KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I really need someone’s help with identifying the year and model of my 1980s ktm. Using the vin number I think it’s a 1989, but I don’t know what model and I’m not even for sure on the year. I only need to know this information so I can be sure to buy the correct parts to get it back to ripen. The vin is KTM890162615

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Welcome to forum. Your bike was assembled January 1989. To be able to determine what model it is please provide pictures of the bike.

Reactions: ABN2nds

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
@DW @bajadog We have established that this bike (see pics above) is a 1989. But what model is it??

·
Dirt Wizard
4,179 Posts
@Rangerman is this best for these old girls.
Chains on the wrong side, so definitely pre 90's. Those numbers are weird, I am not familiar with them. Most I know start with vbk...
Had one of these stabs in the dark the other day. Not sure of capacity, but I'll take a stab and say it's a 1989 250 GS

Reactions: Axzon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Rangerman is this best for these old girls.
Chains on the wrong side, so definitely pre 90's. Those numbers are weird, I am not familiar with them. Most I know start with vbk...
Had one of these stabs in the dark the other day. Not sure of capacity, but I'll take a stab and say it's a 1989 250 GS
Thank you both for looking at this. If it is a GS. What is the difference between that and a MX?

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Re size: There should be a stamp/marking on the cylinder that tells you the cc. If not, then the best option is to measure bore/piston and compare to pistons in parts listings that state the size of the piston. And sorry, I have no idea about the difference between the GS and MX.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Is that the same bike after a decent tidy-up, or is it a different bike, but one that looks like yours?

·
Dirt Wizard
4,179 Posts
Mx has no headlight or tail light ect. Same as comparing today's sx to exc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mx has no headlight or tail light ect. Same as comparing today's sx to exc.
Are the cylinders and engine parts going to be the same with both models ? Mx and gs? It’s much easier to find the Mx parts.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,179 Posts
Are the cylinders and engine parts going to be the same with both models ? Mx and gs? It’s much easier to find the Mx parts.
More than what I can tell ya sorry.
There would be a lot of similarities, but knowing what parts are different is beyond me.
I don't have parts listings pre 1994.
Probably flywheel and stator would be different. If it's running the old sems ignition you would probably want to p-ss that off anyway.
There's a possibility it is an mx with a gs rear guard. How many wires coming out of the stator? Does it have wiring for headlight and tail light ect?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More than what I can tell ya sorry.
There would be a lot of similarities, but knowing what parts are different is beyond me.
I don't have parts listings pre 1994.
Probably flywheel and stator would be different. If it's running the old sems ignition you would probably want to p-ss that off anyway.
There's a possibility it is an mx with a gs rear guard. How many wires coming out of the stator? Does it have wiring for headlight and tail light ect?
It does have wiring for a head light. And there is a tail light. I can take pictures of all the wiring when I am home if that would give you a better idea.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
That would make her a GS as the MX bikes do not have the light wiring included. Then again... who knows if that is the original stator?

·
Registered
185 Posts
May be others know better, but the web site I picked the picture from said it was a 250 E/XC. The two models listed in a vintage KTM website says they are 250 MX and 250 E/XC. If you have original headlight wiring it would be the E/XC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
May be others know better, but the web site I picked the picture from said it was a 250 E/XC. The two models listed in a vintage KTM website says they are 250 MX and 250 E/XC. If you have original headlight wiring it would be the E/XC.
Gotcha, I’m starting to think the writing isn’t original because I ordered a parts manual for mx and enduros, and the part numbers don’t match up. I was hoping the Parts manual would help me clarify what bike It is for sure and im still yet to be sure on the model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotcha, I’m starting to think the writing isn’t original because I ordered a parts manual for mx and enduros, and the part numbers don’t match up. I was hoping the Parts manual would help me clarify what bike It is for sure and im still yet to be sure on the model.
Wiring* not writing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts