KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A resent posting with the question what bike a owner had, based on his VIN number, reminded me that I had for some time planned to write an explanation regarding how you can decipher the 17 letters/numbers that make up a KTM VIN#.

I have added what I put together here as a file of 3 separate pages.

The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is now a world standard and found on all vehicles. But each manufacturer has a few differencies re how they add their info in to the number. Therefore you should only use what I have here penned to decipher a KTM VIN#.

Feel free to comment, correct or ask questions and I will try to answer. (Keep in mind that I am not an employee of a KTM outfit. My KTM knowledge comes solely from 11 years of using only KTM bikes for my son's racing. I function as his main sponsor, mechanic, driver, pit crew and more.)

NOTE: To be able to see the three documents in a readable size just click on one of them and then click again.

Also note that I have used information that is freely available on the net, combined info from a few sources and added some of my own knowledge/what I have learnt. If someone feels that by doing this I have used information they have provided I am happy to give them credit for it. But what you see here is written by me for the sole purpose of helping KTM owners and there is no financial gain for me from this.

Feel free to copy/distribute/give away what I have here produced without asking me for acceptance or giving me any credit. (If this info helped you and you meet me at some place feel free to offer me a beer...)

NOTE! I have upgraded the attached documents to include more info,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info!

I have edited the attached documents in the original post to include more info.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A resent posting from a new member that has purchased a bike believing it was a different year to what it actually is reminded me of this: The 10'th number in the VIN# is the model year, NOT the year of manufacture. KTM starts producing their new models in the year before and sell them from approx August the year before the model year (so you can buy the first examples of the 2020 model in approx August 2019). The only way to figure out what year your bike was manufactured is by checking the little "clock" that you find on the motor casing. On the 125sx it is found around the gear lever, but I have no idea where it is on other motors. But even then it becomes a little of a guessing game as this identification only tells us when the casings were made, not when the motor was assembled...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After giving advice to a member with a 1992 KTM bike I learned that KTM still used their own frame numbering system (and not the world standard VIN#) in 1992. I had been told they finished using it in 1989. But obviously not! I will at some stage make the changes to page 3. This only means that if you have a 1992 or older KTM your number will start with the year being the first two numbers followed by the month being number 3 and 4 and there being no VIN# (9202-xxxxxx being manufactured in February 1992). Then again... there is always a chance that KTM carried on using the old system for bikes that had not changed since 1987, but any new models that were introduced from late 1987 all got a VIN#...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts