KTM Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have decided to join this illustrious band of KTM lovers. Having three Ktoomers myself I can appreciate our interest in these bikes.

I am keen rider from Australia that will travel fairly long distances for a good ride. At this stage most of my riding spans the east coast of Australia, from the Victorian High Country to the Queensland border.

As previously stated I own three Ktoomers. Still into dirt bikes, but making the transition into Adventure. My stable includes KTM200,250 EXC and a KTM640 Adventure.

I spend a lot of time filming our rides and I hope to post some of our Australian adventures on this site.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
hi edog

welcome to the site edog, we do look forward to some pics,etc. ! How's your 640 doing ? I bought a 690 SM last year, and had to have dealer handle an issue under warranty.The de-compression mechanism wasn't working properly,which in turn caused a starter to burn up,but it's all fixed now.What a cool bike to ride. Do you "dual sport " in organized events,or just tour it, on your 640 ?I've heard there's alot of interesting things to see and do there in Australia. It's on "my places to go" list...someday , maybe...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
640 is a great allrounder

I'm impressed with the 640. It's a great all rounder. Some complain about vibration after a long ride. I haven't experienced that. Good suspension, great fuel range, bullet proof engine and sits comfortably on 120 kph. I'm very happy with it.

We just tour (when wives give us a day or week pass) but we have had some great rides. I will post a few more on this site, if there is interest in them.

In terms of Adventure riding Australia is a bloody big flat place. The Great Dividing Range of mountains (you'd call them hills) runs just about the full length of the east coast. Further west, it's just about all flat.

Planning a trip next year from Sydney on the east coast, to Flinders Ranges in South Australia, then a north south crossing of the Simpson Desert followed by an East West Crossing. That will be about 5 to 6 thousand ks.
Get on google earth, look at the middle of Australia and you'll see a dirty big red patch. Take a closer look and you'll see desert dunes running north south for hundreds of kilometres. That's where I'm heading.

No room for error. Planning and backup essential. You make a mistake and you don't come back. Simple as that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sydney KTM workshops?

Hi Edog,

just joined myself. Interested to see you have a 640 which I was tempted to get but put off by the alleged vibration issue which you seem not to have a prob with. I have a 950S Adventure after a lifetime of BMWs in Europe.

Since I think you are based in Sydney would you have any hints on good workshops/mechanics? I need a full service (bought the bike 2nd hand) - been in contact with Pro-rider and the mechanic there is named Shaun I think and seems a good sort.

Let me know if you're up for a spin sometime - have you done the Wombeyan Caves to Kanangra Walls track? I've done it in a 4x4 - excellent.

cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Impressed with Procycles Hornsby

We're impressed with Procycles at Hornsby. There are a number of us with bikes that we take there. Only one problem identified following a service, that we didn't find out until too late, was an over tightened chain and over tightened back axle nut that made it nearly impossible to get off. Apart from that they have been good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to see you're enjoying your 640 Adventure. I have the dirt bike version of your bike, the 625 SXC, and am having tons of fun with it. A problem with the bike is finding parts/accessories for it. This model doesn't seem to be very common in the states. For what I know, it's very similar to the 640 Adventure with some minor differences: reduced oil capacity (no oil in the frame), no fairing, and most likely a different carb. So when I look for parts, I usually have to look under 640 Adventure as the model. Anyway, I'd like to get an adventure bike for some of the longer trips on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Procycles

We're impressed with Procycles at Hornsby. There are a number of us with bikes that we take there. Only one problem identified following a service, that we didn't find out until too late, was an over tightened chain and over tightened back axle nut that made it nearly impossible to get off. Apart from that they have been good.
I won't use them or go near them, ripped me off on the purchase of my bike, been a customer for years, new management, didn't look after me, scratched my new bike, didn't put things back properly after service, rude rude rude!!!! They don't look after their valued customers but very very happy to take your money. Hate them! Won't go near them again. I have nothing kind to say about them and won't recommend them to anyone. Feel sorry for the few good guys there in spare parts! Come back please Tom Byrnes!!!!!:mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts