KTM Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
440 Posts
Wow, I did all the carbon power parts on my bike too, but didn't pay anywhere near that... I'm still not sure how you got to 10k unless you of course did the full exhaust, wheels, etc...

Agreed. Which is why I like twins. It's not a power issue on my bike. I've hammered it in first, dumped the clutch, rocked the throttle... Nothing happens, yet I could wheelie my other bikes. I've tried switching everything off. Nothing. I'm guessing there's a track pack conflict and the nannies are permanently engaged somehow.

He's a very good rider with impressive skills. I've been racing cars for a long time and even though I don't do basic open track days anymore, I've seen spec Miatas driven by pro drivers run down ham and egger's in corvettes etc at open practice/HPDE days. Often times the performance has way more to do with the person operating the machine than the machine itself. All things being equal, that rider on a GT and that same rider on a BMW 1KRR, is going to see substantially faster lap times on the RR. But the GT gets big props for being able to be a very versatile sporty machine despite its size and weight. That's one of the reasons I purchased it. Not knocking the GT, it is what it is and it's excellent at its intended purpose. But I've run a superbike on track and it's a night and day experience in terms of all out performance.
A guy in a Honda S200

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Wow, I did all the carbon power parts on my bike too, but didn't pay anywhere near that... I'm still not sure how you got to 10k unless you of course did the full exhaust, wheels, etc...

Agreed. Which is why I like twins. It's not a power issue on my bike. I've hammered it in first, dumped the clutch, rocked the throttle... Nothing happens, yet I could wheelie my other bikes. I've tried switching everything off. Nothing. I'm guessing there's a track pack conflict and the nannies are permanently engaged somehow.

He's a very good rider with impressive skills. I've been racing cars for a long time and even though I don't do basic open track days anymore, I've seen spec Miatas driven by pro drivers run down ham and egger's in corvettes etc at open practice/HPDE days. Often times the performance has way more to do with the person operating the machine than the machine itself. All things being equal, that rider on a GT and that same rider on a BMW 1KRR, is going to see substantially faster lap times on the RR. But the GT gets big props for being able to be a very versatile sporty machine despite its size and weight. That's one of the reasons I purchased it. Not knocking the GT, it is what it is and it's excellent at its intended purpose. But I've run a superbike on track and it's a night and day experience in terms of all out performance.
The carbon fiber front fender is approx. $900 USD alone! And when I say I got everything, I got the front disk lock, Power Parts trunk and mounting brackets, rear sets, track sliders, and all of the Orange anodized goodies. The Akrapovic muffler was another $1,500, and then everything had to be installed. But that turned out to be only a starting point, then came the Corbin seat, windshield, engine guards, handlebar extensions, mirror extensions, fuel dongles and O2 plugs, ESS eliminator, 16/40 sprockets with a new chain and on and on ..... I have now got 10,500 miles on it, and after figuring out the optimum tire pressures, I have about got the bike dialed in!

KTM2019SDGT.JPG

·
Registered
241 Posts
The carbon fiber front fender is approx. $900 USD alone! And when I say I got everything, I got the front disk lock, Power Parts trunk and mounting brackets, rear sets, track sliders, and all of the Orange anodized goodies. The Akrapovic muffler was another $1,500, and then everything had to be installed. But that turned out to be only a starting point, then came the Corbin seat, windshield, engine guards, handlebar extensions, mirror extensions, fuel dongles and O2 plugs, ESS eliminator, 16/40 sprockets with a new chain and on and on ..... I have now got 10,500 miles on it, and after figuring out the optimum tire pressures, I have about got the bike dialed in!

View attachment 99265
Your bike looks great and that is some awesome scenery!

Are you in the US? Something seems off with the pricing.

I bought all the factory power part carbon bits, etc as well. However, I paid significantly less. For example, the factory power part front fender is $200 here... I think I paid around a thousand for all of the factory carbon bits from this same vendor. Their pricing seems to line up with other vendors. Did you buy it from the dealer? I have no idea what MSRP actually is.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Your bike looks great and that is some awesome scenery!

Are you in the US? Something seems off with the pricing.

I bought all the factory power part carbon bits, etc as well. However, I paid significantly less. For example, the factory power part front fender is $200 here... I think I paid around a thousand for all of the factory carbon bits from this same vendor. Their pricing seems to line up with other vendors. Did you buy it from the dealer? I have no idea what MSRP actually is.

Mine is a full front fender, not the little stubby piece you bought! And an addition $800 worth of carbon fiber parts, that were not available at the time, and the front fender were not included in the $27,000.

·
Registered
22 Posts
KTM full or "complete" front fender is $300 from various vendors...

Not trying to be as *** about this, but looking to help in case there was a price mistake.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
KTM full or "complete" front fender is $300 from various vendors...

Not trying to be as *** about this, but looking to help in case there was a price mistake.

View attachment 99282
I have seen various comments on this forum about the quality of the 3rd party carbon fiber parts, some good some not so good. Mine says WETHJE right on the fender, and it is a high quality part. And two years ago, I did not see any other choices. Also the price for my rear fender/chain guard is buried in the total, but isn't it about $1,500 USD?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have seen various comments on this forum about the quality of the 3rd party carbon fiber parts, some good some not so good. Mine says WETHJE right on the fender, and it is a high quality part. And two years ago, I did not see any other choices.

The part he showed you is a factory KTM part.

The full carbon front KTM fender is also $300 from the vendor I use.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Methinks Jim got hosed :)
If you look at it that way, I think the whole damn bike is over-priced, but it is still a lot of fun to ride. And it never ceases to amaze me how in life, there is always someone out there who wants to brag about how they got a better deal than you! Time to go for a ride!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Searching for WETHJE will turn up a different factory full carbon front fender; KTM part number is 6930801000049. The "other" KTM factory full carbon front fender is part number 69308910000.

And...that WETHJE one lists for the price Jim paid.

So, mystery solved...two KTM factory parts...one very pricey and likely super quality. Both are available for purchase from some vendors. With a couple of place is seems to be a superseded part perhaps corresponding to supplier change. Who knew? Not me.

P.S. No bragging here, just trying to figure out something that didn't checksum. Enjoy your bike and bling :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Searching for WETHJE will turn up a different factory full carbon front fender; KTM part number is 6930801000049. The "other" KTM factory full carbon front fender is part number 69308910000.

And...that WETHJE one lists for the price Jim paid.

So, mystery solved...two KTM factory parts...one very pricey and likely super quality. Both are available for purchase from some vendors. With a couple of place is seems to be a superseded part perhaps corresponding to supplier change. Who knew? Not me.

P.S. No bragging here, just trying to figure out something that didn't checksum. Enjoy your bike and bling :)

View attachment 99283

Good find. But spending around 5% of the total purchase price of the bike to simply replace the front fender seems a bit much, for me anyway. I'll keep my "stubby" fender for $200 and replace it 2 more times when it gets hammered with rocks and still spend a little more than half :) To each their own though! Looks like a gorgeous piece!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Good find. But spending around 5% of the total purchase price of the bike to simply replace the front fender seems a bit much, for me anyway. I'll keep my "stubby" fender for $200 and replace it 2 more times when it gets hammered with rocks and still spend a little more than half :) To each their own though! Looks like a gorgeous piece!
With that logic, you should have bought two Jap bikes for the same price! Either way you slice it, there is good and there is better! After spending $20,000 on the bike, a few hundred dollars here and there is incidental; besides it was my retirement gift to myself, so I splurged on everything, since for all intents and purposes, this will be the last bike I buy in this life.

·
Registered
241 Posts
With that logic, you should have bought two Jap bikes for the same price! Either way you slice it, there is good and there is better! After spending $20,000 on the bike, a few hundred dollars here and there is incidental; besides it was my retirement gift to myself, so I splurged on everything, since for all intents and purposes, this will be the last bike I buy in this life.

You picked a good one. Enjoy it in good health and have fun in retirement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where are you located? Do you think you can give the dealer a call and see if this is still the situation?
Talked to my dealer over the weekend, but was not able to talk to the service guy. They were pretty non-committal about the track pack. The acknowledged that while I was able to get the track pack installed, they basically said it was because the moon and planets were aligned just so. I asked if other had been in to get it installed, and they just said that they've had a few calls about it. My guess is they are still trying to tell people "No, its not available".

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Talked to my dealer over the weekend, but was not able to talk to the service guy. They were pretty non-committal about the track pack. The acknowledged that while I was able to get the track pack installed, they basically said it was because the moon and planets were aligned just so. I asked if other had been in to get it installed, and they just said that they've had a few calls about it. My guess is they are still trying to tell people "No, its not available".
Dan thank you for getting back to me especially with the thread going way off topic I really appreciate it, I will keep you guys posted once I have the bike at the dealership for the dash update at that point I will see if the track pack can be installed.

·
Registered
Current 2019 SDGT Gone:KTM 790 Adv R, 890 Duke R
47 Posts
Recent posts sound like Track Pack may again be available for US SDGT's. I will be hounding my favorite service manager next month when I bring mine in for its first service...:)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Recent posts sound like Track Pack may again be available for US SDGT's. I will be hounding my favorite service manager next month when I bring mine in for its first service...:)
I agree. Check the thread below which also contains current info.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts