KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These bikes are great in so many ways, but the way the headlight's top screw and the tail light screws in leave them VERY susceptible to coming loose since they're threaded into cheap plastic. My machinist friend made an aluminum replacement for the headlight screw in problem, and my motorcycle tech friend solved the tail light issue. My machinist friend has a few of the headlight pieces leftover from when he made mine and is selling them for 25 each, shipped within the US. I'm also happy to share how we/he fixed the tail light. You use a dremel and smooth out the surface. You apply epoxy and then 2 elevator bolts. Let dry for 24 hours and then simply bolt back in using the original rubber grommets in their same places.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn’t know there was an issue with this.

I don’t see any pics for the front headlight.

Also what’s wrong with the rear light mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The screws for each thread into plastic. They both break very easily. The front more so from wheelies, even when landed gently, but over time... The rear light plastic threads snap very easily from simple potholes over time. I'm no stoppie kind of guy. Wheelies, yes, stoppies no. I'm too old for that stuff!!! 🤣

·
Registered
126 Posts

Yeah pretty much exactly what everyone else is doing, new taillight won't fix it either it'll just break the same way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been meaning to deal with my taillight...got to get around to it one of these days. Thanks for the excellent pics!
Sure thing. I will say, however, that I believe I overtightened the nuts when reinstalling as the bolts came unglued from the plastic. I will try again but with a more delicate approach to torque! 🤣

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonder if JB Weld would hold any better? That's what I planned to use, once I got around to it.
I redid it with less epoxy than my friend put on and am allowing it to dry inside the house as opposed to my very hot/humid garage. (Texas) I'll let it set another day so after 3 days in should be dry beyond a reasonable doubt. I'll report back...

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Wonder if JB Weld would hold any better? That's what I planned to use, once I got around to it.
I use JB Marine Weld on all plastics. I've repaired cracked fairings, broken plastic studs and now the cheesy KTM Super Duke taillight. Can't recall any failures, although when repairing cracks, some reinforcing fiberglass mat helps add some strength.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I said I'd report back, and yes, it was a success with the proper amount of gorilla glue and me not over tightening the nuts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
These bikes are great in so many ways, but the way the headlight's top screw and the tail light screws in leave them VERY susceptible to coming loose since they're threaded into cheap plastic. My machinist friend made an aluminum replacement for the headlight screw in problem, and my motorcycle tech friend solved the tail light issue. My machinist friend has a few of the headlight pieces leftover from when he made mine and is selling them for 25 each, shipped within the US. I'm also happy to share how we/he fixed the tail light. You use a dremel and smooth out the surface. You apply epoxy and then 2 elevator bolts. Let dry for 24 hours and then simply bolt back in using the original rubber grommets in their same places. View attachment 102963 View attachment 102964 View attachment 102965
Your friend have any of the head light parts he machined left I'm having the same issue. Purchased the bike with 1800 miles, first the ball end of the adjustment screw pulled, this happens if you torque the screw a bit too much but if I don't the screw would back out, remedied that by adding a few wraps of Teflon tap on the threads which worked fine. The other day I noticed the headlight was loose again this time the POS plastic support your friend fabricated split, this is a terrible design by KTM and really frustrating, I now have two tie wraps holding the headlight in place on my 18k bike.....lol. I can buy the OEM parts but obviously it will be a recurring issue. Does your friend have anymore of these on hand? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can only say that on our 2014, the tailight studs were broken at 250km and on our 2015 they were broken after riding home from the dealership (which was 120km away). Most likely both were broken at assembly plant already. Warranty claim? Dealer answer was: Oh, we couldn't believe you went so far to investigate! So, never complain, never explain...

And so I used 2K epoxy glues of different kinds, then used 30-06 shells cut (mouth and rear end) into proper measure as a reinforcement and glued them with 2K epoxy glue. They broke, not the shell material but further down, the plastic tail light material is brittle. I also considered to use rivet nuts but suddenly they began to last glued (as first aid, sort of) with flexible Sika (maybe SIkaflex 221?) 1-component polyurethane...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts