KTM Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a deposit down on a new 890r when the dealer close to me finally gets one in but I'm starting to have second thoughts on its reliability and was hoping you all might be able to provide some real-world experiences with it. I've had a lot of European bikes so I'm pretty used to them having some reliability "foibles" (Guzzi Griso, Tuono, Diavel.) But the 890's seem a bit more extreme than what I'm used to.

Currently, my daily is an MT-10 which is dead reliable and a lot of fun, but I'm hankering for something lighter and not as bulky, hence the deposit on the 890R. That being said, I ride my bikes year-round and put a ton of miles on them and after reading these forums and talking to a couple of KTM owners I'm starting to rethink my choice of the 890, I want a bike that I can spend my time riding not waiting on it to be fixed at a dealership. I've heard nothing but good things about the performance and handling of KTM but equally opposite things about the reliability. My best friend rides a 1290GT that has been guzzling oil since he bought it brand new and has had 6 dealership repair visits in the last year and it still isn't fixed. One of my track day coaches rides an 890r and loves it but said I need to make sure I'm good friends with the dealer because I'll be spending a fair amount of time in their waiting room hoping they agree to fix it.

So with all that said. What's your honest opinion on the 890R's reliability? How have your experiences with it been? I realize I'm asking on a KTM forum so not exactly an unbiased source but still looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R, 2009 R1
65 Posts
Mine has the leaky seal that is scheduled to be fixed under warranty - likely sometime next month. The bike is still totally usable. This is my first KTM and I've done close to 5,000 miles since I picked it up this past summer. They do come with decent warranties (two years, if I recall), and I have an extended one on top of that. My dealer seems to be honest from the years I've bought stuff from them and had tires changed etc. This is the first bike I've bought from them and they've been up front and honest with me so far.
I would say buying just about any bike from a dealer that sucks can result in pain. My R1 needed a cam chain tensioner replacement early on and that dealer dragged their feet about it. WTF? Just do it. Yamaha pays for the whole job.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine has been flawless other than a turnsignal that came loose mid-stalk and was never hit or bumped. I just glued it back together. No leaky seals or any other mechanical issues. I have 11 other bikes in the garage and when I want to go out and have fun, it is one that I pick 90% of the time. It isn't the fastest or quickest bike in my fleet, but it always puts a smile on my face. It has about the right amount of power for most of my riding.

The only place I ever want more, would be in excess of 120 mph and I am not there often enough to matter. Maybe I am just spoiled by my faster bikes for acceleration at very high speeds, but they can't compare to how nimble the 890R feels. I can spend a couple hours in the saddle with the stock seat and still feel pretty good. So overall I really love the bike's performance and great fuel mileage is just icing on the cake.

I ride year round as well. Even in pretty hot and humid Florida days, the bike never missed a beat and didn't dump a ton of hot air on my like some of my other bikes do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the leaky counter shaft seal on mine. Dealer replaced it with the updated part and it has been bone dry for the last 2000 miles. That's the only issue I've had with the bike. I also have a 2014 KTM 1190 Adv with about 30K miles on it and no problems whatsoever in the 6+ years I've owned it. Maybe not quite as reliable as Yamaha but I wouldn't shy away from KTM if you really want one. That being said, as awesome as the 890R is in the backroads and twistys, I couldn't have one as my only bike. It's a pretty focused roadster.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my Australian 890r for five days and it just pissed it's party dress. Straight to the dealer and haven't found out much yet , doesn't look good though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is...no, there was a problem in some engines regarding on one lubricant seal...some bad lucky units.
From what I know (I talked with a KTM dealer) the problem has been discovered and solved rather soon...
The reliability is not similar to Jap bikes...but we consider KTM just because is not similar to a Jap bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine looks like a full rebuild, a new motor, or new bike. Dealer is looking after me well so should get a new bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hit or miss. I haven't had any CSS leaks with either my 790 or 890, but my Thermostat stuck at 100 miles on the 890R and it overheated. Replaced thermostat under warranty and no issues since.. Close to 2000 miles on it now. I was one of the very first in the US. Has full exhaust and AKRA map.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ktm are supplying me with a new bike after mine let me down. Dealer and Ktm have been great. This sort of support will keep me buying Ktm and using the dealer because I know they have my back !

·
Registered
2020 890 Duke R
9 Posts
I have had my 890 for almost six months and at about 2500 kms, have had no issues at all. It has been ridden with zest in hot and cold temperatures. No CSS leak. My favorite bike of all time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts