KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first non-shaft drive bike I’ve owned, so excuse my beginner questions.

I’m trying to check the slack in the chain but when I push up on the chain, it’s upward movement is stopped by the piece I’ve highlighted in the pictures in yellow. This stops me pushing the chain up as far as I think it would go. Is this expected when measuring the slack?

Thanks again for all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have studied the Owners Manual closely to determine where to measure the chain tension and my best estimate is that you measure it from the rim of the wheel...... push the chain up as best you can ......then measure from the top of the link and note how far down the chain goes by measuring to the bottom of the link.....it needs to be around 40 -45mm
As best as I can tell, if you hit any guard or swing arm in the process, then so be it, as the measurement of the flex will determine if the chain is too tight or too loose.
I find the markings on the aligning slider blocks on each side of the axle (that indicate the position of each side) are so small that you almost need a magnifying glass to see them (anyone under 50 wouldn't have a problem). The chain adjustment process on the SAS is its weakest link (pun intended)......chain adjustment on my old SDR and Speed Triple was very easy....it is unnecessarily difficult on the SAS by comparison.
I hope this helps...........maybe other forum members can elaborate on the correct process better than me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have studied the Owners Manual closely to determine where to measure the chain tension and my best estimate is that you measure it from the rim of the wheel...... push the chain up as best you can ......then measure from the top of the link and note how far down the chain goes by measuring to the bottom of the link.....it needs to be around 40 -45mm
As best as I can tell, if you hit any guard or swing arm in the process, then so be it, as the measurement of the flex will determine if the chain is too tight or too loose.
I find the markings on the aligning slider blocks on each side of the axle (that indicate the position of each side) are so small that you almost need a magnifying glass to see them (anyone under 50 wouldn't have a problem). The chain adjustment process on the SAS is its weakest link (pun intended)......chain adjustment on my old SDR and Speed Triple was very easy....it is unnecessarily difficult on the SAS by comparison.
I hope this helps...........maybe other forum members can elaborate on the correct process better than me.
This is helpful. Thank you! Using this logic, I think I'm in spec, albeit riding the line of almost too much slack. Thanks again for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts