KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2109 KTM 300 XCW
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on tires. I have a long ride my son and I are taking this summer. It's called the Tour of Idaho. It's 10 days, approximately 2000 miles, completely self supported, about 80 percent single track/50 inch. 20 percent logging road with a small amount of pavement. It is possible to change tires at the half way point. We are considering going with a Mousse (neither of us has used before) and trying to make the entire tour on one tire, in order to take the possibility of flats out of the mix. Last year, there was a finisher who did just this. He rode a Dunlop 606. His comment was that it really wasn't great at anything, except that it lasted. His partner ran a Maxxis IT, and his was cooked at the halfway point. He changed out his rear, however, he has years of Mousse experience.

We have been looking at some Dual Sport Tires, among many others. We realize we won't find a "great" tire for everything. Any suggestions for a "good" dirt tire capable of around 2000 miles on a bib? By the way, way are both riding 2 stroke 300's. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Looking for some advice on tires. I have a long ride my son and I are taking this summer. It's called the Tour of Idaho. It's 10 days, approximately 2000 miles, completely self supported, about 80 percent single track/50 inch. 20 percent logging road with a small amount of pavement. It is possible to change tires at the half way point. We are considering going with a Mousse (neither of us has used before) and trying to make the entire tour on one tire, in order to take the possibility of flats out of the mix. Last year, there was a finisher who did just this. He rode a Dunlop 606. His comment was that it really wasn't great at anything, except that it lasted. His partner ran a Maxxis IT, and his was cooked at the halfway point. He changed out his rear, however, he has years of Mousse experience.

We have been looking at some Dual Sport Tires, among many others. We realize we won't find a "great" tire for everything. Any suggestions for a "good" dirt tire capable of around 2000 miles on a bib? By the way, way are both riding 2 stroke 300's. Thanks in advance!
You need a harder tire than normally. Check out the MOTOZ tires. We use their MX tires and they last well. MOTOZ also has a range of other tires.

·
Registered
2109 KTM 300 XCW
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a harder tire than normally. Check out the MOTOZ tires. We use their MX tires and they last well. MOTOZ also has a range of other tires.
Thanks for the reply. We actually just started looking into MOTOZ. I was kind of leaning towards the Tractionator Enduro ST. Any thoughts on that one?

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We actually just started looking into MOTOZ. I was kind of leaning towards the Tractionator Enduro ST. Any thoughts on that one?
Sorry, we have only used the MX ones. but are very happy with them!

Reactions: Eastforku

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used a single green stripe Mitas 754 last July at the 6 days of Michigan, 650 miles of a mix of single track trail, dual sport dirt roads and pavement, worked great everywhere, with looking a 2000 miles I would look at some of Mitas red stripe tires, check out what they have, a little expensive but long lasting tires. I ran Golden fatty on the front, still running that tire.

·
Registered
2109 KTM 300 XCW
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a single green stripe Mitas 754 last July at the 6 days of Michigan, 650 miles of a mix of single track trail, dual sport dirt roads and pavement, worked great everywhere, with looking a 2000 miles I would look at some of Mitas red stripe tires, check out what they have, a little expensive but long lasting tires. I ran Golden fatty on the front, still running that tire.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check into that one as well!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts