KTM Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Editorial Content
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Why would anyone want to change their own tires? Isn’t it hard work that usually involves at least one bleeding knuckle? Don’t the tools cost a small fortune when you consider that shops only charge about 25 bucks for the service? Well, some riders don’t live within a few miles of a bike shop. And some folks, well, they’ve always got to do things themselves.

The good news is that, overworked sweat glands aside, changing tires is relatively easy – once you have the right tools. All you really need is a bead breaker, a set of tire irons, some dish soap, and a tire balancing stand.

Begin with your bike on front and rear stands. Once you’ve removed a wheel, unscrew the valve core with a valve stem tool. After the tire has finished its lengthy sigh, place your wheel on an old tire or other work surface. Whatever support you use, you want to make sure the wheel is not resting on a brake disc while you’re working on the bead. Discs bend all too easily and are quite expensive.
Read more about How To Change Motorcycle Tires at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I use a diegrinder with a cut off wheel to remove tire so u don't booger wheel rim upon removing,then I use rim protectors to install tire and lots of soap suds,biggest problem is seating the bead,u have to be careful not to overinflate tire!

·
Dirt Wizard
4,564 Posts
I pay the bike shop $10 to change it. A lot the time they do it for nothing if you buy the tyre from them.
The amount of tubes I have pinched and fingers and scratched rims. Takes them 5 minutes while you drink a coke and wait.

·
Registered
25 Posts
By the time i drove to a bike shop to let someone do it i would have them changed..
Like many jobs there is a procedure to follow a few tools to make it somewhat easy and you should never pinch a tube doing it, scratch a rim or skin your knuckles...i just installed rim locks on my new 500 excf(some reason they come in a bag and not installed , I'm 65 and did break a sweat but both done and mounted in a hour + and most importantly i know all was done correctly...
Joe

·
Super Moderator
2,491 Posts
We race MX and change rear tyres on the racing bikes about every 2'nd race meeting. Today with Covid causing events to be cancelled we only do tyres approx once in 2 months. But there was a time we raced every w/e, sometimes Sat and Sun. If I had not changed the tyres myself (as we get them straight from the importer) I would have been in to the bike shop to have them replaced weekly. So by doing it myself saved quite a good amount of money! But it is not that tricky really. A couple tyre leavers, some soapy warm water, a little elbow grease, a compressor with a gauge and it is done in approx 30 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts