KTM Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In the process of replacing my ignition lock after recovering my stolen motorcycle I noticed that the ignition lock was held by tamperproof screws that the thieves had broken off their heads.

After being able to unscrew them using a Dremel I was wondering how could i install new tamperproof screws (part #60011064000). Do i need a special screw that would fit its head? what makes these screws tamperproof? I wouldn't want to buy them and then not be able to use them to secure the new ignition lock in place.

If anyone has any experience with these tamperproof screws I would eternally thankful as I cannot find anywhere online any information about them.

Best,
Macutan

·
Registered
2016 690 Duke
92 Posts
The thief didn't break them off, that's what makes them tamperproof. They have a hex head like normal screws but when they reach the desired torque upon installation they break off so they can't be removed.

There is an alternate type of tamper proof or at least resistant screw that have a TORX socket head with a nipple in the center. They require the use of a special TORX driver.

They use this type of bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thief didn't break them off, that's what makes them tamperproof. They have a hex head like normal screws but when they reach the desired torque upon installation they break off so they can't be removed.

View attachment 110180

There is an alternate type of tamper proof or at least resistant screw that have a TORX socket head with a nipple in the center. They require the use of a special TORX driver.

View attachment 110178

They use this type of bit.

View attachment 110179

Ahh, that makes sense !! I was able to remove them. Thinking on using the same screws i remove as i don't (or hope) not to have my moto stolen again.

Thanks for your thorough response!! Much appreciated

·
Registered
2016 690 Duke
92 Posts
Ahh, that makes sense !! I was able to remove them. Thinking on using the same screws i remove as i don't (or hope) not to have my moto stolen again.

Thanks for your thorough response!! Much appreciated
You can get some replacement screws of the same size/pitch with regular hex heads or socket heads (allen or TORX) to use instead. Put some red Loctite on them for good measure and do better to keep the bike secure.

IMO, the use of tamper proof screws is a bit much since it's highly unlikely a thief is going to take the time to remove the ignition cylinder while in the act of stealing the bike. It's much faster to punch the lock than disassemble a bunch of stuff. Bottom line, if a thief wants it bad enough, they'll find a way to get it.

Reactions: macutan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts