KTM Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,430 Posts
I'm all for it, as in racing, competition improves the breed. The chinese are far from the 3rd world manufacturing joke they once were. They seek superior technical instruction from industry leaders around the world and actually put this info to use. I closely follow the electric vehicle industry also. From this perch the advancements seen in battery chemistry is incredible, leap frogging advancements almost weekly. Each month the experts say "well this is about all that can be expected" only to have them eat their words a short time later.

Would be nicer to see an engine designed from a clean sheet of paper rather than stealing designs but that too is what they do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a 40+ year machinist, I have to concur with what you say about they're manufacturing prowess. We all had better stay friendly until we get back to up and runnin!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The copy cats. It would be a shame for Austria if they got usurped by the Chinese!
I'd still save up for the premium and buy a real KTM then give money to copycat/stolen design companies. Just China doing what China does best.

·
Super Moderator
3,086 Posts
I'd still save up for the premium and buy a real KTM then give money to copycat/stolen design companies. Just China doing what China does best.
KTM has a factory in India, already makes KTM bits in China (and the Chinese will soon have a KTM factory also) plus Brazil is not far behind. If you follow closely what KTM is today selling you will realize that corners are cut. Bring back the good old days when KTM was actually an Austrian company!

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,430 Posts
we'll never put the genie back in the bottle unfortunately, the real story is that it's far worse than most think.. 99.5 % of bicycles are built in China for decades now, batteries of every kind, all of our generic drugs like anti biotics. We found out where we get our surgical masks just recently. The USA used to be a manufacturing powerhouse but now we leave this to China and instead sell hamburgers to each other. Say all you want about that big mouth, rough talking Trump but he was the only one willing to do something about this but he had to go cuz he insulted too many gentle ears.
No this not a politics thread, just came out, I'll return to my zombie state now.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The USA used to be a manufacturing powerhouse but now we leave this to China and instead sell hamburgers to each other. Say all you want about that big mouth, rough talking Trump but he was the only one willing to do something about this but he had to go cuz he insulted too many gentle ears.
🤣 So true. He mentioned in a speech once that he wants to see the return of the ''Made in USA'' badge back on everything. Can't disagree. And with China's housing market completely imploding their products may be getting a lot more expensive soon...

Anyways, Top Gear did an episode on Chinese cars once and the overall opinion is that they're not bad, they're a little below par with European competitors in their respective segments.

Don't buy Chinese if you can help it. That country and its regime doesn't deserve financial support. Let 'em develop electrics till they turn blue in the face, and the European brands will find a way to rip the design just like they did to ours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Say all you want about that big mouth, rough talking Trump but he was the only one willing to do something about this but he had to go cuz he insulted too many gentle ears.
All whilst his daughter was setting up her chinese manufacturing plants and he was getting his tat made in china...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm all for it, as in racing, competition improves the breed. The chinese are far from the 3rd world manufacturing joke they once were. They seek superior technical instruction from industry leaders around the world and actually put this info to use. I closely follow the electric vehicle industry also. From this perch the advancements seen in battery chemistry is incredible, leap frogging advancements almost weekly. Each month the experts say "well this is about all that can be expected" only to have them eat their words a short time later.

Would be nicer to see an engine designed from a clean sheet of paper rather than stealing designs but that too is what they do.
The Chinese are nothing but a bunch of intellectual property thieves!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trying to stay apolitical…
The key is, as Spartacus suggests, the power is with the consumer. I particularly stay away from Chinese food products, but manufactured goods is really in our hands. I’d love to be able to buy more Australian-made products, and have done so recently buying an Aussie-built camper, an Aussie-built UHF radio, local (and USA-built) handtools… all at considerable price premiums over Chinese-made. Much of it is still a quality decision (materials, design, function) but the gap continues to close.
The future is in our hands… we cannot legislate against Chinese products. We need an informed public that acknowledge the myriad benefits of buying locally…. and the importance of “buying your kid a job!!”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts