KTM Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help.
A week ago while out riding, I stopped to have a coffee & noticed engine oil was a bit low, looking at the small round window inspection.
My dealer is a three hour ride. I was close to my home, so when I got home I contacted the dealer, to see what oil as they did the last service. He said Motorex same as manual states & can not mix with other oils ( to top up ). So as luck would have it a small Motor Cycle shop near home stocked the same Motorex oil ( think its a 4lt container.
so I warmed motor to operating temp checked inspection window, was low. topped up with the motorex. still low , anyway I now notice it's a bit high. so without removing drain plugs ( as I don't want to damage orings & have to do filters as I don't have the parts ) so is there a way I can get some oil out to get the right oil level?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use these on my Mower as it has no drain plug - Or you could get a syringe and put some clear tube on it

View attachment 110970
View attachment 110971
Thanks so much! I was thinking the same, but I took the oil filler cap off motor, to look , looks like could be restrictive, so I'll try to get a very thin tube that's flexible.
I'll see what I can come up with.
Thanks Again Minlak!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Keep in mind that at correct checking temperature the difference between level at (correct) middle of glass to (too much) top of circle is less than 50ml. So depending how far up the sight window you are, it might not really be an issue. AFAIK it is a semi dry sump so its not the actual level of oil in the sump. Will not effect crank speed or oil temperature.
Of course, I could be wrong, so somebody correct me if so.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's for advice, this is the first wet sump MC I've owned for ages. I been riding dry sump MC's for ages.
With oil I don't like mixing, but I'm not worried about what type of oil. I just like to try & use the same brand & type oil the factory recommend. & just stick with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For folks that might stumble on this later on, if pulling a drain plug to correct oil level, the "better" plug to pull is the right (rearmost) plug. You can unscrew it, and just slightly pull it out, and get a very controlled drain of oil.

The LC8c is a claimed semi-dry sump motor, the left drain plug is for the crank sump, the right drain plug leads to the oil tank. There are multiple definitions of semi-dry, but in this case I believe that it means that the tank is built into the case of the motor.

For what it's worth, setting oil level on an LC8c is kind of a PITA, as the oil sight glass looks into the oil tank. Ideally, the way you set the level is to have a fully warm engine, level the bike (note, a rear stand can actually lead to an incorrect level without a corresponding front stand because the bike will be tilted, that is how finicky it is), run the engine, stop it, wait a minute, and then evaluate your oil level.

It's important to note that Motorex oils (Power Synt in the case of an LC8c) expand a lot when warm, so if you set your oil level cold, it will be "overfilled" when the bike is warm.

Slightly overfilled is probably better than underfull, given the bike is a semi-dry sump, as long as your total capacity does not cause the the sump pump to not be able to evacuate the sump but take that with a grain of salt as I have no idea whether that is 100% true or not.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For folks that might stumble on this later on, if pulling a drain plug to correct oil level, the "better" plug to pull is the right (rearmost) plug. You can unscrew it, and just slightly pull it out, and get a very controlled drain of oil.

The LC8c is a claimed semi-dry sump motor, the left drain plug is for the crank sump, the right drain plug leads to the oil tank. There are multiple definitions of semi-dry, but in this case I believe that it means that the tank is built into the case of the motor.

For what it's worth, setting oil level on an LC8c is kind of a PITA, as the oil sight glass looks into the oil tank. Ideally, the way you set the level is to have a fully warm engine, level the bike (note, a rear stand can actually lead to an incorrect level without a corresponding front stand because the bike will be tilted, that is how finicky it is), run the engine, stop it, wait a minute, and then evaluate your oil level.

It's important to note that Motorex oils (Power Synt in the case of an LC8c) expand a lot when warm, so if you set your oil level cold, it will be "overfilled" when the bike is warm.

Slightly overfilled is probably better than underfull, given the bike is a semi-dry sump, as long as your total capacity does not cause the the sump pump to not be able to evacuate the sump but take that with a grain of salt as I have no idea whether that is 100% true or not.
Thanks MXT it's all good now, I had not in fact overfilled, It was just slightly above engine inspection glass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts