KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what everyone got their 790 R for. Gives me an idea before I pull the trigger on one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cruise control (CC) wasn’t available when I bought my 790R and came in a couple months later. I put down $1k in Jan 2019 and got the 1st bike delivered (later than promised) to my dealer in Jun 2019. Late because DOT rules (outdated) didn’t like the Euro LED blinkers. Paid list price $13,499 plus TTL. CC was $85 for the switch and $229 to activate. Orange kickstand base, $15. My R/G windscreen and GPS mount was about $250 delivered, and my trunk (Underarmor cooler) was $35. K60 scout tires were $94 front and $184 rear (Karoo 3 rear lasted 6.7k and front 11.3k). Oh, and orange reflector tape on the wheels for bling and added visibility at night. I didn’t pay for QS, but it works fine; I just can’t turn it off. Rode 50 miles today, some dirt but mostly back roads. Still puts a smile on my face and worth every penny. I think the 790R is a bargain for what you get. 56 mpg ave today, cheap fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The local store has it for $13699...if I can get it less that would be good..if not...and they can get it out the door for $14000...I may can do it if I get the 0% interest or very low interest rate. Don't want a very high monthly payment like a new vehicle. I was waiting for the Bronco but I miss my KLR and I already have two vehicles (Bronco and F250).

56 MPG is way better than what my old KLR could get!

I honestly am hesitant on buying a bike that cost this much but then I see Harleys are 20k plus and people buying those side by sides for 20k!

·
Registered
109 Posts
2020 MSRP is $13,699, so the 790R only went up $200 from last year. Expect to pay that plus TTL. Some dealers charge assembly and freight charges that you may be able to negotiate out of paying, but I wouldn’t expect to pay less than MSRP for a 790R. I have heard of the S model selling for less, and heard of some good deals on the 1090. Compared to BMW, Triumph, and the new Yam T7, the 790R is in a different league.

56 MPG is even better than my DRZ 400, but the KTM gets premium and the DRZ doesn’t care (but it has boiled gas recently and vapor locked until it cooled).

I wouldn’t hesitate too long if you want a 790R, my dealer can’t keep them on the floor. The S models don’t sell as fast and 1090s sit for a while and can be negotiated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 790 specs call for Premium (91 US), mine has only seen 91-93. I considered the Husky 701 (before the 790R was released), it has a KTM 690 engine and has different settings for running low octane fuel. I am very pleased with the 790’s power, it is extremely fast going from stopped to 100 mph with Rally throttle, Quickshift, and traction control. And even 2-up has ample power for passing at highway speeds. I can’t fathom what a 1290 is like; I’d probably kill myself if I had that beast. Bet they don’t get 56 MPG.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think mine was $14.8k out the door, then added my CC later. See if you can get a deal on whatever KTM extras you want. Quickshift, heated grips, heated seat, alarm, etc. I highly recommend CC even though it kicks off over big bumps, your right wrist will be glad you have it on long trips and it may prevent a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to wait. Going to pay off my other debts and hopefully my credit score will go up.

·
Premium Member
2020 790 R
38 Posts
Just seeing what everyone got their 790 R for. Gives me an idea before I pull the trigger on one.
Paid
I paid way too much for mine around 16K but wanted the bike and didn’t haggle. They only had a couple in in LA and traded in the 2019 S model with 600 miles on it. Took the hit. 😩 but at least I have it and am setting it up now. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
2020 790 R
38 Posts
Paid

I paid way too much for mine around 16K but wanted the bike and didn’t haggle. They only had a couple in in LA and traded in the 2019 S model with 600 miles on it. Took the hit. 😩 but at least I have it and am setting it up now. Oh well.
I’ve been looking for a tailbag, want something expandable and easy to get into but not too tall like maybe 2” to 6” max, I purchased and installed a Motortek tail extenter bracket. Not sure why I’m having a problem finding a nice off road bad for tools etc.. thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The local store has it for $13699...if I can get it less that would be good..if not...and they can get it out the door for $14000...I may can do it if I get the 0% interest or very low interest rate. Don't want a very high monthly payment like a new vehicle. I was waiting for the Bronco but I miss my KLR and I already have two vehicles (Bronco and F250).

56 MPG is way better than what my old KLR could get!

I honestly am hesitant on buying a bike that cost this much but then I see Harleys are 20k plus and people buying those side by sides for 20k!
Are these Cali prices? We get pretty hard balled out here for MSRP. I just got that 0% deal and 4 month deferred payments. The salesman said if your credit is over 750 and you have low debt you should be good to go. I think have about $220k in debt between my house and truck, so take it for what it’s worth. I did manage to get a pretty hot deal on an SDR though. Gotta buy last years model!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are these Cali prices? We get pretty hard balled out here for MSRP. I just got that 0% deal and 4 month deferred payments. The salesman said if your credit is over 750 and you have low debt you should be good to go. I think have about $220k in debt between my house and truck, so take it for what it’s worth. I did manage to get a pretty hot deal on an SDR though. Gotta buy last years model!
GA. I just paid off some significant debt today.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats man. Must feel pretty good. Oh GA? Def don’t let them take you for full price then. I’d call the largest KTM dealer you can fund and see if you can get a quote you can use as leverage with your local shop. I did that with my RZR, ended up settling for about 3.5k less than what they were trying to bend me over for originally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats man. Must feel pretty good. Oh GA? Def don’t let them take you for full price then. I’d call the largest KTM dealer you can fund and see if you can get a quote you can use as leverage with your local shop. I did that with my RZR, ended up settling for about 3.5k less than what they were trying to bend me over for originally.
Yeah, I kind of am hesitant about it. Pretty high price for a motorcycle. Hopefully by the time I save up again the price may drop and I can get more prices. I figured they may negotiate more since sales have been down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That’s what thought too, but in reality I think I read that sales have been up believe it or not. Due to the zero percent financing, low mortgage rates, and lots of other deals manufacturers are pushing right now I believe they are selling out quick. And unfortunately the factories shutting down while try to formulate a health safety plan put them way behind on production, which means they have increased demand and decreased supply, and you know what that means... good luck brother, waiting it out will probably be your best bet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had never bought a new bike before my 790R. Main reason: I didn't want to wait 3 years for used ones to show up.

And I'm glad I did because anyone who sells this bike either made a mistake buying it in the first place or used it for its intended purpose which means it got used. I love this bike (pending a possible later post about electronic systems) and am very happy I bought it. Covid has put a bit of a damper on my trips but I'm heading out in a week and have more planned in the Fall.

What did I pay? MSRP and taxes, etc. Then I added stuff at list but the point is MSRP. If you don't want to pay that then don't and get a 690 or something else. But the few bucks you save...I don't know what you get for that if the bike is not as great. ;-)

< david

PS: the photo is me this spring in the Sierra Nevada (can't see my smile, alas)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
The 790 specs call for Premium (91 US), mine has only seen 91-93. I considered the Husky 701 (before the 790R was released), it has a KTM 690 engine and has different settings for running low octane fuel. I am very pleased with the 790’s power, it is extremely fast going from stopped to 100 mph with Rally throttle, Quickshift, and traction control. And even 2-up has ample power for passing at highway speeds. I can’t fathom what a 1290 is like; I’d probably kill myself if I had that beast. Bet they don’t get 56 MPG.
Not 56 MPG, but I do get 45 MPG on my 2019 SDGT, and while it can be tame, it can also be a BEAST! Besides it is smiles per mile, not miles per gallon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts