn't find any information on it still being available for the GT. Only the R.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When I picked up my GT yesterday evening with new tires, I asked the manager (owner's son) about the Track Pack for GT's. After looking on the shop computer (I presume the KTM website), he couldn't find any information on it still being available for the GT. Only the R.
Thank you for asking. I’ve accepted that it’s no longer available for the GT

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I'm interested in having the track pack installed but I was told that it may not be available for my bike but they will not know until they connect the computer. I'm going to make an appointment to have my dash updated (software update available) and while the bike is in there I figured I would have the track pack installed if it's available at all.

Also does anyone have any details on the recently released software update for the dash? What is it suppose to improve?
I have a 2019 SDGT that I bought in March 2019, and I had the Trac Pac installed. The word is: currently here in the USA, although the Trac Pac is not listed on the website as an option for the SDGT, when the tech plugs the bike in, the Trac Pac is listed and can be installed if the owner requests it.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I too just joined to reply to this, although I've been visiting the forum quite a bit over the past year. I just got my '20 GT the start of Aug.

The Track Pack is a bit of a funny item. Officially KTM doesn't offer it in the US. It was dropped shortly after the MY19 bikes were released, and almost all dealers will tell you it doesn't exist anymore. HOWEVER, there is a way the service guys can access it. Once your bike is plugged into their computer, if they go into the available software packages, it should show up. It does not show up if the bike isn't plugged in and connected.
I was the first person to have it done at my dealer, and had to talk sweet nothings into the service guys ear. I had it done the same time the first service was done. Service guy said when he first plugged the bike in when I dropped it off, the software pack didn't show up. He figured I was blowing smoke up his rear. After acknowledging that the first service was done in the computer, he went back into the available software and the Track Pack showed up. So it may be something that can't be accessed until after the first service is done and acknowledged. I haven't been back in since, so I don't know if they are offering it to others yet.
I had the Trac Pac installed on my 2019 SDGT, when I purchased it, so it has nothing to do with the first service.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have a new "leftover" 19. Got it in Jan 2002, I think. I did purchase the track pack. But it does not work "as advertised". The wheelie control never really comes off, despite disengaging it. The dealer says they should have never installed it according to their regional KTM rep and looks like I caught a weird window where they were getting ready to shut it down, but hadn't officially done so yet. Supposedly I'm supposed to get a refund for the purchase of the track pack. We'll see... It may just be applied as a credit as my left front rotor warped badly with less than 4k miles on it, and KTM would not warranty the rotor or the damaged pad. Which is pretty lame.... As if I could be somehow responsible for a bad rotor which subsequently ruined the pad. I got a call last week about the brake service that was done 2 months ago, asking for money (around $300). I told them to call KTM about my refund first and then we would sware up :)
There is a YouTube video that explains how to wheelie the Beast, it is worth a watch. The engineers have the throttle maps designed in such a way that you actually have to snap the throttle, and the front comes right up. As long as you are just rolling on the throttle, the designers have purposely made a distinction between trying to be aggressive or those that just plan want to wheelie. The video also suggests you do not snap the throttle below 3rd gear.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
You're not missing much... Spend the money on some really good tires or an exhaust. Prospected is a skilled rider. Most people, myself included, probably don't have the talent or the place to ride a bike like this fast enough to take advantage of features such as adjustable on the fly traction control.

As mentioned previously, the front end on my bike won't lift more than a couple of inches regardless of the mode so something is boogered with the pack. I'm half tempted to have them pull the track pack off. I do like the hill hold control, but can't see a reason why I would ever want to use launch control on a bike.
I turned the Hill Hold off, because it only works, when the bike is on a particular grade or steeper. Unless you look down at the consul, to see if it is engaged, you will stall the bike, as the rear brake does not release for 5 seconds. This means you either have to over-rev the engine to account for the rear brake dragging, or you can wait 5 seconds, while the people behind you think you are a complete idiot! Maybe if I were riding in the Swiss Alps for the day, I might turn it on, but since I ride solo, it is more of a pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm interested in having the track pack installed but I was told that it may not be available for my bike but they will not know until they connect the computer. I'm going to make an appointment to have my dash updated (software update available) and while the bike is in there I figured I would have the track pack installed if it's available at all.

Also does anyone have any details on the recently released software update for the dash? What is it suppose to improve?
I bought a leftover 19 GT six weeks ago, and it has the track pack on it. I was under the impression it came stock on the US bikes.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I bought a leftover 19 GT six weeks ago, and it has the track pack on it. I was under the impression it came stock on the US bikes.
All of the performance options are just software downloads that are not included in the stock price. While my 2019 SDGT started at approx. $18,000 USD, I paid in excess of $27,000 USD out the door, and by the time I got a new seat and windshield etc., I have well over $30,000 invested in this bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is a YouTube video that explains how to wheelie the Beast, it is worth a watch. The engineers have the throttle maps designed in such a way that you actually have to snap the throttle, and the front comes right up. As long as you are just rolling on the throttle, the designers have purposely made a distinction between trying to be aggressive or those that just plan want to wheelie. The video also suggests you do not snap the throttle below 3rd gear.
I am not a stunter but I know how to wheelie a bike. Mine simply won't... I think the electronic nannies are jacked. I regret buying this GT. While I do enjoy it, getting parts and dealing with KTM has not been great. The dealer experience has been meh as well. If was going to go niche bike, I should have got a BMW. I wasn't overjoyed with Ducati's reliability and service, and I would say KTM is slightly worse as it tends to be an "extra brand" that mainstream Japanese dealers have that gets a lot less love from the business, likely because they sell a lot less of them.

I turned the Hill Hold off, because it only works, when the bike is on a particular grade or steeper. Unless you look down at the consul, to see if it is engaged, you will stall the bike, as the rear brake does not release for 5 seconds. This means you either have to over-rev the engine to account for the rear brake dragging, or you can wait 5 seconds, while the people behind you think you are a complete idiot! Maybe if I were riding in the Swiss Alps for the day, I might turn it on, but since I ride solo, it is more of a pain.
That is the one paid feature that works well for me. I almost never use it, but it's incredibly handy if you're on a very steep incline waiting for a light or to pull out in traffic. I've never stalled mine, but I can always tell when it's engaged. Not necessary as you can just ride the back brake yourself, but it does work, at least on my bike. KTM's don't tend to be overly consistent.

All of the performance options are just software downloads that are not included in the stock price. While my 2019 SDGT started at approx. $18,000 USD, I paid in excess of $27,000 USD out the door, and by the time I got a new seat and windshield etc., I have well over $30,000 invested in this bike.
How is that even possible to add 50% of the purchase price of the bike in accessories?? Did you have a full platinum exhaust installed? :)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I am not a stunter but I know how to wheelie a bike. Mine simply won't... I think the electronic nannies are jacked. I regret buying this GT. While I do enjoy it, getting parts and dealing with KTM has not been great. The dealer experience has been meh as well. If was going to go niche bike, I should have got a BMW. I wasn't overjoyed with Ducati's reliability and service, and I would say KTM is slightly worse as it tends to be an "extra brand" that mainstream Japanese dealers have that gets a lot less love from the business, likely because they sell a lot less of them.

That is the one paid feature that works well for me. I almost never use it, but it's incredibly handy if you're on a very steep incline waiting for a light or to pull out in traffic. I've never stalled mine, but I can always tell when it's engaged. Not necessary as you can just ride the back brake yourself, but it does work, at least on my bike. KTM's don't tend to be overly consistent.

How is that even possible to add 50% of the purchase price of the bike in accessories?? Did you have a full platinum exhaust installed? :)
No, but I bought all of the Power Parts accessories including the carbon fiber parts; the carbon fiber costs $3,000 by itself, and as it turns out, you can spend a lot more than I did, if you get the carbon fiber wheels and full exhaust etc. In addition, I bought the Power Parts heated seat, which sits in a box in my garage, as it is just as uncomfortable as the stock seat.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

The attached file contains the horsepower torque curves for Aprilla, BMW, and KTM. You will notice none of the other high RPM bikes start making power until you are way high in the RPM's, and none of them can touch the mid-range torque of the Beast. While the other bikes might be fun at the track, everyday riding on the streets at 8,000 RPM is not much fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
..The pack might be helpful on the track, but I'm not taking a big porky SDGT to a track day :)
Big and porky huh? Try this video of a bone stock GT with slicks.... he revs it just a bit too high but the dude rides around more sporty "looking" bikes and uses brakes like a maestro.

Reactions: leavittjim

·
Registered
241 Posts
No, but I bought all of the Power Parts accessories including the carbon fiber parts; the carbon fiber costs $3,000 by itself, and as it turns out, you can spend a lot more than I did, if you get the carbon fiber wheels and full exhaust etc. In addition, I bought the Power Parts heated seat, which sits in a box in my garage, as it is just as uncomfortable as the stock seat.
Wow, I did all the carbon power parts on my bike too, but didn't pay anywhere near that... I'm still not sure how you got to 10k unless you of course did the full exhaust, wheels, etc...

The attached file contains the horsepower torque curves for Aprilla, BMW, and KTM. You will notice none of the other high RPM bikes start making power until you are way high in the RPM's, and none of them can touch the mid-range torque of the Beast. While the other bikes might be fun at the track, everyday riding on the streets at 8,000 RPM is not much fun!
Agreed. Which is why I like twins. It's not a power issue on my bike. I've hammered it in first, dumped the clutch, rocked the throttle... Nothing happens, yet I could wheelie my other bikes. I've tried switching everything off. Nothing. I'm guessing there's a track pack conflict and the nannies are permanently engaged somehow.

Big and porky huh? Try this video of a bone stock GT with slicks.... he revs it just a bit too high but the dude rides around more sporty "looking" bikes and uses brakes like a maestro.

He's a very good rider with impressive skills. I've been racing cars for a long time and even though I don't do basic open track days anymore, I've seen spec Miatas driven by pro drivers run down ham and egger's in corvettes etc at open practice/HPDE days. Often times the performance has way more to do with the person operating the machine than the machine itself. All things being equal, that rider on a GT and that same rider on a BMW 1KRR, is going to see substantially faster lap times on the RR. But the GT gets big props for being able to be a very versatile sporty machine despite its size and weight. That's one of the reasons I purchased it. Not knocking the GT, it is what it is and it's excellent at its intended purpose. But I've run a superbike on track and it's a night and day experience in terms of all out performance.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts