KTM Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
past 30 years had all kinds of high powered metrics and a few big ci harley motors....my riding is 50 miles a night usually...good for 10.000 miles a year.....questions are....can the 690 stay at highway speeds say at 80 mph for hours and not feel like its being over worked.....how long do the motors last before a rebuild ... will be used for only street riding 1/2 highway 1/2 city....thanks ..Sal

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what do all you pussys just ride the back roads or what ..make believe your draging knees around turns...its a simple question...or just matbe the highway is to scary for ya .... its all you see on this forum is zero replys in 90 percent of the threads...what a joke

·
Registered
36 Posts
Holy smokes, you do get a little heated.

I have an SD990. It is an extremely confidence inspiring ride. Very comfortable around town and on the highway. It does beg to travel way over the limits out on the highways unfortunately. I'm thinking about gaining a tooth on the rear, but don't want to lose range (~250km factory).

Cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're looking for something to cruise on the interstate at 80 for exteded periods of time I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the 690 duke. This thing was made for shredding backroads and occasional interstate use. I don't mind cruising the interstate once in a while for extended amounts of time but there's no way I'd want to do it day in and day out.

can the 690 stay at highway speeds say at 80 mph for hours and not feel like its being over worked.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're looking for something to cruise on the interstate at 80 for exteded periods of time I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the 690 duke. This thing was made for shredding backroads and occasional interstate use. I don't mind cruising the interstate once in a while for extended amounts of time but there's no way I'd want to do it day in and day out.
thanks cb for info..dont hit the highway for extended periods much,,,but once in a while may take 200 mile round trip so need something that can handle highway speeds......good info thanks again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
versys is an interesting maching used for touring strong highway speeds..strong low mid punch and handles like a sport bike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Highways

The Duke is plenty strong enough for highway speeds. It just isn't very comfortable sitting bolt upright with an 80 mph wind in your face. I don't personally recommend it for highway riding, but it is awesome on the back roads. It is so light, flickable and turns and stops like nothing I've ever ridden.

If you want a sport bike that is great for the interstate, get a VFR. I had one for 6 years. Comfortable, handles good, fast and sounds like a small block Chevy.:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lighten up

what do all you pussys just ride the back roads or what ..make believe your draging knees around turns...its a simple question...or just matbe the highway is to scary for ya .... its all you see on this forum is zero replys in 90 percent of the threads...what a joke
What's so scary about the highway, just point the bike straight and nail it.

Agreed the traffic on this site is a little light, but it is winter. I've been too busy snow blowing my driveway to think about motorcycles or visit this site.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's so scary about the highway, just point the bike straight and nail it.

Agreed the traffic on this site is a little light, but it is winter. I've been too busy snow blowing my driveway to think about motorcycles or visit this site.
bri690 thanks for the reply since the start of the thread i bought a new 07 919 msrp was 85 got it for 7 still in storage...been doing some snow blowing myself...i enjoy anything with a motor

·
Registered
57 Posts
919 Suspension

Well, it only took me 31 months to reply. I had a 919 that I thought I was going to love. Found the suspension weak and it pogo'd all over the place while leaing in curves. That wasn't very confidence inspiring. I now drive a Tiger 1050. It's been great, but from my perspective, want something a whole lot lighter. Am I crazy to be thinking about a 690 Duke?

·
Registered
1 Posts
.....It's been great, but from my perspective, want something a whole lot lighter. Am I crazy to be thinking about a 690 Duke?
Here I am, another couple of months later too....first to the OP question, even if a bit late: a Duke 690 can be driven all day long at 80 mph. At that speed you're barely over 5000 rpm. It's more the question if your rear and yourself will.

@ Clay: I own a Duke 690 R and the only thing the KTM falls short is stop and go in the City. Also, if you want to travel two up there are better bikes. For everything else I can recommend it. Great fun, light weight, fantastic brakes, great suspension, powerful engine, low fuel consumption etc..
I've bought the KTM Touring Screen for longer trips. It takes away a great deal of wind pressure compared to the tiny stock item. I've done 600 miles/day and was less fatigue than with some "touring" bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Duke III has enough power for highway speeds, stable (not planted) up to top speed.:) You can average 80 mph no problem and still have enough juice to speed up when you want to.

But everytime I have to go on the 4 lane straight motorway I hate myself for squaring off that rear tire :mad:

2 up riding can be done but only for short trips to the local ice parlour or a quick errand. Long distance travelling is not what they had in mind when KTM designed this bike. It's a big toy for big boys (and tough girls) that just want to have a blast through the narrow twisties.:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
But everytime I have to go on the 4 lane straight motorway I hate myself for squaring off that rear tire :mad:
A bit OT, but are you saying that continous cruising wears the tires significantly? What about either hard breaking or accelerations? Wonder actually which of these are rubbing of the rubber most?

·
Registered
138 Posts
A bit OT, but are you saying that continous cruising wears the tires significantly? What about either hard breaking or accelerations? Wonder actually which of these are rubbing of the rubber most?

I have a solution for this .. in case you didnt notice my posting on BT023 ...

NT023 should able to give you the kick of BT016r and last for 6k-7k miles

·
Registered
452 Posts
Are you kidding, Anz? I've been killing rear tires at under 3000 miles. Stock tire got 1800, Shinko 005 Advance got 2200, Conti Road Attack got nearly 3k. I just mounted a Pilot Road 3 hoping to get at least 4k and still have some semblance of road stickiness.

I guess the strong, widely spaced power pulses of this bike kill rear tires. My 130 hp, 500 lb. ZRX1200 gets better rear tire mileage on the same roads. The fronts last well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Are you kidding, Anz? I've been killing rear tires at under 3000 miles. Stock tire got 1800, Shinko 005 Advance got 2200, Conti Road Attack got nearly 3k. I just mounted a Pilot Road 3 hoping to get at least 4k and still have some semblance of road stickiness.

I guess the strong, widely spaced power pulses of this bike kill rear tires. My 130 hp, 500 lb. ZRX1200 gets better rear tire mileage on the same roads. The fronts last well.
my ex z750 can on BT016 can last for 3k miles without any problem but the duke III with less HP only last for 2.5k miles on BT016 .. I think it was due to 1 piston with high torque .

trust me ! go for BT-023 ! it feel like BT016 but it will last as BT021 :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts