KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Looking for some help as I am new to KTM.
Just fitted SW Motech crash-bars and had to disconnect hose pipe from the coolant bottle. Have refilled the empty compensation bottle and gone for a ride and the engine just overheated. Do I need to top up the radiator? If so, where do I find this? Have used coolant as per manual

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Did you disconnect the large black hose on the right side of the bike?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did and then refilled the compensation tank. When I did this, very little coolant was needed against what came out. Just do no know what I should have done as can’t find anything in the owners book. Regretfully I am not very mechanically minded so any help would be great

·
Registered
403 Posts
Okay, that's the lower radiator hose If you disconnected that you need to refill the radiator it's now empty. The radiator cap is on the upper right side of the radiator if you're sitting on the bike. Open that and add coolant.
On my SDR there is a procedure for adding coolant to properly bleed the system. I'm not sure if it's the same for the GT but it involves raising the front wheel about 20" adding coolant and opening the bleeders. You might be able to get away with just adding coolant, and burp the system with the cap off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Okay, that's the lower radiator hose If you disconnected that you need to refill the radiator it's now empty. The radiator cap is on the upper right side of the radiator if you're sitting on the bike. Open that and add coolant.
On my SDR there is a procedure for adding coolant to properly bleed the system. I'm not sure if it's the same for the GT but it involves raising the front wheel about 20" adding coolant and opening the bleeders. You might be able to get away with just adding coolant, and burp the system with the cap off.

Same procedure on the SDGT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 1290 Superduke GT.
80 Posts
Hello Buzzard man,Nice to see somebody else on here from the UK,does your username mean you are from leighton buzzard,if so i am only 30 miles away and maybe we could meet at a cafe on a sunday in the future.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Same arcane drill as the others; Front axle must be 20" higher than the rear and there's a bleed screw on the side of each cylinder that must run fluid with no bubbles. Top off the rad, drop it down level again and top off the overflow tank.

I just added a squirt to the overflow tank today after doing the bleed-and-fill about a month ago. No overheating.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a helper and a floor jack, a lil sketchy but it got the job done.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Whatever it takes to get that 20" static wheelie. I was gonna ramp mine up onto the workstand I made, but I couldn't figure out how to secure it halfway up. The skyhook and comealong worked great with a couple of soft ties around the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Thanks for this. Thought it was the case but needed to ask. This is my job on Sunday.
Note: Once you remove the side cover, the coolant tank is easy to fill, but the radiator cap itself is not so easy to remove. Unless you have extremely small fingers, I think you need a long set of needle nose pliers that you can reach down and unscrew it from the top. See page 291 in the owners manual, the radiator cap is right behind the coolant reservoir tank. I think the GT spacing might be a little tighter than the R model, since the fuel tank is bigger.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
:D....... errrmmm, Buzzard man, keep in mind these guys (above) are very highly experienced doing their own maintenance....... and you sound a bit not so experienced - so be bloody careful not to drop your lovely bike on your good self hey ;).

As LTJ said, maybe you can get to the filler cap by just removing the side cover (read the manual for how to, it's a little tricky so don't break any plastic bits....... in fact it's a :censored:'ing fiddle..... and pulling the tank off is bloody hard for a 1st timer - study the procedure listed on the forum)...... and have a look at the 'Workshop Repair Manual' in the Treasure Chest of useful links thread at the top of the Super Duke forum, for more detail than the owners manual.

Hopefully all you need do is unscrew the rad cap and use a funnel to top the tank up + squeeze and burp every hose you can grab, while running the bike with the rad cap left off - to get air out while it circulates. Then a few rides with top up to the 'compensation' bottle should get the rest out - my GT was serviced last October and the mechanic told me he had done the 20" wheelstand and even left it overnight and did the bleeding again the next morning, but there was still air trapped inside, which he told me to keep an eye on over the next 600miles....... and to top it up once it settled. Which I did.

I have no way of safely working on my GT at a 20" wheelstand angle so I wouldn't be attempting any coolant changes by myself without a rotating center lift stand or ceiling hoist.

Oh, make sure you don't mix different colour coolant together...... we have Motorex Red in our SDGT's...... it looks pink in the catch tank (y)

PS I fitted crash bars to my GT and all I needed to do was push that coolant hose out of the way to get the mounting screws in....... you're the first I've read about needing to drop the coolant just for crash bars...... :unsure:, but my bars are different so maybe I had more room to work with than your SWM cage..........

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to thank you all for this. Took the chicken route out and combined it with its yearly service so am getting main dealer to do as this is way beyond my talent and confidence. Take care all and really appreciate your support

1 - 13 of 13 Posts