KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me that is. I got it on a hot tip from a forum member (Thanks Barry!) that a friend of his sold his GT and had the seat leftover. A few emails and one paypal transaction later a box arrived at my doorstep(Thanks for the screaming deal Jim!). The first thing I got after swapping out the heated Ergo seat is that I got a "General Warning" from, I assume, disconnecting the Ergo from the bike. It came on at each startup throughout the day. I think I'll just have to live with it. The seat turned out to be the GT's missing link in my pursuit of the perfect motorcycle. I did nearly 300 miles and my butt didn't feel a thing! Not even a twinge and I'm REALLY picky about seats. It's an amazing level of comfort! It was the only glaring flaw I could find with the bike and now it's gone! Wow, that doesn't happen very often. I can finally move the bars back like I've always wanted to as well. The bucket in the Sargent gives me the ability to sit up in a natural position and the support and seat comfort to do so. Those of you wanting to sit more upright on your GT, this is the answer you're looking for. In a way I think it finally turned the GT into a touring bike for me. I'd be happy to do an Iron Butt on this bike now. Top marks from a guy that is very, very picky about seats. I'm happy and then some.

·
Registered
163 Posts
New to me that is. I got it on a hot tip from a forum member (Thanks Barry!) that a friend of his sold his GT and had the seat leftover. A few emails and one paypal transaction later a box arrived at my doorstep(Thanks for the screaming deal Jim!). The first thing I got after swapping out the heated Ergo seat is that I got a "General Warning" from, I assume, disconnecting the Ergo from the bike. It came on at each startup throughout the day. I think I'll just have to live with it. The seat turned out to be the GT's missing link in my pursuit of the perfect motorcycle. I did nearly 300 miles and my butt didn't feel a thing! Not even a twinge and I'm REALLY picky about seats. It's an amazing level of comfort! It was the only glaring flaw I could find with the bike and now it's gone! Wow, that doesn't happen very often. I can finally move the bars back like I've always wanted to as well. The bucket in the Sargent gives me the ability to sit up in a natural position and the support and seat comfort to do so. Those of you wanting to sit more upright on your GT, this is the answer you're looking for. In a way I think it finally turned the GT into a touring bike for me. I'd be happy to do an Iron Butt on this bike now. Top marks from a guy that is very, very picky about seats. I'm happy and then some.

You don’t have to live with the general warning. IIRC, you have a 2017 SDGT...turn the ignition on, scroll through the matrix display to the general screen and then to the heated grips and seat screen. Once there hit set, scroll to the heated seat and set button again to turn the heated seat off.

Doing this from memory, since my SDGT has been put to bed for the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Glad I could connect you with Jim and that you like the seat. Just an FYI for anyone that's interested, this was a custom modification of the OEM seat by Sargent--they don't make a seat for the GT. You can call Sargent (talk to Dane) and discuss this with him if you want to get your OEM seat modified the same way. I really like what Sargent does with their seats--in general they widen them to give more thigh support, dish them some to get rid of pressure points, and raise them in front to keep you from sliding forward into the tank. I just ordered one for my new Kawasaki 1000SX.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
408 Posts
I love Sargent seats; I've had Sargents on 3 different bikes over the years: the last 3 before my current SDGT.

But, I don't believe I'd want the SDGT seat to be any wider at the straddle than it already is. My artificial hip starts aching after a couple hours due to the splay of the OEM seat. Narrower is what would suit better for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Either of you have any pics of your Sargent seat?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish because I have a stock seat, the Ergo, and a Sargent that I can compare it to but I haven't added pics for a long time...

·
Registered
9 Posts
THANKS!!!! Now which is which? 1st pic , 2nd pic and 3rd pic ? Sorry , my wife says I'm needy too.;-)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first pic is the Ergo, the second is the stock seat, and the last pic is the Sargent. No worries. I'm glad to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks , really appreciate the time to share!! Still debating , also looking at Russell Day long , mostly for the wifey comfort. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks , really appreciate the time to share!! Still debating , also looking at Russell Day long , mostly for the wifey comfort. Thanks again!!!
I have an RDL for my FJR1300 that I swap out to for yearly 4,000 mile trips from Houston to the Rockies or Smokies and really like it for long distance comfort. Their claims to fame are the wide "wings" that give you excellent thigh support and the spring suspension system. It's slightly taller than the OEM seat and the extra width makes it impossible to flat foot the bike at a stop without sliding forward first to get your legs off the wings. I can easily do 600 mile days, but moving side-to-side on the seat for more sporty riding is a little restrictive. I've had the bike on The Dragon and other challenging roads numerous times and it's still a lot of fun, so not a big problem.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had a Day Long. I rode up to Redding 3 different times before I gave up. I hated that seat. However, I should explain my struggle in case there is something you can learn. You see the Day Long saddle works best for a sit up and beg seating posture, like you are seated at a table. My body doesn't like doing that. I get pain in my tailbone within minutes so the RDL would have never worked out for me. Put one on a Goldwing on a V-Strom and you've got something special. I had a Rick Mayer seat. I believe Rick was Russell's son. When he made my seat he explained that he could replicate the support that the seat springs provided by using different densities of foam and that foam technology had moved on since his dad first designed the seat. It was better that a spring gouging into my thighs but it was also meh for comfort. Again, it wasn't so bad but it wasn't for my body. The Sargent seat that came with my old Aprilia was instantly comfortable and supportive. In the Sargent seat in the pictures I can tell that the seat foam was shaved off very well and there is a good, supportive platform to spread the weight of your thighs. Then, where your tail and pelvic bones contact the seat, there was a hunk cut out and a layer of softer foam was added to reduce pressure at these points. After spending thousands of dollars and decades chasing the perfect seat I realize that for a seat to be comfortable to me it has to have those two elements and Sargent does that... With as sheepskin pad. YMMV. Hey Vincent, where do you live?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey DG , thanks for the Daylong review . Just looked at their website, don't think I'll be going that route. Probably just go with the Ergo for now. I'm in Covington ,Ga , east of Atl.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I am in the minority in disliking the Day Long Saddle so take my advice with a grain of salt. Everyone is different. However, I would say that the RDL design only works for an upright seating position and I don't think the GT is that kind of bike. On an FJR or a Goldwing they can be magic. Also, I believe that Rick Mayer Saddles eventually became Lamm Seats. They use the same idea as the RDL but with foam taking the place of the the metal rod. I am going to put my Ergo back on for the duration of winter and even into early fall. The heat it offers the butt and legs is too valuable to lose even if it makes my butt sore. One of the best things about the seat Sargent customized is that it removes the forward slant the oem seat and the Ergo have. In the pictures the Sargent looks like it slants forward but sitting on it feels neutral. That's a great thing. Also, I am afraid Atlanta is a few too many states away for us to meet up and have you try it. Gary is right, a Corbin is very good. In fact I can ride to any of these builders and have them make a seat for me in person. I've done it with Corbin, Russell, and Mayer. That is a huge plus for me. Sargent is in Florida. Is that close enough to make a "ride in" appointment with Sargent?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, I am in the minority in disliking the Day Long Saddle so take my advice with a grain of salt. Everyone is different. However, I would say that the RDL design only works for an upright seating position and I don't think the GT is that kind of bike. On an FJR or a Goldwing they can be magic. Also, I believe that Rick Mayer Saddles eventually became Lamm Seats. They use the same idea as the RDL but with foam taking the place of the the metal rod. I am going to put my Ergo back on for the duration of winter and even into early fall. The heat it offers the butt and legs is too valuable to lose even if it makes my butt sore. One of the best things about the seat Sargent customized is that it removes the forward slant the oem seat and the Ergo have. In the pictures the Sargent looks like it slants forward but sitting on it feels neutral. That's a great thing. Also, I am afraid Atlanta is a few too many states away for us to meet up and have you try it. Gary is right, a Corbin is very good. In fact I can ride to any of these builders and have them make a seat for me in person. I've done it with Corbin, Russell, and Mayer. That is a huge plus for me. Sargent is in Florida. Is that close enough to make a "ride in" appointment with Sargent?
I have to disagree somewhat about the RDL on a stock FJR. You do not sit upright on that bike with the OEM seat--there is a forward cant to your upper body with some weight on your arms (some riders actually install up and back risers to get rid of that, but not me--I also don't like sitting on my tailbone like you said and it's not good for your back as well). When you order an RDL (if you can't ride in), they ask you to send pictures of you sitting on the bike in your normal riding position and they use those to determine the correct design for you (like the seating angle). I also don't really feel the springs at all other than the elimination of some up and down movement like another suspension system. I will say that the seat is a little funky looking and not for everyone, but it looks okay on the FJR and does a great job for me. Not sure about one for a GT--I think Sargent is the best route for that bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts