KTM Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

New here just saying hi....Im hopefully picking up my 2019 350 EXC-F on the weekend, just wondering if theres any problems I need to know about or upgrades to do? I will be getting bark busters, bash plate, radiator guards and the map switch controller.....Its my first KTM, I hope I wont be let down.

Cheers Garry.

·
Super Moderator
844 Posts
Welcome to the forum @InsanE1 Lots of good content in the Off road 4 strokes side. Someone with more knowledge than me will be better able to answer your questions than me.

Keep us up to date with your progress.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Hey Garry congrats on the new bike, where are you from?

I've had my 2018 KTM EXC-F for a couple months now (bought new from dealer) and love it. Rode it every single day last week on my holidays and its an absolute beast. Destroyed my helmet on a tree, broke off a clutch lever and bent the bars on a decent crash but the bike hasn't missed a beat.

In stock form they are quite, well... boring with a lot due to making emission compliance for road legal use. If you're commuting on it then the stock sprocket is fine (I can do 130km/h) but in the tight single track you'll be stalling more or dealing with monotonous clutch work.

I'm going to start a build thread one of these days for mine but I would strongly recommend pulling the reeds from the airbox, changing out the stock muffler and adding a tuner. Adjusting TPS is old news so look into JD Tuner, Vortex or Athena GET for adding more fuel - these bikes are very lean from stock. Mine would stall out all the time and just didn't run like an XC or SX bike out of the box.

- if you go over 45mph / 70kmh the bike will shake like a freight train. You can either get another rim lock installed on the opposite side but i just bought the wheel weights from KTMandHuskey.com for $40. Problem fixed.

- stock tires are absolute trash in thick sand or mud or for traction to do wheelies. Unless you're on hard packed gravel or dirt, concrete or just want to take it easy then the stock tires need to go. I've ordered a set of Michelin Starcross for the front and rear but waiting to burn this stock dual sport POS off a bit more as I cannot progress anymore with it on.

- Oil changes every 10-15 hours is a must as well as changing air filter every other ride. I keep a backup of air filters ready to go just in case and use varsol to clean and dealer oil to re-oil. Spending $12,000 on a bike there should be no issues spending $20 in oil and a $15 filter when needed.

- Stock seat is garbage unless you don't mind sitting on an ironing board. I went with the Acerbis X-seat - it has 3 levels of grip depending which riding position you are doing. Its awesome but as it states "SOFT" my *** still hurts after a few hours on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Trav and Pete, thanks for the welcome and congratz…..I'm in Australia, New South Wales so maybe the emissions stuff will be different? not sure....I'll be doing more single/open trails than road riding will see how the front sprocket goes I can easily buy a different one and put it on.

As for the tuner, is power commander 5(PCV) a good one if they make one for this bike? Wont order one straight away as I want to find out how it goes from stock first, I can pull the reeds from the airbox but the exhaust will have to wait for another day ATM.

With the rim locks, again ill see how much it "shakes" before I buy those.

The tyres in your pic are different to the ones on my bike....mine look like they would be good in the sand/dirt, ill post a few pics when I pick it up!

Oil changes I do every 10 hours on all my bikes anyway.....something ive always done...and I'll have to order another air filter for a spare.

Finally the seat, i'll have to see how that goes as mine doesn't look to bad but you never know what might happen!

Thanks, Garry

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
No prob and this was just to my taste out on the other side of the pond so by no means necessary - the bikes are fantastic out of the box!

I run the Powercommander on the Duke but don't believe they make one for our dirt units. JD Tuning, Vortex and Athena GET will be your go-to's. Again - not imperative until you start messing around with air flow, exhaust, etc.

Seat Concepts makes a lovely plush seat but is not waterproof and quite a bit more - if you're happy with the stock seat than keep it.

Great to hear you'll have more knobby style tires on it.

Post pics when you get it.... and have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a few pics of the bike....the tyres are maxxis MaxxEndupro front and rear....had it for a day but havnt ridden it yet....cant wait!

Bike 1.jpg Bike 2.jpg Bike 3.jpg Bike 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
She's fresh! Congrats on delivery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
IDTrav
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing